2011 Rochester MA (Sippican Rod & Gun) Event - 11/27

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Thanks to NES's very own SKS Ray, Sippican Rod & Gun down in Rochester is hosting Project Appleseed on November 27th, 2011!!

So, all you Rhode Islanders, all you Cape Codders, all you who live on the South Shore - come out to Rochester and join us at a one-day shoot on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. You'll have two full days to throw off of that turkey coma and shop your brains out... then Sunday come and shoot and hear the tale of the brave men & women who had the unenviable task of dealing with the Redcoats on an April morning in 1775!

Range: Sippican Rod & Gun Club

Address: 215 Dexter Lane, Rochester, MA 02770

When: Sunday, November 27th, 2011

Range Fee: $10 for non-Sippican Rod & Gun Club members (Military exempt)

Camping available: No

Hotels: Hampton Inn, Fairhaven, MA

Directions: From I-495, take exit 2 to Route 58 south to Rochester. Cross Route 28 and continue onto County Road. Turn right onto Mary's Pond Road. Turn Left onto Dexter Lane.

GPS: N41 43.188 W70 48.562

State Laws to be aware of: Your rifle must be in a locked container, unloaded. Keep in your trunk or rear of a hatchback/station wagon. DO NOT BRING ANY HANDGUNS UNLESS YOU HAVE A Massachusetts License To Carry, or, If you're from out of state, you MUST have a MA non-resident LTC. MA has NO reciprocity with any other state. No "assault weapons" - we still have an AWB that is the same thing as the old Federal AWB. ARs cannot have a flash hider, collapsible stock or a bayonet lug unless they are "pre-ban" - manufactured before September 1994. High capacity magazines must be pre-ban as well. Non-residents CANNOT purchase ammo in this state. They have to bring it with them... or go to New Hampshire overnight. Bring a copy of your reservation or this event announcement to show you're attending a "competition". Check other pertinent State Laws.

Misc: One day event. Centerfire welcome.

For More Information Contact: Ross at [email protected] or Personal Message to "Dwarven1" on either NorthEastShooters.com or Appleseedinfo.org forums.

Registration Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2285752748

Last edited:
Well I really wanted to go to the mall with my wife that day for all the black friday weekend sales events.[laugh]

But you talked me into it. Now where did I put my LTR?[thinking]

Well I really wanted to go to the mall with my wife that day for all the black friday weekend sales events.[laugh]

But you talked me into it. Now where did I put my LTR?[thinking]
Hey, no problem! This shoot is on Sunday - all the good stuff will be sold out in the stores by then. [wink]

As for an LTR... bring whatever rifle you want. LTR is just a suggestion for a very good configuration that's cheap to shoot. I'd be surprised if Ray shows up with anything but one of his beloved SKSs, for example. Strongly urge that you have a sling, adjustable sights (like on an M1 or an M16) and enough magazines to load 40 rounds at once but if you want to bring, for example, a Mosin Nagant, that's fine, too. We'll work with whatever you have.

Liberty Training Rifle. The link details how to modify a stock Ruger 10/22 into an LTR. There are other threads on the Appleseed forum for modifying other common .22s such at the Marlin 795.

Why a .22? Because it's affordable and much less likely that you'll develop a flinch while you're learning the basics. Trigger squeeze, steady hold factors, the 6 steps to firing a shot are all the same.

Of course, if you reload or simply don't have a problem with feeding a centerfire rifle for the day (and you're likely to shoot somewhere between 300 and 500 rounds at a one-day Appleseed Shoot), then by all means, bring that along.

Hmmm I just installed tech sights on my 10/22 and a sling. I live 5 minutes from that club. I may have to pm for more details on this.....

If you guys need help doing any cleanup or prep, give me a shout. My dump truck is at your disposal for this event~! Its been way to long since I did any range cleanup time there... (and I think I havent paid dues yet this year).....

So there is an appleseed on Nov 27 at both HSC and here? Or was the one planned for HSC moved? Just making sure i don't go to the wrong place (bought tickets for the one at HSC).

And thanks for all the great info in the numerous threads dwarven. Ordered all the recommended 10/22 parts this Monday. Can't wait to get and install them! Having never owned a 10/22 before, is installing the automatic bolt release difficult? And do i need any special tools/punches for it?

So there is an appleseed on Nov 27 at both HSC and here? Or was the one planned for HSC moved? Just making sure i don't go to the wrong place (bought tickets for the one at HSC).

I'll be at Sippican; someone else will be running the Harvard one that weekend. Appleseed will be at both locations.

And thanks for all the great info in the numerous threads dwarven. Ordered all the recommended 10/22 parts this Monday. Can't wait to get and install them! Having never owned a 10/22 before, is installing the automatic bolt release difficult? And do i need any special tools/punches for it?
Not difficult at all. Just make sure you CAREFULLY note the positions of all the springs that you'll be removing and put them back the correct way. (the exploded view in your manual is an excellent reference!) Do a function check and make sure things are working. Oh, and do NOT cock the hammer and squeeze that trigger while the trigger group is out of the receiver... unless you'd LIKE to see how far you can launch the hammer spring.

PM me if you have any problems.

Well, the bad news is that there's no chance in hell of earning a Winterseed Rifleman patch this weekend... because the good news is it's going to be 64 degrees and partly sunny! No cold rain - YAY!!!

Club kitchen is not going to be running this weekend, so plan on bringing your lunch. Or there's a pizzeria we can order from for delivery.

We're going to have a LOT to go over and the daylight will be short, so if everyone is there and ready to start by 8:30, I'll start the safety briefing at 8:30 to give us that little bit extra time. Try and get there early, m'kay?

Great time today at this event. Definitely a learning experience. Scored my targets and found I was 20 points from Rifleman. With a few more hours of daylight I might have made it.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

I had a great time today, and Kate had a great time, which is even more important ;)

She scored a 104 (not sure of her other score... It was lower)

I bagged a disappointing 186 and 187.... As Ray said... More daylight... Things may have been different.... I'm not going to say anything more positive than "may" because i don't want to fail again with 12 hours of daylight ;)

Thanks for coming down Dwarven1 and friends.... Thanks for helping Kate.... It was nice to hear some of the stuff i've tried to teach her from my military marksmanship training be repeated by you guys, not that she listens to me much... ;)

I was happy to let Ray coach her...

I
When's the next shoot? I WANT that patch! :)

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Being my first formal training, I had never shot prone, never shot sitting, and never used a sling. I was 40 points away from the patch, I definitely got some work to do. On the targets with the black squares I eventually managed to get my grouping into the one inch square. Once I started focusing on speed my form went right out the damn window. I had a good time and learned a ton. I definitely recommend an Appleseed to shoot to anyone that hasn't attended one. I also look forward to taking another one in the future.

It was great to come down to a new club in a new area - you guys all worked hard, and I wish we'd had some more light. I feel sure that there are several of you who aren't far from Rifleman. I will be talking with Dale about coming back. You Sippican members should definitely let your club president know if you want us back!!

On the targets with the black squares I eventually managed to get my grouping into the one inch square. Once I started focusing on speed my form went right out the damn window.

Yup, that's what I was trying to work on - getting your speed up - when I realized we had about 25 minutes of light left. The cadence drill is designed to get you to trust your NPOA so that once you get that, you can sink right into the rapid-fire routine - one shot every breath (about 3 seconds).

When's the next shoot? I WANT that patch! :)

Three weeks from now in Harvard, MA: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15209.0 December 17 & 18.

Very good program. I will definitely be back to another. Also my first time for any formal training with a rifle. All was going well for me until we sped things up. [thinking] Sooo Close....dang.
I learned a lot, I know what I need work on to improve my skills for next time.

Also got to learn some history. Next time need to bring at least one of the kids.

Very good program. I will definitely be back to another. Also my first time for any formal training with a rifle. All was going well for me until we sped things up. [thinking] Sooo Close....dang.
I learned a lot, I know what I need work on to improve my skills for next time.

I love seeing this sort of comment, David!!

Also got to learn some history. Next time need to bring at least one of the kids.

Please do! We love having the next generation of shooters on the line with us - they're our future shooters and future voters, and I can't think of anything more important than having them learn both shooting AND their heritage as Americans. I look forward to seeing you and your kids again. Thanks for coming out; it was a pleasure meeting you and your fellow shooters.

Back
Top Bottom