Polymer 1911 .45 acp ?

AFVet

NES Member
Do any of you guys know if somebody makes a polymer 1911 frame or if this type of frame would be able to take the beating that a metal 1911 frame would ? Thank you guys. Paul

I know.... lol. But i'm wondering why i've never seen one. Paul

You've never seen them because blasphemy.

Seriously, I know plastic 1911s exist. But I've always given them the attention they deserve: none.

I Bing'd "polymer frame 1911" and found some shill reviews for polymer framed 1911s. "Feels good in the hand. Flawless performance except for an out of battery detonation that amputated my thumb, probably bad ammo and not the gun's fault. The table below shows 7 yard group sizes to tenth of a thousandths inch precision."

They are out there I guess, but not popular. 2011s are a different story.

Last edited:
It's fun to imagine what JMB would have done if asked to design a plastic gun. Maybe at that point a Bakelite gun :)

SVIs up until a couple of years ago had a polymer grip on a frame that was pretty much the rail part of the gun, and STIs are still available in this configuration (long story, but there was a splitup many years and, and STI got the mould). It is a hard plastic not subject to flex. The Bul M-5 uses a polymer frame that looks a bit less rigid, though I am not sure if it still in production. Most of the stuff the Israelis make to kill people is pretty good(*), so I would not sell it short.

* - Before someone accuses me of violating political correctness, that was a compliment.

It's fun to imagine what JMB would have done if asked to design a plastic gun. Maybe at that point a Bakelite gun :)

JMB was a self-educated genius. If he was alive these days, he'd be building polymer guns with a 3D printer and changing the future of gun ownership. Not fawning over nostalgic old guns. The man went from designing the ultimate BPCR single shot Winchester 1885 to the Browning Hi Power. That was literally the beginning and end of his career - a single shot hunting and target rifle versus a 13-shot, 9x19 modern combat handgun.

1. Point your browser to google.com
  2. Type polymer 1911 into the search field
  3. Press the ENTER key
Actually i spent a few hours looking up all the crap i got back from google, and most of was about large frame polymer glock style frames because they included 1911 in the name. But thank you very much for the tip and info about google. i never would have thought of looking there.

So...use the google?
Yes, i did, and after getting a shitload of adds and glock answers i decided to ask the experts here. I apologize to you and your other google buddy for the effort it took you guys to answer, but i was really expecting the people that know what they are talking about and actually know how to respond with a helpful answer to respond. And they did .

Yes, i did, and after getting a shitload of adds and glock answers i decided to ask the experts here. I apologize to you and your other google buddy for the effort it took you guys to answer, but i was really expecting the people that know what they are talking about and actually know how to respond with a helpful answer to respond. And they did .

Welcome to the Internet bro! ;)

With such a thin delicate skin, you'll have a difficult time out here on the google. Perhaps lighten up Francis?

PS
D0FDE1F7-B1D3-4C8F-B8F5-CD64FB945E89.png

Last edited:
Good "Stripes" reference,, my original question was does anyone make a polymer 1911 frame. and then . would this type of frame be able to take the beating that metal frames do. Since "everyone" tends to build "glocks" i considered building a poly-wuflu 1911. but i started picturing the metal slide slamming out 7 to 10 rounds as fast and often as a blue or stainless steel gun, and my minds eye saw a slide either entering my right eyeball, or following the round downrange like the early S&W's did for the State Police. Or just shatter in mid cycle and hurt myself and bystanders. I have not owned or shot a poly framed pistol , i know i will at some point. But i want to get back to building 1911's, the more Frankenstein the better. While i have you guys here...... what is the reason for buying a slide "casting" or are those for the professionals that actually know what they are doing and not just a parts person like me.... Paul

Good "Stripes" reference,, my original question was does anyone make a polymer 1911 frame. and then . would this type of frame be able to take the beating that metal frames do. Since "everyone" tends to build "glocks" i considered building a poly-wuflu 1911. but i started picturing the metal slide slamming out 7 to 10 rounds as fast and often as a blue or stainless steel gun, and my minds eye saw a slide either entering my right eyeball, or following the round downrange like the early S&W's did for the State Police. Or just shatter in mid cycle and hurt myself and bystanders. I have not owned or shot a poly framed pistol , i know i will at some point. But i want to get back to building 1911's, the more Frankenstein the better. While i have you guys here...... what is the reason for buying a slide "casting" or are those for the professionals that actually know what they are doing and not just a parts person like me.... Paul

If you want to understand the durability of a pistol, look at competitors who shoot 10k-100k rounds a year. Not a single competitor I'm aware of in USPSA single stack division (or whatever IDPA equivalent) is using a polymer frame 1911. Polymer grips on the other hand are popular on 2011s, but the receiver (that hold the hammer and sear pins) is still carbon steel.

But if you must have a polymer frame 1911, they are clearly out there and cheap...

There are some very high quality polymers out there that cost way more than steel, but cost less to machine.

1911s like tight tolerances. Very very tight tolerances. You ever try to polish polymer?

The other issue with some polymers is they cure with an exothermic reaction (heat). Overheating may cause brittleness. Most polymer guns the frame doesn't hold a ton of forces, but this may actually be very different with the 1911 because of the barrel locking lug. I bet the forces in this one spot make anything polymer a no-go.

There are scandium 1911s out there that will save you ~10oz.

It sounds to me like you want a lightweight 1911. Carry issues can be mitigated with a good belt and holster. Otherwise you might need to do some benchpress, rows, and clean-jerks until its not a problem. Or, you know, pick a modern handgun that doesn't weigh 3 lbs. Whatever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom