• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023/2024 Waterfowl Season

Haven't been seeing much around here... I'll still be out there on Friday and again on Saturday when my kids off from school.

Early Goose - is that where you can use one of those full-auto BB guns on the flocks on the ground to eliminate the Massachoozian Geese? (As opposed to "Canadian" Geese that actually migrate.)

We've had geese on Assawompsett for about a month or so. Maybe a bit less. Annoying F'ers. 3 weeks ago, I had to chase them away to get INTO my boat. The next day, went out mega-early had to chase them away to get OUT of my boat. LOL

In MA for early goose do you need a plug? ETA Nevermind. We were reminded of a valuable lesson today kids. DO NOT listen to MA Fudds when it comes to hunting. They may live there but they are still retarded Fudds.

Hunting implements​

Shotgun: Migratory game birds may be hunted with shotguns no larger than 10 gauge, fired from the shoulder. Shotguns capable of holding more than 3 shells may not be used unless plugged with a one-piece filler which limits the gun’s total capacity to 3 shells and which cannot be removed without disassembling the gun. Waterfowl hunters must use non-toxic shot up to and including BBB shot while hunting ducks, geese, sea ducks, and coot. No lead shot may be in the hunter's possession while hunting ducks, geese, sea ducks, and coot. Non-toxic shot is not required for those hunting woodcock, snipe, or rails. (Get more information about types of non-toxic shot.)

CT does not require the plug for Sept Goose

Special September and Late Canada Goose Seasons​

Special September and late Canada goose seasons will again be offered, and no special permit is required for either season. The early season in the North Zone will begin on September 1 and run through September 30. In the South Zone, the season will begin on September 15 and end on September 30. The daily bag limit for the early season is 15, with a possession limit of 45. Shooting hours for the September season are one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour past sunset, and unplugged shotguns are legal to use. All September goose season hunters must have a federal Duck Stamp and a 2023 Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp, which includes the HIP permit.

CT does not require the plug for Sept Goose

Special September and Late Canada Goose Seasons​

Special September and late Canada goose seasons will again be offered, and no special permit is required for either season. The early season in the North Zone will begin on September 1 and run through September 30. In the South Zone, the season will begin on September 15 and end on September 30. The daily bag limit for the early season is 15, with a possession limit of 45. Shooting hours for the September season are one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour past sunset, and unplugged shotguns are legal to use. All September goose season hunters must have a federal Duck Stamp and a 2023 Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp, which includes the HIP permit.
I believe that is information to be incorrect. I suggest that you check with DEEP "Personally". Many times, the Information/Education idiots fail to publish all the information. Federal Regulations require the shotgun to not be able contain more than three rounds in combination.

Flocks of teal???? Wow.

I was just tickled to happen to see a Canvasback. . . . 15 years ago.

99.99% of the time, I see Mallards. Or the various black'and'white divers on teh lake. I suck at identifying all of them. But FLOCKS? Mallards.

I believe that is information to be incorrect. I suggest that you check with DEEP "Personally". Many times, the Information/Education idiots fail to publish all the information. Federal Regulations require the shotgun to not be able contain more than three rounds in combination.
It is correct. There is a exception in the federal law for early goose.

PART 20—MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING
20.21 What hunting methods are illegal?

With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells. However, this restriction does not apply during:

(1) A light-goose-only season (greater and lesser snow geese and Ross' geese) when all other waterfowl and crane hunting seasons, excluding falconry, are closed.
(2) A Canada goose only season when all other waterfowl and crane hunting seasons, excluding falconry, are closed in the Atlantic, Central, and Mississippi Flyway portions of Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, as set forth below:
(i) During the period of September 1 to September 15, when approved in the annual regulatory schedule in subpart K of this part; and
(ii) During the period of September 16 to September 30, when approved in the annual regulatory schedule in subpart K of this part.

Flocks of teal???? Wow.

I was just tickled to happen to see a Canvasback. . . . 15 years ago.

99.99% of the time, I see Mallards. Or the various black'and'white divers on teh lake. I suck at identifying all of them. But FLOCKS? Mallards.
I’ve ran across Teal numerous times in Southcoast, MA. Like little rockets. A Canvasback is on my bucket list.

Got out with some friends in MA, the four of us put down 40 in a bit over an hour.

View attachment 792148View attachment 792149View attachment 792150

WTF do you do with 40 geese? Or 10, I guess, each. That just seems excessive. I'd be up to my eyeballs in goose. Or are you giving them away?

Years ago, on GT, there was a discussion of hunting Canada's. To a man, they all said that they suck and taste awful. Strangely, I have never heard that sentiment here. Not sure what was up with them - they're effectively a big duck. LOL

Interested to know. Very cool hunt. Depopulate the Tauntonian Geese. :). (Or Mildfordian Geese. Or Swampscotian Geese - they cease to be "Canadian" geese once they stay the winter.)

Got out with some friends in MA, the four of us put down 40 in a bit over an hour.

View attachment 792148View attachment 792149View attachment 792150
I wish we had a dog on Monday. Maybe my first bird wouldn't have gotten away when I failed to spot its landing correctly. Still upset about that.

WTF do you do with 40 geese? Or 10, I guess, each. That just seems excessive. I'd be up to my eyeballs in goose. Or are you giving them away?

Years ago, on GT, there was a discussion of hunting Canada's. To a man, they all said that they suck and taste awful. Strangely, I have never heard that sentiment here. Not sure what was up with them - they're effectively a big duck. LOL

Interested to know. Very cool hunt. Depopulate the Tauntonian Geese. :). (Or Mildfordian Geese. Or Swampscotian Geese - they cease to be "Canadian" geese once they stay the winter.)
Canadas taste fine.

I wish we had a dog on Monday. Maybe my first bird wouldn't have gotten away when I failed to spot its landing correctly. Still upset about that.

Canadas taste fine.
How do you cook them? The only way Ive seen is rare and it didn't look good or taste that great. To me it was swamp chicken.

Kill them all though, they are shitting everywhere. Down south its even worse.

How do you cook them? The only way Ive seen is rare and it didn't look good or taste that great. To me it was swamp chicken.
variations on smoked, medium rare and an effort towards goose pastrami

I'm interested to try these recipes this year:

Soak in mixture in baking soda and water for a few mins. Most of not all- gamey flavors (livery taste) will be removed. The added bonus is that the meat will be tenderize as well. Marinade with whatever you like as the meat will be a blank canvas.

Sausage works great for goose . What I did last year when I got skunked on ducks on our annual hunting trip with buddies down in New York.

I’ve been using a pump wing master the last 3 seasons but thinking it’s time to upgrade and get a semi auto . Anyone have any experience with the A300?

Sausage works great for goose . What I did last year when I got skunked on ducks on our annual hunting trip with buddies down in New York.

I’ve been using a pump wing master the last 3 seasons but thinking it’s time to upgrade and get a semi auto . Anyone have any experience with the A300?
The newer A300's didn't seem to be getting rave reviews when I looked for something new over the summer.
I ended up getting a Franchi Affinity 3 and so far I like it. But I've only had it a month or so and haven't shot it a ton yet.

Nothing but good luck with Impala Plus autoloaders, Ive shot them a ton and everyone at our club that shoots skeet has one. They come with 5 chokes, and shims and a removable comb raise if you want to use it with a scope/red dot.

They are dirt cheap on Battlehawk Armory.

The newer A300's didn't seem to be getting rave reviews when I looked for something new over the summer.
I ended up getting a Franchi Affinity 3 and so far I like it. But I've only had it a month or so and haven't shot it a ton yet.

I did I a ton of research on a couple different guns last November. Everything I read about the A300 said it was nice and smooth but that the recoil mitigation system could be problematic. The Affinity 3.5 Waterfowl Elite had a lot of great reviews and was what I wanted, but couldn’t justify the price. I ended up with a Tristar Viper Max, due to cost, looks, and most importantly, build quality. I was blown away how nice it was for a Turkish gun that was under $800. Only downside to it, it’s a bit on the heavier side. Im most likely going to get a Viper in 20ga for the wife.

One day, I’ll get a Browning Maxus II Wicked Wing in Old School Camo.

I did I a ton of research on a couple different guns last November. Everything I read about the A300 said it was nice and smooth but that the recoil mitigation system could be problematic. The Affinity 3.5 Waterfowl Elite had a lot of great reviews and was what I wanted, but couldn’t justify the price. I ended up with a Tristar Viper Max, due to cost, looks, and most importantly, build quality. I was blown away how nice it was for a Turkish gun that was under $800. Only downside to it, it’s a bit on the heavier side. Im most likely going to get a Viper in 20ga for the wife.

Tristar guns are a great value.

My kid shoots a 20G Tristar Viper G2 youth model and it's a great little gun.
Came with 3 chokes and even shims to adjust the stock.
A lot of full size shotguns don't even come with shims.

He's probably got over 1000 flawless rounds through it.

I have a tristar Viper G2 lefty, doesn’t miss a beat unless I let it get really gunked up.

This was my big goal for the 23/24 waterfowl season. A really good looking Woody Drake. I missed opening day of central because of being sick. Took a few days to rest, loaded myself up on DayQuil and went out yesterday. We only shot two birds. But I got exactly the duck I was after.
Nice Job Will.. good looking duck for sure.

If someone wants to make goose edible its really not hard, just takes a bit of effort to learn what works. I've done the breats in a crockpot before for shredded goose tacos, served them at a party and literally everyone loved them.

This time I did them sous vide, seared them in butter and garlic, and sliced to make taco meat. They were tender and excellent, my kids wanted more, I should have done 4 breasts.

1698673639636.png

1698673659722.png

1698673689153.png

1698673708695.png

Back
Top Bottom