2 new LTCs

Must be that time of the month.

Wife and I just got our LTC's last Thursday 7/31.

Attleboro, MA
Submitted our applications June 30
Fingerprints and pictures July 7
Checks cashed about 2 weeks after
Call to pick up our licenses on July 31 (3 1/2 weeks)

2 new unrestricted LTC-A's

I've been lurking for a month or two already and be going green shortly.

Any suggestions on clubs/ranges? Newbie/young(ish) friendly. We're in our early thirties w/ limited experience.

There doesn't seem to be much recent talk about the clubs in my area. Angle Tree is close. Mansfield and Independent have also been suggested.

TIA

Last edited:
Great way to make an entrance! Welcome to the forum, both of you.

All three clubs you mention offer some good choices. Some do more shotgun than others, and some do more pistol. Ask a few member how they fell.

I don't know about you, but I like someplace close to go, so it isn't a great effort to get to the range.

Mansfield strikes me as having somewhat limited facilities, but they're trying to raise money for an indoor range, AND they're VERY friendly there - in fact, their president is on NES: 50 BMG is his screen name.

Must be that time of the month.

Attleboro, MA
Submitted our applications June 30
Fingerprints and pictures July 7
Checks cashed about 2 weeks after
Call to pick up our licenses on July 31 (3 1/2 weeks)

2 new unrestricted LTC-A's

I've been lurking for a month or two already and be going green shortly.

Any suggestions on clubs/ranges? Newbie/young(ish) friendly. We're in our early thirties w/ limited experience.

There doesn't seem to be much recent talk about the clubs in my area. Angle Tree is close. Mansfield and Independent have also been suggested.

TIA

Congrats on your licenses.
I can definitely understand being new at this. I got my license just about 1 year ago and knew nothing.

Try a few videos made by this woman which will introduce you to some basic 1911 terminology. Her youtube username is "limalife" and I think she has some great videos on there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife

congrats on the permits!!!

I am looking at ranges still and while I will be joining MRA soon enough, I am also looking at Angle Tree and Mansfield. Mansfield is going to be closer to my new home, but at this very moment, I am still an Attleboro resident.

Dont leave out American Firearms School. If you want a range to practice at and can stick the target a mere 3 yards away, I believe this is one of the few around that let you set the distance of the targets. I could be wrong. Just be advised, the general public who go there tend to have somewhat sloppy gun control and understanding of safety rules. I never joined there, but will go shoot there if it is quiet so that I can get the range basically to myself.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your LTC's

If you would like a tour of Sharon Fish and Game please feel free to PM me, I would be happy to show you around. - Jonathan

TIA

Congrats on the LTCs.

Go thru the list of gun clubs on www.goal.org, go to the links for each club in your area. List what's important for you in a club, then pay a visit on a Sunday morning to the narrowed-down list of clubs to see what they have for facilities and how friendly (or not) they are towards newbies. This is a technique that I used a few times in finding my first and much later, my next club.

Another option is shouting out here for someone to meet you at a particular club to show you around. I would recommend doing this "second". The folks here are friendly and more than helpful . . . but you also want to see some of the "normal people" [smile] at a club you are interested in before plunking money down and joining.

You should also join GOAL if you haven't already. Family membership is only an additional $5/year. 508-393-5333

Congratulations on the His and Hers LTC's.

American Firearms School does not have the market cornered on shooters with sloppy gun control, you can find them anywhere. The staff does a good job supervising newbies (we were all there once). You will never have to cross the firing line to change a target, think about that when you're walking the 100 yards at a range wondering if Homer heard the "cease fire". Next year I'll be looking to add an outdoor range (100 yards) membership for bench rest rifle shooting, and Angle Tree or Mansfield F&G will be considered for this.

AFS is run like a business, which it is. I have never had a less than satisfactory experience, shooting 2-3 time per week. You have the opportunity to rent various firearms of calibers you may want to test drive before you buy. There are virtually no limits on firearms or ammunition. Shotgun with 00 Buckshot? No problem. No one will be telling you the range is limited to .22LR caliber.

I look forward to shooting through the winter there.

Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome. I might also humbly suggest that besides "going green" that you also consider joining GOAL. Since you are in Massachusetts, GOAL is your state level organization. A wise investment, considering the political realities in the People's Republic.

Enjoy the forum!

[smile]

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your LTC's

If you would like a tour of Sharon Fish and Game please feel free to PM me, I would be happy to show you around. - Jonathan

could I tag along on a tour of Sharon Fish and Game? that could possibly be on the list!

As a Member of Mansfield, please feel free to ask me anything about the club that you like. I'll be more than happy to show you around and answer any question I can.

As Ross said, we're VERY friendly. We allow more freedoms that Angle Tree and we're open to Class III firearms. We allow rapid fire if you're safe. If you're alone, you can set up your own senarios, and walk the range. We have fishing. And you can draw from the hip.

As was said, we only have a 50 and a 100 yard range. There's talk of a 7 yard range. And we did have it set up for archery. We're working on an indoor range...but it's a year or more down the road.

Draw from the hip, the ability to set up scenarios, and fishing?

This might warrant further investigation on my part. [smile]

As a Member of Mansfield, please feel free to ask me anything about the club that you like. I'll be more than happy to show you around and answer any question I can.

As Ross said, we're VERY friendly. We allow more freedoms that Angle Tree and we're open to Class III firearms. We allow rapid fire if you're safe. If you're alone, you can set up your own senarios, and walk the range. We have fishing. And you can draw from the hip.

As was said, we only have a 50 and a 100 yard range. There's talk of a 7 yard range. And we did have it set up for archery. We're working on an indoor range...but it's a year or more down the road.

C-pher, I've been hearing "One or more years down the road" since 1985. It really has become an inside joke at Mansfield. While the new "regime" at Mansfield has done a terrific job for the current year, there is still a lot that has to happen. Besides that, do you have to go telling everyone how much freedom there is at Mansfield? Heck, I was there with my dog yesterday and we had the whole place to ourselves but for Old John W. over on the 100 yard range.[grin] It's like I own my own range. And you want to tell everybody!!! [crying]

You're probably the same kind of guy that tells people where your favorite fishing spot is. [thinking]

Maybe with you and a few more young and healthy shooters, that indoor range will become a reality in my lifetime.

No offense meant to anybody at MF&G, past or present. Just how it is. [wink]

Yes, they have a pretty good deal on them usually. She's only fired one once during her basic safety course, but she was much more comfortable shooting it compared to my Sig P228, which is the only pistol she'd ever fired before. This was her target from the course. Considering this was only her second time ever shooting and her first time ever with the G22, I'm all for getting her one of her own if she can do this with it:
standard.jpg

Of course, she WANTED a brand new one until I explained the 10/98 regulations....she's slowly just starting to understand all the ranting and moaning I've done over the years about our gun laws and regulations. It's awesome to see this "awakening" in her.

Back
Top Bottom