2013 Spring Turkey Hunting megathread

Quickest call-in I ever had.

I drove through a fresh-cut wood lot to my favorite power line. I stepped out of the car, made a call, got an instant gobble from less than 50yards away, reached into the car for the gun, loaded a shell, ducked behind the nearest scrub evergreen, spotted three toms, picked the first to move around the power-line pole, and dropped him.

All in under 30 seconds. Holy cow.

19lb, 7"beard. Tasted great in a Parmesean tonight.

turkeytrot_005.jpg

Quickest call-in I ever had.

I drove through a fresh-cut wood lot to my favorite power line. I stepped out of the car, mIade a call, got an instant gobble from less than 50yards away, reached into the car for the gun, loaded a shell, ducked behind the nearest scrub evergreen, spotted three toms, picked the first to move around the power-line pole, and dropped him.

All in under 30 seconds. Holy cow.

19lb, 7"beard. Tasted great in a Parmesean tonight.

turkeytrot_005.jpg

Nice! I thought black cats were bad luck?

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here... A really big gun or a really small man?

It's a 4ga "Punt Gun", partially seen standing against the wall in the picture below. Also shown, are the 8ga and 2ga punt guns with their recoil sleds. A Russian SKS is placed in the picture for size reference.

russian_bringback_010.jpg

Punt guns were mounted on the front of a boat, and used to hunt ducks on the Maine coast. A smaller gun was fired at a flock of swimming ducks, and when they took to the air, the punt gun was touched off - killing dozens of ducks at a time.

They were outlawed for hunting around 1918. Most were confiscated and destroyed. Very few remain, and especially accompanied with recoil sleds. You're looking at probably $15,000 to $20,000 worth of "Big Shotguns" and accessories in the picture.

Not mine, but in a good friend's possession.

Here's a pic of the 4ga shell, compared to a 12ga.

russian_bringback_008.jpg

Now, back to the Turkey Hunt!

First 10 minutes of my first turkey hunt! Thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest when he came in to view. I was told that I'm now spoiled ;) Harvested on the opener Monday.

IMG_20130429_061708_973_zps4ae6ebd9.jpg

Last edited:
If I ever win the lottery I will own one of them bad boys and shoot the hell out of it. Hoping Monday morning j can put a picture of a turkey up.

WOOHOO!

First turkey after three seasons. A nice big Tom to start off right!

Stats:
21 pounds
9" beard
1" spurs

Took him with a Mossberg 535, 3.5" #6 Hevi-Shot.
D3.jpg

TU2.jpg

Congrats! Nice bird. That 3.5" Hevi-Shot is no joke!
Post some details how you brought him down. I love details...

I got my first ever friday morning. Now I'm going for my second by bow...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats! Nice bird. That 3.5" Hevi-Shot is no joke!
Post some details how you brought him down. I love details...

I got my first ever friday morning. Now I'm going for my second by bow...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

It wasnt as exciting as it could have been. I got into the woods early before light and located a bird up in a tree gobbling. As i sat down to wait for flydown I spooked him and heard the sound of his wings whoosing away as he fled. UGH! I relocated along power lines and heard gobbles on both sides but none showed their faces after light came up. I relocated to where my father was and we decided to move to a different location we had scouted. As we arrived at the second spot two large toms walked across the dirt road in front of us. I hopped out and tried to quietly pursue as they fled up a hill into the woods. It seemed like a lost cause until one decided to stop, walk back towards us and pause to watch us while he stood in a clearing. That was the end of him.

I agree the 3.5" Hevi shot is a beast. My 535 is light which makes the recoil even more punishing. In the heat of the moment i didnt even feel any recoil, although my ears were ringing for a little while :)

I'd say he was 25-30 yards out...must have been a very clean shot as I didnt find trace of any pellets in the breast meat at all (so far!)

Hes up for dinner tonight..my wife was surprised that the turkey breasts "looked just like turkey." Had a laugh over that one!

Man I'm very jealous of these beautiful birds you guys are posting. This is my third season hunting turkey and I still have never once seen or heard a bird in an area that's huntable. I will probably swallow my pride soon and see if anyone who's already filled their tags would want to guide me somewhere.

Man I'm very jealous of these beautiful birds you guys are posting. This is my third season hunting turkey and I still have never once seen or heard a bird in an area that's huntable. I will probably swallow my pride soon and see if anyone who's already filled their tags would want to guide me somewhere.

Don't worry man. My dad was never a "turkey hunter" per say but has told me many times he never saw one in the wild during a hunt for other game.

Don't worry man. My dad was never a "turkey hunter" per say but has told me many times he never saw one in the wild during a hunt for other game.

This was my first year hunting outside the northeast area of MA. I think the #1 thing is hunting an area you know has plenty of turkeys and huntable land. NH this is much easier due to land access laws. If you see a field lined with big trees and its not posted you can hunt there....period.

If its 4:45 and you're not hearing gobbles from bird up in the trees, your chances of find one on the ground an hour later in that area are slim. This is the first year I heard gobbles every morning and saw dead roadkill turkeys in the area I hunted as well as live turkeys wandering fields during scouting. In the area I hunted you could walk power lines and see tracks turkeys left in the mud all over.

The easiest source seems to be readily available. If you want to hunt NH download last years or prior years game report. For turkeys it lists turkey kills by town and kills per square mile per town. Pick one that had a lot. I'm 99% sure I spent my first two years hunting turkeys sitting in the woods without a turkey anywhere near me but take this all with a grain of salt as I've only killed one, haha!

Picked off a nice tom yesterday morning, hunt lasted eactly 15 minutes. I got out of the truck put my vest on, loaded the shotgun and gave a blast on the crow call. Got two gobbles in response closest about 100 yds away on the other side of a wind break. I made a move and set up under a tree, made a few clucks and purrs on a diaghram call and he came in running. He stopped 15 yds away and started strutting and showing off. I gave one cluck on the mouth call and he raised his head and squeezed it off. Total time from leaving the truck to getting back in after pictures 15 minutes.

I ate my turkey last night. Probably the best tasting turkey I have ever had in my life and my squeamish, hesitant wife agreed after her first bite. I suppose there is nothing fresher than turkey that was gobbling less than 36 hours before it was on the table and never frozen. Next year it will be a full roasted turkey...this year I just did the breasts. Absolutely delicious! I still have half left as the breasts were almost 3 pounds each!

I breasted mine out as well, I froze the breasts because I am going to have them at a Memorial Day BBQ. I'll slice one and into strips and put them on skewers on the grill. I may smoke the other breast unless I come up with a better idea.

I got mine opening day...at dawn. It took about 10 minutes from leaving my car until I was walking back with my tom! (that NEVER happens to me! ;^) )
21 pound, 9" beard, 1" spurs.

First 10 minutes of my first turkey hunt! Thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest when he came in to view. I was told that I'm now spoiled ;) Harvested on the opener Monday.

IMG_20130429_061708_973_zps4ae6ebd9.jpg

Nice work! Sometimes it's not so hard when they are really horny....Same thing happened to me years ago. I didn't even know how to call and the damn thing almost ran me over....!

Thank goodness for the chance in Maine for a 2nd turkey tag.

This 16.5lb tom sauntered into range at 5:45 am this morning. Was hoping my girlfriend would get a crack at him this morning, but he hung up. Then a second tom made a gobble from a different direction, and this one came in quickly as we were regrouping to take new positions, and I had to make a quick decision - safety off - bang.

Dog and cat were very interested, again!

second_turkey_003.jpg

second_turkey_004.jpg

Heading out tomorrow at zero dark thirty for number two. Debating whether to take the boomstick or the bow...... decisions, decisions.

Back
Top Bottom