2006 plans....

Well, with the cool weather this weekend, and the talk about the bird place, got me to thinking about this hunting season...

What are your plans for this upcoming hunting season?

I am planning on hunting at least pheasant, and deer in both the shotgun, and muzzle loader seasons. I will also be making at least 1 trip to Maine for the rifle season, and have a chance to go for a week long trip, into Norther Maine for the big boys. Very secluded location, that we will have to rent an RV so we will have a place to sleep. Drive it back into the woods, and have at it....

I wouldn't mind splitting a motel room with someone for a hunting weekend in VT either, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

How bout' the rest of you?

I'll be going out for a little bit of everything this year. I'll be hitting the WMA's for squirrels & pheasant soon. I got skunded during spring turkey season but I'll be happy if I can bag a you bird in the second half of the season.

I just broke out the bow for some archery pratice and I will be bowhunting for deer until shotgun season starts.

Side note - I finally received the rifled slug barrel for my Mossy 535 today !

I'm taking the muzzleloader course at the Leominster Sportsman's club that's starting this Friday evening so I can continue deer season right up to the end of December - unless I get lucky and fill my tags !

Phesants this fall.... That's pretty much the only game that I like in which I can consume in a timely matter.

I don't have any. I never hunted before. Never had anybody to hunt with and didn't think it wise to be blundering around out in the woods all by myself. [smile]

Plus, I don't know anything about what you do after you kill the animal. I know you have to skin it and what not but I don't know how to do it.

I did get my basic hunter's education certificate though a few years back. That's as far as I went with it though.

Hey Derek, can I have a wing or a leg if you nail a pheasant or two? [laugh]

Hey Derek, can I have a wing or a leg if you nail a pheasant or two? [laugh]

You will be pretty disappointed if you only get a leg or wing... Little meat on them. You take the pheasants, and mainly keep the breasts. That's where all the good meat is.

Don't they make them in a Super Size version? [laugh]

You will be pretty disappointed if you only get a leg or wing... Little meat on them. You take the pheasants, and mainly keep the breasts. That's where all the good meat is.

Squirrel is a hoot and west of 95 starts at the end of September. I have
a couple of honey holes at some WMAs (yeah, me and 200 other guys). After that
Pheasant, hopefully with a bit of preserve shooting mixed in. Shotgun and
ML deer season next, but I am of two minds about deer season. I love it and
have a few "Deery" spots but the pressure on public land is so intense that
it drives me nuts. Nothing like spending a day queitly sitting among the
shrubbery watching *7* people pass by in 4 hours!

This year I have resolved to stop hunting alone. If anyone wants to chase
squirrels, birds or bunnies, let me know, I am good to go. It's just so much
more fun when there are other people to talk to. Anyone with a dog willing
to take in a sad, lonely hunter ? [sad]

I am going to hunt deer, archery, shotgun and muzzleloader. Mostly in my back yard and on my uncles horse farm. Hopefully I'll do more duck and goose hunting than the last few years, again in the back yard and a lot in the North and South River(s). Would like to do some bunny hunting but most of the rabbitat around here has been taken over by the dog walkers. And any coyote that I see will get stuck or shot. I can't wait.

If anyone wants to chase
squirrels, birds or bunnies, let me know, I am good to go. It's just so much
more fun when there are other people to talk to. Anyone with a dog willing
to take in a sad, lonely hunter ? [sad]

I would be up for squirrel, and rabbit. I have a dog, but the trainer doesn't feel she will be ready for the field this year. She'll only be around 7-8 months old for bird season, and we have to work on flush and stop. She will be fast enough, and have the ability to jump high enough to take a pheasant out of the air once it takes off. Right now, from standing, she can hop up high enough to touch my nose with hers.

We just have to get a dog still for bird hunting.[grin] See what the boy wants when he gets back. Although we do have a soft spot for springers.[laugh]

Planning on deer and bear hunting this year. I will be using a bow, black powder, shotgun and a 30-06. Think I have all the seasons covered [smile]

Brings me to another question. Because you can't bait for bear in MA what do you use for lure/attractant ? Luck ?

I remember someone on here that was local to the area looking for some hunting spots. Don't forget to hit me up! Season is getting here fast.

I got my bear stamp as well... Not sure if I will make it out, but it would be cool to go.

Adam

Better than cool. The state of MA lets you use a center-fire rifle to hunt with. It is the only season they allow this to my knowledge.
And I am told that bear meat is yummy [smile]

I got my postcard yesterday for the antlerless deer tag...Mailing it in today. God only knows when the hell I'll have a chance to go.
Got mine on Sat. and it is going in the mail today. Zone 3
I will probably pick one up for Zone 11 as well.
The little time that I have to hunt, if it's brown it's down [smile] Fact is I couldn't take 2 shots last year because of what was behind them, sucks [crying] They were my only 2 chances last year too [crying]

Chris, you REALLY want to try and take down a bear with a .357?

(yeah, I know about the guy who killed a bear with a 9mm... but I think that that was pure luck on his part - Diana guided his aim!)

Back
Top Bottom