2013 Spring Turkey Hunting megathread

Went with the boomstick, my season is over! Called another big tom out of his roost and ended my season at 5:22AM, I'm limited out

the details on #2
21 pounds
9 3/4 beard
7/8 inch spurs
Mossberg 500 12 ga.
3" Hevi Shot #6
Hamilton-20130513-00175_zpsceb9cb46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Anyone else beginning to get sick of not hearing anything in the woods then almost running them over?

Honestly I may just give up on turkey altogether. The season coincides with when the first Stripers start showing up, and I love Striper so I think I'm just going to concentrate on fishing this time of year. Maybe I'll try again for turkey in the Fall, but even then I'm still fishing and getting ready for waterfowl.

Anyone else beginning to get sick of not hearing anything in the woods then almost running them over?

My advice: Get out of MA or head west. I wasted two years trying to hunt turkeys in the North shore and they are in backyards, parking lots and beside roads but not in the woods...almost like urbanized animals. Do you blame them? Why be in the woods with predators and hunters when there are birdfeeders in backyards?

This year was the first year my father and I decided to head north a bit into NH. I got my bird the first weekend out and he got his this morning in the same area. In both cases we could have taken multiple birds those days. I'm 99% sure I wasted two years sitting in the woods with no birds around me.

Download this:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/harvest_summary/Wildlife_Harvest_2011.pdf

Scroll to the turkey section. Look at kills per town and kills per square mile, and go to one of those areas. Im not sure if MA has a similar report.

When I scouted one of the higher kill density areas in NH this year, I had to stop twice to let turkeys cross the road and the roads were littered with car kills. In all cases there were vast open areas legal to hunt almost every few hundred yards on all roads in those towns.

Download this:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/harvest_summary/Wildlife_Harvest_2011.pdf

Scroll to the turkey section. Look at kills per town and kills per square mile, and go to one of those areas. Im not sure if MA has a similar report.

When I scouted one of the higher kill density areas in NH this year, I had to stop twice to let turkeys cross the road and the roads were littered with car kills. In all cases there were vast open areas legal to hunt almost every few hundred yards on all roads in those towns.

Sounds like heaven. Well, in MA there is a wildlife harvest report, but it's organized by county only. Here's the link. I sent an email in asking for the town by town breakdown and will share it if they ever reply.

MassWildlife - Wild Turkey Harvest Information

I shot my first ever earlier this morning, 21lbs, 8.75" beard and .75" spurs. Yesterday's hunt was a dud - a lot of gobbles but no sightings, so I went out last night to try and pin down a roost.

From that, I was able to get a better feel for location, relocated our field blind well before sunrise and engaged this one for about an hour. He was ranging deep into the woods and at a few points we thought we'd lost him, but he ended up entering our field and spent ~30 minutes strutting just out of range. An unexpected hen came barreling up behind us to within 5 yards, then past us. Her path drew him closer and that's all I needed. [smile]

Last edited:
Struck out this morning. Saw one lonely hen but no fellas.

No luck fishing in the afternoon either.

If you're keeping score at home, that's local wildlife 2, me 0 -- but still a great day to be outdoors.

Struck out this morning. Saw one lonely hen but no fellas.

No luck fishing in the afternoon either.

If you're keeping score at home, that's local wildlife 2, me 0 -- but still a great day to be outdoors.

That's the way it is sometimes. But keep that attitude that it's good to be outside no matter what, and you'll never really "get skunked". You learn something new about the woods every time you go out. [wink]

Got my First Bird this year. Just took Hunting back up last year so learning a lot. Used to hunt as a kid with my Grandpa and Dad then I spun out of control and gave up a lot of things I liked for many years.
Headed out tomorrow be my last day of the season, bringing my 10 year old daughter to sit with me much like I used to do.
The shooting sports and outdoor sports are an important part of my life and I will never give them up again. Passing them on is a great way to spend time with the kids too.
Hope everyone else had a good season.... time to break the fishing rod out.

I'm heading to the range today to reacquaint myself with my bow!! Turkey is my favorite season.

Heya Jeff! I was curious, where do you usually go when hunting? Also, where do you go for some practice? I'm totally new to all of this. I too am from the central mass area. I'm in the midst of getting a membership to Singletary Rod and Gun in Oxford. I've already did my Firearm safety class, and currently waiting for my LTC to come in. I recently purchased a nice PSE bow and some hunting gear. Now I'm waiting for a Hunters Safety course to happen at the Auburn Sportsmen club in August.

I really hope to get all of this done, plus be familiar with both my bow, and my gun when I receive my LTC. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again in advance.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom