14 years ago today...

I can't resist this... 25 years ago, my sister warned me of the Evils of Guns and how by owning guns I was Opening Myself Up To The Path of Violence.

[rofl2]

This ought to crack you up. Two days into a three year hitch.

army_recruits_07_12_61a.jpg

TBP

Hey BP, I went to Dix in 67 and the only picture I got was in the 'yearbook' we got when we 'graduated". I'll have to look at it again, it's been a long time since I peered thru it. Ought to be good for a laugh.

I laughed my butt off when I ran across this. At the time the picture was taken
I was not laughing. The photog was cracking jokes and I smiled but I had
already determined that I had made a huge error in judgement. My preminition
turned out to be right on target. I was not cut out for military life. Not
knocking it, but it wasn't for me. I learned a lot about life in a few short years,
but I never had those "life changing experiences" that I had heard so much about.

TBP

I just went thru my yearbook. WOW were we young kids ! I look at the pictures of the hand to hand combat poses and I just have to laugh.

It's funny that when I looked down at just the list of names, I could still see the faces of most of those guys.

Basic at DIX was described as 'infantry training'. I wonder how many of those kids never made it out of the Army. I went into MilIntel but I'm guessing that most stayed in combat type MOSes.

It was 1967 and I bet a whole lot of them ever came home.

It was nice looking at the book but I came away a bit sad.

I just went thru my yearbook. WOW were we young kids ! I look at the pictures of the hand to hand combat poses and I just have to laugh.

It's funny that when I looked down at just the list of names, I could still see the faces of most of those guys.

Basic at DIX was described as 'infantry training'. I wonder how many of those kids never made it out of the Army. I went into MilIntel but I'm guessing that most stayed in combat type MOSes.

I look at that photo and I wonder about that as well. It was pre-war and
the only thing going on at the time was the Berlin crisis (reason #1 that I got
my ass shipped off to europe for three years). Right after Kennedy was shot
they came around looking for vols to go to VN and as I had it right up to
'here' with France I wanted to sign up. I had a critical MOS that they wanted.
Well, since I only had seven months left on my enlistment they didn't want
to take me unless I extended (VN tour was 13 months). I would have rather
walked through hell at that time before I would have extended so I didn't go.

Interestingly enough, right after this and right up to the time I got out
everyone in the mil was walking on eggshells as they were extending
enlistments left and right. I was sure that I was going to get an extension
due to my MOS but I had a good friend in personnel and I made sure that I
stayed friends with him until I rotated. It never hurt to have friends in the
right place in the military.

TBP

I look at that photo and I wonder about that as well. It was pre-war and
the only thing going on at the time was the Berlin crisis (reason #1 that I got
my ass shipped off to europe for three years). Right after Kennedy was shot
they came around looking for vols to go to VN and as I had it right up to
'here' with France I wanted to sign up. I had a critical MOS that they wanted.
Well, since I only had seven months left on my enlistment they didn't want
to take me unless I extended (VN tour was 13 months). I would have rather
walked through hell at that time before I would have extended so I didn't go.

Interestingly enough, right after this and right up to the time I got out
everyone in the mil was walking on eggshells as they were extending
enlistments left and right. I was sure that I was going to get an extension
due to my MOS but I had a good friend in personnel and I made sure that I
stayed friends with him until I rotated. It never hurt to have friends in the
right place in the military.

TBP

This part is soooooooo true. " It never hurt to have friends in the
right place in the military."[wink]
Or as we would say low places.[laugh]

I was at Dix for basic and advance training in '67 too. Damn that was a long time ago!

Let's see, 34 years ago, I was at Fort Belvoir, VA, doing my AIT as a 52B20, Power Generator Mechanic. Still in after all these years.

For those of you that went through Ft Dix before me, I flattened it some more. Last time I was there was when my son came back from Iraq, I went there on a support mission as a bus driver.

Hell, Derek, you are a young pup. My son went in the year after you did, he's still in, will be for some time. He recently started working at the same shop where I work, he's an Artillery Mechanic, works on 105mm Towed Howitzers and Small Arms.

Same one that lives up my way?

Seems we corrupted hre daughter already. That girl just loves AR's and 1911A1's.
That's her.

Corrupted her daughter, son and it looks like her future daughter-in-law, too. Seems that my nephew is getting serious about his girlfriend. (Poor Ben... his sister's name is Liz and his girlfriend's name is Liz. That's gotta be real weird...)

No weirder than one of Glenn's sister's is named Suzanne, me Susanne, and he has an aunt Susan. Now what makes it even more fun is when we all have the same DR's office. Making sure we have the right records. 2 of us still have the same last name also.

Ok, one more for ya...When I lived in CT, I had 2 ladies with the same first AND last name. Turns out, one was the current wife and one was the ex-wife of another one of my patients. I found out because the husband came in to pick up a script for his wife, and I jokingly mentioned that there was another person with the same name..."Oh yeah, that's my ex-wife...I figured I'd marry someone with the same name so I never screw it up." [slap]

Anyways, enough hijacking Derek's thread....

15 Years ago in January. (Scanned images so the quality sucks). In a tent in Saudi.
SaudiJanuary1991.jpg

Here is the much more attractive Mrs. Ranger4-7 on a Field Training exercise back in 1989 (wretched Ho still weighs the same even three kids later!)
She's on the far right.
97thGeneralFTX1989.jpg

Here's the "send a photo to mom and dad" shot from 1991
1LTGermany1991.jpg

Back
Top Bottom