• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 Cast Bullet Signup Thread

Super interested in casting / reloading. My only concern is the time involved.

For a semi-experienced person with basic gear, how long would it take to produce 1k 9mm bullets from cast to finish? Ballpark

For a semi-experienced person with basic gear, how long would it take to produce 1k 9mm bullets from cast to finish? Ballpark
An hour or so to cast them. Maybe less.
30-40 minutes to coat. Or 15 minutes to lubesize
15 minutes to size if coated first
Depending on your press another hour to 5 hours to load.

Can you list the items I need to get started for a single caliber and ballpark total cost?

Other than caliber and bullet weight, how do I know which particular mold to pick to have best shot at producing accurate rounds?
Let’s start with what cartridge you plan on loading for.
I can try to tweak it for that.

So I’m stealing this from @pastera because he nailed it.

Cheap casting and coating rig

Toaster Oven - $19.88
Hot Plate - $12.88
Casting Pot - $29.99
Thermometer - $25.99

Ladle - $5.49
Mold - $18.39 (pretty much all Lee 2 cavity molds are the same price)
Sizing kit - $19.29

50 lbs Lead - $66.80
Hi-Tek 3.5 oz - $10.95
50/50 Solder for added Tin - $15.45

Add some shipping and tax - leaves you at around $250 with the ability to cast about 2600 bullets (about $200 worth)

Edit: You will need to modify the hot plate thermostat to allow the temp to get up to casting temperature - will add instructions here after the next casting seminar (will be bringing a hot plate to demonstrate the mods then adding it to the door prize pile)

You could modify that a million ways.
4 cavity MP hollow point mould $90
Lee bottom pour pot $80
Using a lee bottom pour instead of a hot plate and ladle. Using a semi custom mould.
You can work your way up or down and still have a solid casting set up.
It’s a very basic process and even with the most basic of tools you can make great bullets.

Accuracy is all about bullet design. You can find a million references on accurate bullet moulds. The 358156 is probably the most highly regarded 38/357 mould available. It works well at low speeds with or without a gas check and high speed when gas checked. Dual crimp grooves allow different seating lengths = more case volume out of a 38 and bullet closer to rifling or chamber throat.

That being said there are other very good designs. You have to decide if you want purely accuracy or if you want terminal performance also.
Pure short range accuracy go for a full wadcutter 358495. Need hunting performance, accuracy and need it to feed in a lever gun. Go for a round nose flat point Like the MP 359640.
If you’re like most people and are going to punch paper and plink steel at nominal distances then it really doesn’t matter.

I'll one up you @Michael J. Spangler

I think I have a NIB Lee 38 mold I'll throw into the mix (if I can find it, had two but gave one to broccoli)

I should be able to make it to the seminar so I need to PayPal over the money.

If work slows down enough to finish it, I should also have a PID controller to auction off for a Com2a donation (I'd toss it in for a door prize if that's not an option)

Do you have any blocks of time your not doing much of anything, I bet you do.
Even 20 minutes every few days can be productive.
It can be time consuming yes but my thoughts if you cant be making more money with that time reloading /casting is worth while.
I dont watch much TV and 9pm to 12am im not doing much of anything so thats when most of my stuff gets done.

View attachment 389561

might be a more cost effective option for a give away?

or sell the LRP's in the classifieds and offer a drawing at the seminar for an all inclusive vacation for two to Hawaii?
I forgot to say, they are used, only shot them once so they are in good shape. They have a slight dent but it will buff right out.

Well I have some news I will not be able to make this years seminar. I was hoping to make it but I am now the President of The Fort Taber-Fort Rodman Military Museum in New Bedford. After our reopening from COVID we have not had as many Volunteers return and I will not have Coverage if I am not there Sunday. Again I am sorry I will miss it. If you are around the area sometime stop in to the Museum we are open 1-4pm Tuesday Through Sunday. Admission is free Fort Taber / Fort Rodman Historical Association, Inc. – Preservation of Fort Taber and it's history, as a part of the city of New Bedford's past. or check out the Facebook page Facebook Groups

Well I have some news I will not be able to make this years seminar. I was hoping to make it but I am now the President of The Fort Taber-Fort Rodman Military Museum in New Bedford. After our reopening from COVID we have not had as many Volunteers return and I will not have Coverage if I am not there Sunday. Again I am sorry I will miss it. If you are around the area sometime stop in to the Museum we are open 1-4pm Tuesday Through Sunday. Admission is free Fort Taber / Fort Rodman Historical Association, Inc. – Preservation of Fort Taber and it's history, as a part of the city of New Bedford's past. or check out the Facebook page Facebook Groups
Congratulations!!! You will he missed my friend.
No better man for the job. You are passionate and dedicated to day the least.

Lube or powder coat - advantages and disadvantages of each? Seems like PC is less hastle and lasts longer than lube? How long can you store loose lubed bullets?
They both work.
PC is really not The best option. Hi-Tek is the way to go. It’s not PC. It’s way better. No comparisons. Hi tek is cleaner to work with. Less smoke. Less smell. Cleaner shooting. Lower initial investment cost to use Hi-Tel

Lube is fast to apply and effective for a lot of applications. You can make lube from household items which is nice. A little more smoke. A little more smell. Higher initial investment cost for a lube sizer.

I Hi-Tek coat the stuff that’s higher pressure and faster twists. It helps keep leading down.
I lube size the lower pressure stuff that never has issues with leading.

Bulk lubed bullets can be stored in boxes or bins the same way the commercial casters ship them to you. If you use a firmer lube it won’t really be too messy. It will stay in the grooves. Softer lube like 50/50 can melt in hot temps and make a mess.

Pinched a nerve in my neck a week ago then had to support testing on a boat (submarine) - 8-10 hrs of steel deck plates and cold air on my neck really screwed it up worse.
Today was the first day with relatively tolerable pain so I'm way behind on building PID controllers.
I'm hoping to get two done so I can get Mac1911's to him and have one for the seminar (Mike's choice on how it goes but I was thinking a Com2a donation auction)

But I did score a few pounds of flashing from my neighbor

Pinched a nerve in my neck a week ago then had to support testing on a boat (submarine) - 8-10 hrs of steel deck plates and cold air on my neck really screwed it up worse.
Today was the first day with relatively tolerable pain so I'm way behind on building PID controllers.
I'm hoping to get two done so I can get Mac1911's to him and have one for the seminar (Mike's choice on how it goes but I was thinking a Com2a donation auction)

But I did score a few pounds of flashing from my neighbor
Beautiful idea! You’re prize your decision. I think you nailed it.

Too late to sign up?
Nope. Shoot me a Payment and you’re on the list.

Back
Top Bottom