2011 Annual Cast Bullet Workshop - May 21st 2011 - Shirley Rod & Gun Club

Boris,
If you are stuck for some lead I can spot you 20lbs.

Let me know.

Many thanks! I got off my couch and went buying. Got about 20#s from the first tire shop I went to. I need more Pb for other needs and weighted bags so I'm going to get even more. It's easier than I thought!

Many thanks! I got off my couch and went buying. Got about 20#s from the first tire shop I went to. I need more Pb for other needs and weighted bags so I'm going to get even more. It's easier than I thought!

Excellent!

Capt Walt just upped his donation to TEN (10) $100 off certificates! Said he has to attend a planning meeting for Tall Ships in Portmouth (the weekend of the 28th), and can't be with us. Thanks, Capt Walt!

Exousia is lending us the use of a 20' X 20' awning tent plus a smaller one. If anyone is able to get there early to help him, it would be appreciated. I'm working on being there at 7:20 (Gawd help me.... it's a long drive from Maine), but if someone can help him fetch the tent and assist with set up, it will be a better day!

E/C is bringing coffee and donuts, donations are encouraged.

Bob_J and Mark............ I know that you are bining your two smelting setups. And, that I am running that session. Do I need to bring anything besides flux??? Ladles? Spoons? Ingot molds?

Bob_J and Mark............ I know that you are bining your two smelting setups. And, that I am running that session. Do I need to bring anything besides flux??? Ladles? Spoons? Ingot molds?

If you're teaching the smelting section, it may be easier for you to bring your own gear (besides the two smelting pots and propane which we will provide). That way you'll know exactly what is there ahead of time and make it easier to prepare for your section. Just be sure that there will at least two different ingot molds (one for wheelweights, one for pure or mixed range lead). That way when it gets to the casting section, I will know the proper amount to use of each to adequately alloy the bullets based on hardness needed. Also, I asked a couple members if they had pre-smelted ingots of both wheel weights or range lead for the class that begins the day on my section. I hear a lot of people with range lead, but hopefully some people will be bringing along WW if they have an interest in casting harder bullets to avoid leading with such a high velocity.

OK, will bring all the smelting stuff except the smelting pots, stands, and propane. I'll bring everything else to do that session.

I'll also bring some pure lead ingots (stamped PURE) and some WW ingots (no markings) so that you have some known start up materials. I'll also bring some lino in raw form.

If you're teaching the smelting section, it may be easier for you to bring your own gear (besides the two smelting pots and propane which we will provide). That way you'll know exactly what is there ahead of time and make it easier to prepare for your section. Just be sure that there will at least two different ingot molds (one for wheelweights, one for pure or mixed range lead). That way when it gets to the casting section, I will know the proper amount to use of each to adequately alloy the bullets based on hardness needed. Also, I asked a couple members if they had pre-smelted ingots of both wheel weights or range lead for the class that begins the day on my section. I hear a lot of people with range lead, but hopefully some people will be bringing along WW if they have an interest in casting harder bullets to avoid leading with such a high velocity.

OK, will bring all the smelting stuff except the smelting pots, stands, and propane. I'll bring everything else to do that session.

I'll also bring some pure lead ingots (stamped PURE) and some WW ingots (no markings) so that you have some known start up materials. I'll also bring some lino in raw form.

That sounds good, thanks

Oh man, that Mak, 6 count, professional, Lee bullet mold is already sold ....[smile][smile][smile]

I owe you a beer man, that was an awesome lead. I was looking forward to the workshop, now I can't wait.

So do we need to bring any safety gear? I can bring some of my foundry equipment
fire-proximity-suit-250x250.jpg
[grin] No really, I never cast lead with any gear before (and have scars to prove it) but then again we used to shoot 22s without eye or ear protection. I'll bring a faceshield and gloves ... or is it too ghey?

Exousia is lending us the use of a 20' X 20' awning tent plus a smaller one. If anyone is able to get there early to help him, it would be appreciated. I'm working on being there at 7:20 (Gawd help me.... it's a long drive from Maine), but if someone can help him fetch the tent and assist with set up, it will be a better day!

Duke,
I can get there earlier to help. What time? 7:20 or earlier you think?

Last edited:
I'm leaving here at 5:30 AM, to make it there by 7:30 at the earliest. Exousia needs help getting the tents down from his barn. So, if you can assist with that it would be a BIG help, since I have tons of other things to coordinate. Thanks.

I'm leaving here at 5:30 AM, to make it there by 7:30 at the earliest. Exousia needs help getting the tents down from his barn. So, if you can assist with that it would be a BIG help, since I have tons of other things to coordinate. Thanks.

I'd be happy to, you guys are going to allot of trouble to put this on. I don't mind pitching in at all. Where is he located? I am about an hour south east of Shirley. Let me know and how I can get in touch with him.

Yes, I have a Lee 6 cavity Tumble Lube style 158/160 grain RN mold, and will bring it for you.
357/38 special sized......

Lee number is: TL358-158-2R
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Bullet-Mold-6-Cavity/

Any chance for another mold request? A 38 spl RN bullet, maybe 158 gr if possible?

Thanks again

Just a reminder to all the forgetful ones..............

Unless you want to stand all day, please remember to bring some kind of lawn chair for yourself.

Last edited:
I closed the pistol range for the day, so we can set up smelting operations under the roof there. I'd rather reserve the area on the clubhouse porch for casting (because power is accessible).

Duke, thank you for organizing this, simply outstanding! Many thanks to all the instructors, Shirley Gun and Rod for providing the space, awesome lunch, everyone for the great company! Excellent workshop all around. This is definitely one of the few events this year that I'll remember. Please post some of those photos!

Thank You DukeInMaine, Bob_J, Eddie Coyle, and Marcus5aurelius for putting this on, and a big thanks to Shirley Rod and Gun Club for hosting us.

I learned a ton and met allot of nice folks. It was a great day. AND IT DIDN'T RAIN!!!!!

I took some pictures with my phone, kind of random and I'm not much of a photographer but, here you go.

Back
Top Bottom