1911 frame purchase

I asked this question elsewhere but hope to get an answer faster here..I would like to build my final handgun and want to know how one goes about getting a frame from Caspian or STI or Para Ord. ?? It will not be a carry gun..It will have optic sights and perhaps a compinsated barrel in the 355 family of calibers.. Informal compitition and general range use is the object of this handgun..
Hope someone can help me..

You would have to find a dealer that will make the order for you. Not illegal in MA, however you will have a VERY hard time finding the FFL to do it for you.

NO ONE here will divulge their source unless they know you personally.
As well, if you do find an FFL that will agree to it DO NOT publicly post that information. If you want to share it with people you know here, you must use the PM feature.

Thanks
Adam

I would love to find an FFL that can do this for me as wel as I'm looking to build a 9mm 1911. If anyone can PM some info, I would appreciate it. I don't know anyone personally on this board but I've sold some stuff to board members FTF.....

The problem with doing a transfer on an SVI frame is the fact that SVI no longer sells just the frame. I tried doing this and they told me they only sell complete guns. You may be able to find one from someone online that will ship it to you.

Pete

I have the same problem I already purchased the 1911 slide kit and the parts for the frame and now i'm just missing the frame. I can't get a dealer to order me a new essex frame all that i talk to frown on it. I sit here disabled with nothing to do. I have built 155mm howitzers for the US Army and CNC machines for jet engines and the M1 Abrams Tank ect. I own a few new and used 1911's I just wanted to build a 1911 myself. I already had a slide kit left over from another project so the lower frame assembly should be easy to get right? I just want to fit the slide to the frame and the barrel/slide to a national match barrel bushing. Thats it a basic no frills 1911 thats accurate nothing special. It will probably cost me more when its done than buying a new 1911 but "I" built it I got the bragging rights if its accurate.

I had the same problem getting military surplus guns too. When i first wanted some no one would order them for me locally and the ones they had were double the price. I had to get my C&RFFL01 to bypass the dealers BS. I have one more guy to try.

I wanted to build a 9mm 1911 too but after seeing this BS i purchased a Star B in 9mm for $259.

Last edited:
To Bigbill,try collectors coin gallery in stoneham..last time I was there I saw a complete essex frame in the case.Also auto-ordnance is now selling 1911s as they are based here in mass now.Their pistol except for the rectangular cut in the barrel hood for a loaded chamber indicator is identical to a series 80 colt..same series 80 safety mechanism see if some one like 4 sesons in woburn can order a frame from them.[smile]

Big Dave; I just picked up a new Auto-Ordnance Army WW2 copy 1911a1 and a SpringField Armory G.I. ww2 copy also. The Auto-Ordnance Army is the only one we shot so far and its been flawless for 250rds+ its one of my best new 1911a1's i have ever owned. As far as being flawless and cycling perfect its right up there with my used chinese norinco 1911a1 too. I'd like to get another Auto-Ordnance Army to put away unshot just incase they stop production someday too. It cost me $389 at my local dealer here and the SA was $419.

I wanted to do a build to keep busy.

Love those norincos..I think they have chrome lined barrels.The auto ordnance is next on my list$400 is a great price for one.

For what it's worth,

AFS had a Colt 1911 frame for sale as of yesterday morning.

Note also that a frame is a "firearm" under Federal law (read: 4473 required), but NOT under Mass. law. There is NO intelligent reason for a dealer NOT to sell you a frame and NO intelligent reason for an FA-10 to be completed if you do buy one.

However, once the frame becomes a complete gun, the FA-10 IS required.

Thats weird that it would be that way for handguns but my 2 AR lowers from Bushmaster were registered to me just as if it were a complete rifle..any one know why the difference?

Big Dave, because most dealers and citizens don't have a clue about the law. They tend to over-react or refuse to do something perfectly legal just because of ignorance.

I watched a private party sell a 1911 frame at a swap meet. He insisted on filling in the FA-10 as a 5" .45ACP, etc. even though he sold strictly a lower without barrel or slide! His comment was "I have to register this sale exactly like the gun I purchased on an FA-10 when I bought it" even though he stripped the gun and sold it as a part!

Big Dave, what barrel length and caliber did your lower come in?[frown] [angry]

Bushmaster marked 5.56 xm15e2s..no barrel legnth listed on the registration form but hi cap box marked and rifle box marked just no barrel legnth because it was a stripped lower.I was asked wether I was building a rifle or pistol.ventually 1 got built as a 20" rifle for my brother and the other I still have stripped for a rainy day.

Last edited:
BigBill said:
Big Dave; I just picked up a new Auto-Ordnance Army WW2 copy 1911a1 and a SpringField Armory G.I. ww2 copy also. The Auto-Ordnance Army is the only one we shot so far and its been flawless for 250rds+ its one of my best new 1911a1's i have ever owned. As far as being flawless and cycling perfect its right up there with my used chinese norinco 1911a1 too. I'd like to get another Auto-Ordnance Army to put away unshot just incase they stop production someday too. It cost me $389 at my local dealer here and the SA was $419.

I wanted to do a build to keep busy.

Where is your local dealer and what is his business name?

Thanks,

TBP

Scrivener said:
AFS had a Colt 1911 frame for sale as of yesterday morning.

I just checked on this and the asking price on them (there are two) is $450
each. They are carbon steel (unfinished) and they are on consignment. Not
much of a bargain. I hope the seller didn't pay that much for them as he is
likely not going to get that much for them in the near future, even in the PRM.

TBP

Back
Top Bottom