2017/18 Hunting Thread!!

Excellent!!! Venison for Christmas.

Tell me about it!

I have a whole backstrap thawing in the fridge right now. There is nothing better for Christmas than venison IMO. I picked up my the two deer yesterday at the butcher. 148 pounds between the two. I told the butcher to go easy on the ground (keep it to 25 packages) and go heavy on the sweet sausage......ended up with 50 packages (three sausages in each) of venison sweet sausage! I like giving some sausage away so it's perfect. Had some for dinner last night and he did a great job. The drop freezer is full to the top.

Plenty of stew and chili for ice fishing season this year!

Tell me about it!

I have a whole backstrap thawing in the fridge right now. There is nothing better for Christmas than venison IMO. I picked up my the two deer yesterday at the butcher. 148 pounds between the two. I told the butcher to go easy on the ground (keep it to 25 packages) and go heavy on the sweet sausage......ended up with 50 packages (three sausages in each) of venison sweet sausage! I like giving some sausage away so it's perfect. Had some for dinner last night and he did a great job. The drop freezer is full to the top.

Plenty of stew and chili for ice fishing season this year!

Very nice.

Bob

FB_IMG_1514245754728.jpg Venison backstrap pan seared in butter with Cumberland sauce (port wine, lindgonberries, and shallots) with bavarian dumplings. My wife's home made orange cranberry sauce on the side and a glass of port wine. That's Christmas dinner!

Last edited:
Last day of deer season! Separating the men from the boys today! -1 degrees and meeting the guys for one last hunt. Only one guy hasn't tagged yet this season the mission is to get one in front of him. Going to check out some thick Laurel and see what we can get moving......never hunted in this kind of cold so no idea what this weather does to change what the deer are doing......but as always......you can't shoot deer from the living room couch!

Anyone else crazy enough to go today?

Last day of deer season! Separating the men from the boys today! -1 degrees and meeting the guys for one last hunt. Only one guy hasn't tagged yet this season the mission is to get one in front of him. Going to check out some thick Laurel and see what we can get moving......never hunted in this kind of cold so no idea what this weather does to change what the deer are doing......but as always......you can't shoot deer from the living room couch!

Anyone else crazy enough to go today?

Good luck Wacko! I'll be out at the end of the day today!

And my season is over. Tag soup for the fourth year (Except for a single woodcock). Here's hoping year five fills the freezer.

Learned a lot this year, hunted from a climber for the first time. My gear is almost where I want it (Need a new coat that's waterproof). Thought I was going to close the deal yesterday following tracks through the snow. Caught sight of the deer once but lost it in thick brush.

The deer that I've been obsessed with, Percy, was still alive as of 12/15 when he walked by my stand location at noon. On a day that I was supposed to take off to hunt. He's big even after the rut. Fingers crossed for next year.

Moved plenty of deer around but no good opportunities to take a poke. Good news is it was a banner year and we already have venison in the freezer anyway. Cold as hell today but honestly it wasn't that bad......lots of layers......move slow so not to get sweaty!

Best news......boy oh boy did I stumble on a place to hunt cottontail! Ho....Lee....shit....I've never seen so much rabbit sign in one spot! Heading back there SOON with the scatter guns!

I didn't see any deer on my last day....I wake up this morning to find 2 fresh deer tracks cruising around my house! :(
OH well! I did get a doe, so there's venison in the freezer. Next up...ice fishing! :D

Moved plenty of deer around but no good opportunities to take a poke. Good news is it was a banner year and we already have venison in the freezer anyway. Cold as hell today but honestly it wasn't that bad......lots of layers......move slow so not to get sweaty!

Best news......boy oh boy did I stumble on a place to hunt cottontail! Ho....Lee....shit....I've never seen so much rabbit sign in one spot! Heading back there SOON with the scatter guns!

Bring a few coyote loads too

No deer for me this year. Saw lots of deer. Just didn't get the class of animal I was looking for within bow range. Saw 2 doe my last day out (Friday). That said shooting doe at this point kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Feels like killing multiple deer. Figure she's likely to drop 2 fawns in April. So shooting a doe late season makes me feel like I'm killing 3 deer. Kind of feel rotten when thinking about it. So I let them pass. I like venison. I also like seeing and observing deer. I enjoy having encounters with these animals. Taking that kind of bite out of the population isn't conducive to that end IMHO.

I did get my mount back from last year's 8 pointer though.

No deer for me this year. Saw lots of deer. Just didn't get the class of animal I was looking for within bow range. Saw 2 doe my last day out (Friday). That said shooting doe at this point kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Feels like killing multiple deer. Figure she's likely to drop 2 fawns in April. So shooting a doe late season makes me feel like I'm killing 3 deer. Kind of feel rotten when thinking about it. So I let them pass. I like venison. I also like seeing and observing deer. I enjoy having encounters with these animals. Taking that kind of bite out of the population isn't conducive to that end IMHO.

I did get my mount back from last year's 8 pointer though.

Taking a doe opening day of archery is no different than taking one last day of primitive Arms. Result is still the same.
I understand the doe will probably be pregnant by then, but still 3-4 less deer next year. I believe that is what the biologists have in mind in regards to population control. That being said, would like to see a pic of last years 8pt. Congrats!

I know and it's a point I can't argue.. But honestly it's been 3+ years since I've even picked up the bow or shotgun when a doe walked by. I just don't feel like I've accomplished what I've set out to accomplish when harvesting one.

Last year's deer:

View: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LIO5jxV8xmuG3ANhGXjy6bWaNFq3kgIG

Taxidermist was a gentleman named Jim who owns Headquarters Taxidermy in Rochester, MA. I was a little bummed I didn't get the class of animal I was after - despite seeing one a few times. But when I picked this guy up that faded pretty quickly.

I know and it's a point I can't argue.. But honestly it's been 3+ years since I've even picked up the bow or shotgun when a doe walked by. I just don't feel like I've accomplished what I've set out to accomplish when harvesting one.

Last year's deer:

View: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LIO5jxV8xmuG3ANhGXjy6bWaNFq3kgIG

Taxidermist was a gentleman named Jim who owns Headquarters Taxidermy in Rochester, MA. I was a little bummed I didn't get the class of animal I was after - despite seeing one a few times. But when I picked this guy up that faded pretty quickly.

That is a nice Buck!
What is the spread on that?
Thx for posting pic.
I completely understand. I let plenty of does and small bucks walk every year, but won’t hesitate to take one nice doe for freezer. I saw a monster 10pt at 30 yds w/ bow two afternoons in a row. I could have taken the shot but there was a few saplings in the way, so I passed. I moved my stand on the 3rd day to where he came by 2 days in a row and he walked directly under where my stand was the previous 2 days, aaaaarrrgh! Oh well, they don’t get that big being dumb. He was completely relaxed. 20 yrs ago I would have shot, but I too, look at things differently now. I had a great year, 2 big does and a nice 6pt, seeing that massive 10pt was pretty exciting too, hope he survives til fall. One doe with bow at Home, and a 6pt and doe in NY at a friends very big farm, he encourages us to get rid of the deer.
Time to get some coyotes!
Happy New year

Congrats everyone that used their tag this season. I was sitting here thinking of going out for coyote soon. Of course this wind and temperature continues to be nuts. It amazes me that these animals can endure this stretch of weather. And that made me wonder - at what point do we consider this a bad winter in terms of it's impact on deer? And yes I realize we're only in early Jan.

Congrats everyone that used their tag this season. I was sitting here thinking of going out for coyote soon. Of course this wind and temperature continues to be nuts. It amazes me that these animals can endure this stretch of weather. And that made me wonder - at what point do we consider this a bad winter in terms of it's impact on deer? And yes I realize we're only in early Jan.
From my reading research snow cover is the problem more than temps. When they need to dig for mast and burn more energy moving through deep snow it effects their health.

From my reading research snow cover is the problem more than temps. When they need to dig for mast and burn more energy moving through deep snow it effects their health.

Crusty snow is the worst. The coyotes can run on the crust and the deer are breaking through and that is a recipie for dead deer and fat coyotes.

The deer seemed to have a good layer of fat this season so they should be fine as long as this weather doesn't last for months.

Just bought my 2018 License as well as Deer & Turkey tags. Looking forward to being a member of the club!

Welcome to the insanity.

AAE52707-_FF68-4090-9_A49-_AF627_FF971_A8.jpg

Deer season starts January 1st with scouting. Once the snow melt happens you can really see what they were doing last fall.

Bob

Crusty snow is the worst. The coyotes can run on the crust and the deer are breaking through and that is a recipie for dead deer and fat coyotes.

The deer seemed to have a good layer of fat this season so they should be fine as long as this weather doesn't last for months.

Welcome to the insanity.

AAE52707-_FF68-4090-9_A49-_AF627_FF971_A8.jpg

Deer season starts January 1st with scouting. Once the snow melt happens you can really see what they were doing last fall.

Bob

Thanks! any reading materials to help me understand the scouting process?

Back
Top Bottom