1st Time Deep Sea Fishing, Helpful Hints?

I've been asked to go out for the day with 5 other guys deep sea fishing. The 6 of us leave out of New London Ct. the last Sunday of Sept.

Never been one for fishing always liked shooting stuff instead. Don't know what to expect or how to prepare for the trip.

I plan on carrying my weapon and bringing rain gear other than that is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for the heads up!

Leave the "weapon" at home.

Take lots of warm waterproof clothing in a duffel or backpack. Some latex gloves are nice to have along with a couple of old rags. Some snacks and bottles of water are nice to have. Have fun, it can be a blast.

Leave your ego ashore and take Dramamine or Bonine BEFORE you leave. Chumming is a good way to get fish, but doing it with your breakfast isn't fun. (No, I don't know from personal experience, just from watching the guy fishing WITH me who was singing his lunch!)

Wait on the beers for the trip back to port (or even better, when you're at home relaxing and telling them about the big one - that got away). Ginger snaps are a good snack and go well with ginger ale. Sunglasses and sunblock - you'd be surprised how brutal the sun reflecting off the water can be. A cooler and ice for the catch (think positive). Insist the captain provide a safety briefing before you depart. Locating a PFD stowed inside the forward cabin's lockers when the boat is sinking would be stressful.

Leave your ego ashore and take Dramamine or Bonine BEFORE you leave. Chumming is a good way to get fish, but doing it with your breakfast isn't fun. (No, I don't know from personal experience, just from watching the guy fishing WITH me who was singing his lunch!)

Yup, I take the Bonine as soon as I wake up that day. Defiantly a must.

I start with Bonine the night before so it is in my system already. Then again when I get up. Eat very light, avoid fatty/greasy foods, sugars and coffee. I do know from experience lol. I would have some dry toast for breakfast and only drink water. Not as much fun as beer but I get violently ill.

Wait on the beers for the trip back to port (or even better, when you're at home relaxing and telling them about the big one - that got away). Ginger snaps are a good snack and go well with ginger ale. Sunglasses and sunblock - you'd be surprised how brutal the sun reflecting off the water can be. A cooler and ice for the catch (think positive). Insist the captain provide a safety briefing before you depart. Locating a PFD stowed inside the forward cabin's lockers when the boat is sinking would be stressful.

I hadn't heard of using ginger snaps before. I will put that on my "to try" list.

+2 on the safety. Be prepared!

Bonine a must. Rather take it and not need it then the other way around. Nothing ruins a trip more then being sick. Do not drink the night before. Eat a good breakfast. Keep your eyes on the horizon if the boat starts rocking. Have fun and bring beers and a stoggie

Definitely a good breakfast.
I've heard people say they didn't want their stomach full because they were afraid they would get sick. I find that just the opposite is true.
My wife easily gets car sick, 1 Bonnie and a good breakfast and she has never hurled at sea and we have seen some serious rocking.

If you do get sick while you are out you can chew(don't swallow) a dramamine or bonine tablet and hold the mush under your tongue as long as you can. The medicine will be absorbed through the thin skin under your tongue instead of being lost overboard the next time you get sick. Other than than stay hydrated and do not go inside if you are getting sick. The fresh air and view of the horizon can help you get over the sickness.

enjoy your trip.

Wear shoes with a good grip as the decks do get slippery!
I would bring extra clothes to layer as if you are leaving early and coming back late you will see some weather change that you want to be prepared for.
I have also had good expierence with using sea sickness wrist bands. They carry them at CVS.

If this is a charter type trip, then the skipper will supply the rod/reel/tackle/hooks/bait, etc...... They'll also be in a good position (depending on what you are fishing for) to tell you HOW to fish for it.

Other than that, expect what others have suggested:
  • You'll get wet
  • You'll get cold
  • You'll get hungry
  • You'll get sick
  • You'll get tired
  • You'll have FUN!!!!

Back
Top Bottom