"1911'Z " I am so confused.

Ok here's the deal, Just picked up and older Rock Island GI-Spec, 1911. This I my first 1911. So this is what I want to do, I want to add a Beaver Tail grip safety, but I have been reading that it's not as easy as I would think. QUESTION!! Is this going to be a project where I am going to be chain smoking and drinking more at night? I also have been reading that once the beaver tail is in I will have to change the Hammer, or Vise versa. I would like to add a spur hammer any way, along with a matching trigger. Can any one offer any advice, or know of any good reading material? Preferably with pictures attached?..LOL my mind is going crazy. Thanks

Rob

Pay a gunsmith to do it right. Greg Derr, David Santurri, etc., can tell you which parts you'll need, which work best, and how much it will cost.

Many (most?) beavertail safeties will require that the frame be radiused. All must be fitted if they are to work properly and safely. You will be filing on the frame, and it is a whole lot easier to take off metal than it is to put it back on.

If you really want to play a gunsmith, want to spend a fair bit for the right tools, then get the Kuhnhausen manuals and start reading.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=32957/sku/_45_Auto_Manual__Volume_I
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=32964/sku/M1911_Pistols_Manual__Volume_II

Pay a gunsmith to do it right. Greg Derr, David Santurri, etc., can tell you which parts you'll need, which work best, and how much it will cost.

+1 to this advice.

If you want to learn how to work on your own guns, you should consider making friends with someone who knows what to do CORRECTLY and is willing to teach you. I have gotten a few lessons from some knowledgeable people and can do a few minor things myself.

Right now I am trying to "build" a .22lr version of a Colt Government model. My studies and reading have convinced me to turn this over to a local 'smith to have it done right (it's an absolutely bare frame at this point). And I hope to look over his shoulder at some points to learn what needs to be done the right way.

+1 on the gunsmith. The metalwork is not all that esy and the change to a new hammer will most likely require a trigger job.

The Kuhnhauson manuals are a must. I built a 1911 a1 from a bare bones frame/slide going real slow and reading everything possible. If you have some patience and the right tools, it is alot of fun to do yourself.
If you sqrew it up though, you are going to have to pay to fix/replace it.

If you are a visual learner you can try to get your hands on the American Gunsmithing Institute 1911 series, the complete Wilson 1911 build series or search the web high and low.

I found reading the shop manuals gave great insight into the mechanical workings, but where and how to cut material off to get the pieces to fit was another story. Seeing it done first hand was very helpful for me personally.

Back
Top Bottom