1911 Mags

As you may know, I recently purchased a Para PCX745R from member badllama. I was wonder if anyone can recommend good after market mags for this. The gun comes with 2 7-round mags. Also this gun as a 4.25" barrel, so would that make it a "Commander" style?

New to 1911's so I'm just trying to figure it out.

Thanks
Adam

Watch Midway Products, every so often they have a sale on 1911 mags that are pretty good. Hi Standard I think and they are quite good for the money.

For hi-end mags I like Chip McCormick magazines. Again, I wait for a sale and stock up on a few for my 1911's.

I do use Midway but I was looking on the site and I am just not sure if any old 7 round 1911 mag will work. I am new to 1911 and want to make sure I get the right ones. That's also why I asked if a 1911 with a 4.25" barrel is considered a "Commander" style, because under the 1911 section for mags it lists 1911 Government, 1911 Commander, and 1911 Officer.

Adam

If I were a betting man, I'd wager you need Officer mag's.

http://www.paraord.com/pages/mags.html

Para Ordnance Single Stack Pistol Magazines are widely available as after market products. Our D7 Models carry the same magazine as the Colt Government 7 Round Magazine.

Our C7 Models carry the came magazine as the Colt Officer Magazine. Seven (7) round magazines can be purchased through any one of our distributors or your local dealer. Click here to find your local dealer. If they do not have any in stock, they can place an order for you. Conversely you may purchase these magazines from our online store The Para Pro Shop

Also, after market Magazines such as the after Market Colt magazines will also work in this pistol. See Below for a complete Magazine listing.

The Para PCX745R is a Colt Commander-sized pistol and should take the Government/Commander-sized magazines. The Government Model and the Commander are the same frame size and use the same magazines. Just take your Para magazine to your local gun shop and check it against the Colt mags. Or, if you are on good and familiar terms, just take the pistol itself.

Nickle - You owe us. :D

Midway lists Gov't, Commander and Officer seperately under mag's. Why, if Gov't mag's and Commander mag's interchange?

I use a Gov't model, and MIL-SPEC mag's (w/ mfr code), so please, educate me.

And yes, I figured Para was being vague on the site.

Send me the bill.

Midway lists Gov't, Commander and Officer seperately under mag's. Why, if Gov't mag's and Commander mag's interchange?

I do not know why they list the Government Model and Commander model separately. But if you look at the entries, they are basically the same.

But trust me. I have both Government size and Commander size pistols and I use the same mags in each.

The Officer Models are a smaller frame and flush-fit mags are 6-rounders IIRC. However, the larger mags also work. They just stick out from the bottom.

Disclaimer: The above information is accurate for Colt pistols and true clones. All others must be checked for compatibility.

I got a nice supply of Wilson mags when the shop on Rt9 in Northborough went out of business. Been great.

The Chip McCormick mags - are those the "Shooting Stars"? I've had awful luck with those. Have had the follower pop out and jam the mag into the gun when shot empty. I have both an 8 and 10 round version and both have been bad. Only use them now for 'charging' purposes.

Called Para and the verdict is in.
This is a Commander size/style pistol.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Adam

Chris,

The Chip McCormick mags - are those the "Shooting Stars"? I've had awful luck with those.

You are about the only person I have ever heard who has had problems with them. I've shot probably 2,000 rounds or so out of mine and never had any problem.

Everyone's mileage varies I guess.

I am asking because I would like to stick with 7 round mags so they don't stick out the bottom of the gun, and the only ones Midway has that fit the bill are Ed Brown, Kimber, MecGar, Springfield, and Wilson. The Kimber and Springfield are the best price.

Adam

You could always peddle them off if they aren't what you want. If the base plate of the mag shows a mfr code and mil part #, they're probably real MIL-SPEC. I'd definitely give the ones from SG a try.

Nickle,
I wish I could, but if you see Ken's post the AG says I'm not allowed. Anyway, I ordered 2 of the Springfield Stainless 7 round mags from Midway.. I'll let you all know how they work (hopefully I will have them by Sunday) after a trip to the range.

Adam
PS. They were only 14.59 each

Only aftermarket mags that I use are Wilson standard capacity mags (7 round for full size, 6 round for officers). The OEM mags that came with my Kimbers were made by Mecgar. They work well, though I use Wilson's (with a larger base pad) for my reloads.

I've got some Chip McCormick mags. I don't like his base pads or followers. YMMV.

mags

hi adam
my 2 cents cmc power mags or tripp. you know how much i shoot ha ha
after 3000 round i had to rebuild wilson mags . so buy a ton of cmc power mags i have (20) 3 year warrnty on power mags. you cant
beat that with a stick :D
howie

Yeah Howie you were telling me about the warranty this past weekend.. I think I will have to check into those..

Adam

Howie,

Welcome back!

What is Virgil Tripp's warranty? Sounds like "satisfaction" warranty to me based on what recently transpired. Can't ask for better than that.

I like Virgil's mags a lot better than the Wilsons that came with my S&W 1911, but both have worked well for me thru probably ~4K rds total to date.

hi len

yes virgil is a stand-up guy. he takes good care of uncle jim.
and a lot of guys on" the list "
think the same about him.great guy to do deal with
see you sunday if you can make it to tyngsboro
howie

FPrice said:
Chris,

The Chip McCormick mags - are those the "Shooting Stars"? I've had awful luck with those.

You are about the only person I have ever heard who has had problems with them. I've shot probably 2,000 rounds or so out of mine and never had any problem.

I gotta back up my man Chris on this one. I have had awful luck with my Chip McCormack mags. I should sell 'em.

Cross-X said:
FPrice said:
Chris,

I gotta back up my man Chris on this one. I have had awful luck with my Chip McCormack mags. I should sell 'em.

Darius,

Since you have been so good to me over the years, tell you what. Just pack up all of those CM magazines, send 'em to me, and I'll dispose of them for you.

Call it...professional courtesy!

[roll]

Back
Top Bottom