2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

This is the kind of stuff that gets me crazy.
AF379C5F-CE20-424B-94BF-34F5C1A99B0A-91-0000000116D7B06A_zpsd147a86d.jpg

C5BFF0DB-AAE4-4F83-98B6-FCE95BD50680-91-0000000072BE107F_zps160080b2.jpg

Saw 6 does today.

First 3 were on the way to go hunting. Unfortunately they were in the field next to the women's state penitentiary in Goffstown, NH. Arrived at the hunting site, checked a few key areas, all was quiet. Settled in for 4.5 hours before breaking for a combination of lunch and additional layers due to the snowing/sleeting/raining. No deer.

Back in the saddle at 2pm. All was quiet until 4:15 when the smallest doe without spots I'd ever seen came into view about 170+ yards away.

Packed up and returned to the truck. Pulled out onto the main road and SLAMMED on the brakes to avoid two does crossing in front of me. Sonofa....

Better luck tomorrow.

Saw the flicker of a tail this morning about 30 yards to my left which disappeared into some heavy brush while I was trying to put on another layer this morning. Quiet other than that. I'll be back at it this afternoon.

Cannot get back out till Monday morning. I will try some Tinks on Tuesday and see if that does anything but I am not counting on it to much, counting on my spot more.

Hopefully the moon days for mornings on the 11th-12th-13th have some action.

I was out from around 5:30 to 12 today and didn't see or hear a thing. It was kinda windy and I also found out that there is a house about a quarter mile away with a dog that likes to bark so that could be hurting my chances.

The dog may not hurt your chances...one property that I hunt...you'll be sitting in the stand and hear the dogs starting barking from the next street over...1/4 to 1/3 of a mile away...they are barking at the deer coming my way...sure enough about 5-10 mins after the dogs stop barking the deer come through.

haha yeah I kinda had that thought as well. I hunt a WMA so if anything the dog is probably pushing the deer back in the woods

was out all day. Didn't see a damn thing after I got to the woods. Say about 15 in yards on my way to the woods at about 4:00 AM.. I know they were laughing at me on my way to the forest. "Ah Ha - we're out here dumb shit. Can't catch us"......

Was cold out in the stand today. Me lil tootsies need double wool socks next time.

froze my ass off and saw nothing this morning, but i almost got a monster tonight. just couldn't get a good clean shot. if i had just winged it i am sure i would have dropped him but i am too cautious.

brief synopsis: i had sat from 3pm until it was just starting to get dark. heard a deer coming up the ridge behind me, it ended up being a nice fork buck like the one i got last saturday, missing a horn, it was busted clean off. (the one i got saturday had a busted horn also, i soon found out why) so i am watching this fork when all of a sudden the opposite side of me i hear deer crashing through the thicket. three does come running out cross the trail under my stand and head down towards the fork buck. behind the does comes the big boy, i didn't count horn but he was easily at a 10. he charges through the brush and goes to cross where the does did, i stopped him with a little whistle, but couldn't get a shot because of some low hanging vines. he looked in my direction for about 15-20 seconds and then retreated back into the thicket opposite side of the trail from where the other deer were, where by now the 4pt was grunting and chasing the does. the big guy retreats about 50 yards back into the thicket, hears the fork chasing the does and does a 180, charges back through the thick and again stops dead in his tracks 50 yards away from me on the trail. that damn vine!!!! again he retreated back into the thicket, by then it was getting darker and all i could see by now were his huge horns moving through the thick. i waited until it died down and snuck out. dammit i should have just taken the shot, I'm sure i would have got him.

been slow this year for me .. not as many acorns .. and not as many deer ...last year there was at least 2-5 sightings a day .. this year barely any , not much droppings . A few rubs here and there.. little too quiet

been slow this year for me .. not as many acorns .. and not as many deer ...last year there was at least 2-5 sightings a day .. this year barely any , not much droppings . A few rubs here and there.. little too quiet

You're right about the acorns. I think our lack of rain has had an impact.

froze my ass off and saw nothing this morning, but i almost got a monster tonight. just couldn't get a good clean shot. if i had just winged it i am sure i would have dropped him but i am too cautious.

brief synopsis: i had sat from 3pm until it was just starting to get dark. heard a deer coming up the ridge behind me, it ended up being a nice fork buck like the one i got last saturday, missing a horn, it was busted clean off. (the one i got saturday had a busted horn also, i soon found out why) so i am watching this fork when all of a sudden the opposite side of me i hear deer crashing through the thicket. three does come running out cross the trail under my stand and head down towards the fork buck. behind the does comes the big boy, i didn't count horn but he was easily at a 10. he charges through the brush and goes to cross where the does did, i stopped him with a little whistle, but couldn't get a shot because of some low hanging vines. he looked in my direction for about 15-20 seconds and then retreated back into the thicket opposite side of the trail from where the other deer were, where by now the 4pt was grunting and chasing the does. the big guy retreats about 50 yards back into the thicket, hears the fork chasing the does and does a 180, charges back through the thick and again stops dead in his tracks 50 yards away from me on the trail. that damn vine!!!! again he retreated back into the thicket, by then it was getting darker and all i could see by now were his huge horns moving through the thick. i waited until it died down and snuck out. dammit i should have just taken the shot, I'm sure i would have got him.

Cool experience man. I have yet to see a damn deer out in the woods since opening day. Plenty in the road on my way to the forest though - every time... I don;t know what that should tell me but I feel like it should be telling me something.

Good to hear you saw a big boy, none for me this year.

50 yards is one heck of a shot, I myself cannot go that far out, 40 is the most I will go and it would have to be a clean broadside side shot.

It's been quite a few years since I've put meat in the freezer, so when a deer got hit just down the road from my house, I jumped at the chance. It was one of this years fawns so there wasn't much to begin with. My daughter and myself had a feast that felt like Thanksgiving with fresh heart, tenderloins, and liver that night after I field dressed it. I found a guy that would process it for me and got 15 1/2 lbs out of it that my daughter and myself will enjoy through the upcoming Christmas shopping season. I would rather get one myself but I'll take it any way it comes.

Greg
bike-roadkill.jpg

It's been quite a few years since I've put meat in the freezer, so when a deer got hit just down the road from my house, I jumped at the chance. It was one of this years fawns so there wasn't much to begin with. My daughter and myself had a feast that felt like Thanksgiving with fresh heart, tenderloins, and liver that night after I field dressed it. I found a guy that would process it for me and got 15 1/2 lbs out of it that my daughter and myself will enjoy through the upcoming Christmas shopping season. I would rather get one myself but I'll take it any way it comes.

Greg
View attachment 84498

Nothing wrong with fresh road kill as long as its not too mangled.[wink]

My friends and I scooped a fresh hit one(someone else hit it, not us) in Maine near Belfast as we were heading to our hunting spot. It was a very cold morning and it was a spike buck, maybe 110lbs with a broken neck, all other internals intact. I checked his belly and it was still hot, this one had just been hit within several minutes, no rigor and eyes still clear. Pieces of amber parking light lens on the road still above the light snow coating.

Local cop arrived in a couple of minutes and gave us a transportation tag and banded the leg so it was not accountable to/against anyone's license.

It turned out to be the only deer we got that trip. For some reason nobody in the camp was getting anything that year.

I missed my first shot at a deer with my bow. I was on the ground and had two bucks walk right to me. First was a nice little 4 point. Gave me a broad side shot at 15 yards. Totally blew it! Over his back. He didn't even know what happened. I use a longbow and I didn't pick a spot on his body, which I have told my self over and over to do. I just let it fly and missed. Buck fever! He ran off about ten yards out of sight, and then another smaller 4 pointer came in behind him and busted me. They both ran off together. I still had an awesome time! 2 bucks came to me while standing on the ground with no blind and I got a shot off on one. Oh well, next weekend I will try again. Good luck everyone!

My son and I hit the woods before daylight yesterday.I went to my stand and he continued on for 1/2 a mile on the opposite side of power lines. Around 8 AM he called my cell phone and told me he had shot a spike @ 30 yards and the arrow had hit an unseen twig and it hit low and back a little. I told him to stay put and went to find him. He shot it around 6:45 when it came right in to a grunt call. We gave it some more time, but due to all the coyotes in the area, we didn't want to wait too long.
Long story short, we made a vow to each other to never give up, and after tracking this deer for 6 !/2 hours through the swamp from hell and three different towns, we found him and got him back to our vehicle just at dark. Aching and dehydrated, this brought my archery hunting career to an end.
Trophy value......not so much
Respect for the animal....a lot
The memory of my last archery hunt with my son.....PRICELESS!

Trail Cam Pics 013.jpg Trail Cam Pics 015.jpg

Last edited:
My son and I hit the woods before daylight yesterday.I went to my stand and he continued on for 1/2 a mile on the opposite side of power lines. Around 8 AM he called my cell phone and told me he had shot a spike @ 30 yards and the arrow had hit an unseen twig and it hit low and back a little. I told him to stay put and went to find him. He shot it around 6:45 when it came right in to a grunt call. We gave it some more time, but due to all the coyotes in the area, we didn't want to wait too long.
Long story short, we made a vow to each other to never give up, and after tracking this deer for 6 !/2 hours through the swamp from hell and three different towns, we found him and got him back to our vehicle just at dark. Aching and dehydrated, this brought my archery hunting career to an end.
Trophy value......not much

View attachment 84529View attachment 84530

Must have taken some serious tracking skills

Trophy value......not much

View attachment 84529View attachment 84530

Congrats on the deer!

If I may ask, why it that the end of your archery career?

Congrats on the deer!

If I may ask, why it that the end of your archery career?

I am 73 years old with a not so good heart. Lugging a crossbow through a horrible swamp for hours tracking this deer almost killed me.
To quote Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations." (Inspector Callahan)

I am 73 years old with a not so good heart. Lugging a crossbow through a horrible swamp for hours tracking this deer almost killed me.
To quote Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations." (Inspector Callahan)

Well dang good on you, I am little younger and still do not think I could have kept up with you. Sorry to hear you are done with the bow but it sounds like you had some fun.

Congrats again on the memories you made yesterday!!!!

Back
Top Bottom