.22 AR and AKs

I want to buy a .22 rifle that I can shoot at my indoor range and I want something a little different than a Ruger 10/22 that everyone else seems to have. I'm just shooting for fun, looking for something I can run a bunch of cheap ammo through on the weekends.

I have searched for discussions on the S&W M&P15-22 which doesn't have great reviews, lots of people with jamming issues and explosions. [shocked] http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...atalogId=10001&content=751501&sectionId=10002

I also saw that ATI makes an "AK47" .22 Rifle that looks pretty cool but I haven't found many reviews about it, I'm probably leaning towards this one instead of the S&W due to reviews. http://www.gsg5rifle.com/category/1792-GSG_AK47_Rifle.aspx

Anyone have either of these or any comments about them? The Ak47 requires HV ammo which isn't a big deal I guess.

Ruger SR 22 (not a good way to avoid having a tricked out 10/22 because it IS a tricked out 10/22)
S&W M&P15-22
Colt M4 .22
Tactical Solutions AR-15 .22 Long Rifle Conversion Upper Receiver
American Tactical Imports GSG-5 Semi-Auto .22 LR Carbine

There are problems of one kind or another with all of them.

Then there are the Marlin 60 and 795 which (by all reports) work better but lack the coolness factor.

Ruger SR 22 (not a good way to avoid having a tricked out 10/22 because it IS a tricked out 10/22)
S&W M&P15-22
Colt M4 .22
Tactical Solutions AR-15 .22 Long Rifle Conversion Upper Receiver
American Tactical Imports GSG-5 Semi-Auto .22 LR Carbine

There are problems of one kind or another with all of them.

Then there are the Marlin 60 and 795 which (by all reports) work better but lack the coolness factor.

I got the Tactical Solutions 22 upper. It's awesome to shoot once everything works right. But, Tactical solutions quality and customer service is very subpar.

TacSolutions I have the opposite experience. Mine ran great from day one with the non notched hammer and blackdog magazines, I had a few jams with CCI mini mags. I got a tip from AR15.com about the overall length of the minimags that seem to a smidgen on the long side. I didnt check them just stop useing them and all is good. mine had the thread protector on it when I got it. I sent it back to tacsol to have it pinned. no problems no issues. I was tossed about what to get also.
Part of my dicission was based on magazine availabilty : to the best of my research S&W,Colt,GSG all took their own designed mags. So you may want to stock up on extra mags if you go with one of these.
Then I did not want to wait to see when a MA model S&W AR22 would come out. Surprised they had them quickly, they must be learning. I waited so long for the M&P40 to come out I lost interest.
I then went with the idea of buying a unit that takes easy to get magazines. Capacity was not a issue 10rounds is fine for me as the longer mags just seem to get in the way.
So it was units that take the ciener type mags or a 10/22 based unit.
So it came down to Colt- which I quickly remembered why I do not buy colt.....they dont submit handguns in mass for testing, if they have begun then I m unaware of that.
Then came TacSol or Spikes, I got to check out both side by side. I did not see any real difference between the 2. Quality looked to be about the same and design was very close. I was disapointed that niether will eject a unfired round. They both take the ceiner style mags.
Then it just came down to price and wait time.
I ended up buying a TacSol online from a vendor on sale with free shipping below the price I got from Tacsol on a group buy price. Which I tried getting going and failed for this reason. I was told they would not undersell dealers. Thats OK. so 499.00 1 mag and free shipping I bought it.
Spikes was a bit more no mag and 25.00 shipping plus a 6-8 week wait. no- Spike does offer a lot of different opptions though. Which is good and bad. After I went through the opptions it would have been about 800.00 for my upper.
I just couldnt get into the ruger its just not right. kinda sorta ARish and AKish with the mag release. Turned off by smith for the plastic gun reason.

If you dont have a AR lower the AR uppers are of no consideration, I have not seen any of the AK 22lr type rifle.

There are a few highend match grade AR upper builders out there, name exscapes me at the moment. AR15.com has a great 22lr sticky going.

They all seem to have there quirks and ills which amazes me..........
Have you considered a Remington 552speed master. It takes 22 short,long and LR ans eats them all with ease. I dont know why these manufactures cant build a 22lr that will cycle with no issues. You do not see many of these any where. I have one from 1968 and it runs flawless.
100_1205-1.jpg

Last edited:
We at Remsport can build you a high quality 22lr AR or we can get you one of those AK 22lr for you.
The AK 22 is very enxpensive and I am not sure of the quailty, however for the price it may be OK.
Let me know.
413 579 1994

Once I had my generic ar-22 upper tuned, now It runs flawless with any bulk ammo, until it gets so dirty I have to put it down for the day and go home to clean it (lots and lots of rounds that is...). I like it because I have it set up so that it mirrors my shtf rifle an all aspects but recoil.

Gsg has an AK variant that I have seen....I think it is the next clone they are going to replace the mp5 with. look to be similar internals and magazines.

I was at Manchester Firing line yesterday and a guy next to me was shooting the GSG-5 and he said he loved it. I didn't shoot it but got to check it out up close. I read that its only being sold until Jan 31st and then that is it due to the HK lawsuit. I read a bunch of reviews on the GSG-5 and the GSG AK-47 and everyone seems to like them a lot.

I went to my local gun store and they had both in stock, I couldn't decide what I wanted so I bought both. [smile] They said nobody has returned any or heard of any issues with them.

Went to the range tonight and ran 150 CCI Mini Mags through each gun, I had 1 fail to fire in the GSG-5 near the end which I think was the ammo and not the gun. They both worked great, zero issues out of the box and they are both fun as hell to shoot!

They are different and they shoot different, I like the AK47 better. The magazine is bigger and was easier and quicker for me to load ammo, the action is on the right side (I'm right handed) and easy to cycle and I like the sights better. I bought a case so I can bring both with me and I will probably continue to do that. I'm going to put another 150 rounds of mini mags through each one and then see if they can deal with bulk ammo. The AK47 requires HV to cycle the action, I dunno about the GSG-5 I haven't read the book yet.

Also, the sights are off on the GSG-5, I need to figure out how to adjust them. The AK47 is right on (Although I'm a new shooter so at least I think they are). [grin]

dscn0867x.jpg

This is the 1st ~40 or so through the AK47 at 25.

img0065f.jpg

This is the 1st ~40 or so through the GSG-5 at 25, you can see why I think the sights are off. It shoots good groups, just not where I was pointing. [wink]

img0066mr.jpg

I'll probably end up putting a scope on the GSG-5 and mess with it, the AK47 is great just as it is. I plan to shoot the hell out of these, gonna see if my buddy wants to split a case of 5000. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom