.22 AR kit

I was at Cabelas & picked up a ss .22 BCG for my Stag. It is a CMMG. Has anyone had good luck with them? & is there anything special I need to know?

its just a adapter, things to know. accuracy can be poor...some AR lowers or the hammer to be more specific dont work well with them. Other than that mine functioned fine.

I was at Cabelas & picked up a ss .22 BCG for my Stag. It is a CMMG. Has anyone had good luck with them? & is there anything special I need to know?

A friend of mine has one and has nothing but good things to say about it. The only thing I have read about them that you may want to keep in mind is the rifling in your AR barrel is twice as fast as a .22LR barrel. That might lead to some accuracy issues at longer distances.

I don't know this for sure, but it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has one and has nothing but good things to say about it. The only thing I have read about them that you may want to keep in mind is the rifling in your AR barrel is twice as fast as a .22LR barrel. That might lead to some accuracy issues at longer distances.

I don't know this for sure, but it makes sense to me.

This

I haven't had any issues besides a jam in the charging handle, but CMMG makes a special CH just for the kit. I love it, but if you had a bit more cash to spare, a dedicated upper is the way to go.

Charging Handle Assembly, Anti Jam, 22ARC

I've had 3 CMMG kits (long story).

1st was stainless last year. Worked great (480 rounds) with a couple of poor ejections. Sold rifle and kit for other reasons.

2nd was a black unit in April this year with 15 failures to feed in first 90 rounds. CMMG tech support said would break in after 300-500 rounds. I didn't want to deal with that, so for $30 CMMG upgraded me to stainless.

3rd is the above mentioned stainless. Reached 500 perfect rounds this week. Not one failure of any type. Love it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I've had 3 CMMG kits (long story).

1st was stainless last year. Worked great (480 rounds) with a couple of poor ejections. Sold rifle and kit for other reasons.

2nd was a black unit in April this year with 15 failures to feed in first 90 rounds. CMMG tech support said would break in after 300-500 rounds. I didn't want to deal with that, so for $30 CMMG upgraded me to stainless.

3rd is the above mentioned stainless. Reached 500 perfect rounds this week. Not one failure of any type. Love it.

Yeah I have the stainless. Make sure you're using Federal/CCI Mini Mags. The failures I had was from the Winchester bullshit M22 and Remington Golden shit-bullets.

Yeah I have the stainless. Make sure you're using Federal/CCI Mini Mags. The failures I had was from the Winchester bullshit M22 and Remington Golden shit-bullets.

I have NOT had any problems with:

555 or 333 bulk Winchester (crap but they feed, fire, eject fine)

550 or 525 bulk Federal

375 CCI Tactical

Have not tried Remington, because Stag told me they have lots of problems with them.

Tried Aguila pistol match, but they had very little power. Out of a 50 round box I had to manually eject probably 40.

I have a dedicated 22LR upper from CMMG (stainless bolt, etc.) with no problems. The best dedicated upper I have ever tried.

I tried the kit in my Stag as soon as I got home. Worked pretty well. Had a couple of issues with the Federal 555 pk ammo but I was happy with the purchase.
As far as accuracy... It did very well, better for me than the .223 but that doesn't say much.
For $179. I couldn't ask for more!

as long as you have a stainless one you should be good to go. i had the black one first and it sucked

Remember you don't need a lot of lube, especially on the stainless one. (Rimfire ammo + too much lube = mud) I don't have the stainless one, (I have a dedicated upper but it is still the same concept) but just a few drops on the rail is all I've ever needed and my kids blow through the 555 Fed bulk packs like they are on sale at pre-election prices again.

Remember you don't need a lot of lube, especially on the stainless one. (Rimfire ammo + too much lube = mud) I don't have the stainless one, (I have a dedicated upper but it is still the same concept) but just a few drops on the rail is all I've ever needed and my kids blow through the 555 Fed bulk packs like they are on sale at pre-election prices again.

I use a plenty of lube, but only on the rails. I find that 0 weight synthetic is great for rimfires.

I have the stainless CMMG kit. They make a modification which holds the bolt open, on an empty chamber. Please note, you'll to sand down the sides of the magazine, so they won't get stuck in the mag well.

I have the stainless CMMG kit. They make a modification which holds the bolt open, on an empty chamber. Please note, you'll to sand down the sides of the magazine, so they won't get stuck in the mag well.

I bought the kit but didn't like the mods necessary, including the mag followers, so I never use it. The AR upper is modified, but I decided not to mess with the mags.

Black Dog mags have a follower that holds the bolt open on the last shot, but not locked back. This is a very simple approach that suits my needs so the CMMG kit is unnecessary.

JSE 20" HBar CMMG Stainless Steel .22LR 1x16, Midwest Industries Vented Top Rail Handguard Upper Complete

Hey guys, I just received this 22lr CMMG upper w/ stainless barrel and want to use it with a DPMS lower. It is the stainless barrel and Black Dog mags seem to fit and feed fine.

Will I be okay?

Nice... yes, you should be fine. If the DPMS lower has a notched hammer (red arrow on upper hammer):

aaaaceinerspringresize1mod.jpg

it may have cycling issues, but I'd try it and see.

I'm not sure about the CMMG 22LR uppers, but my Spikes 22LR barrel and bolt did not like dry firing. The firing pin peened the chamber to the point where cartridges wouldn't feed. [sad] Apparently my habit of grabbing the nearest AR and dry firing at my TV has more risks than putting holes in the LCD. I'm still partway through fixing that mess.

Best money I've ever spent on an upper, though. Prior to my screwing it up, that thing would just gobble up 22LR all day.

Nice... yes, you should be fine. If the DPMS lower has a notched hammer (red arrow on upper hammer):

it may have cycling issues, but I'd try it and see.

I'm not sure about the CMMG 22LR uppers, but my Spikes 22LR barrel and bolt did not like dry firing. The firing pin peened the chamber to the point where cartridges wouldn't feed. [sad] Apparently my habit of grabbing the nearest AR and dry firing at my TV has more risks than putting holes in the LCD. I'm still partway through fixing that mess.

Best money I've ever spent on an upper, though. Prior to my screwing it up, that thing would just gobble up 22LR all day.

Thanx. It does have the notched hammer, but the lower is stamped 5.56 (not multi-cal), so I wasn't 100% sure. Just in case, I also bought a complete CMMG lower at DL (warwick,ri) for $250.

- - - Updated - - -

[smile]

I ordered a .22LR conversion kit from Stag Arms because everybody else was sold out. Turns out, it is just a rebranded CMMG stainless kit. It even says CMMG right on the forward assist adapter (which I do not use).

The instructions said to use high velocity ammo, but I have tried everything I have, including Federal bulk, Fiocchi standard velocity, Blazer standard velocity, some AR Tactical stuff a friend gave me because his guns didn't like it, and even Remington subsonic. It has been 100% reliable with every brand so far, probably around 500-600 rounds without a failure.

I've been mostly plinking steel targets at 50 yards, and accuracy is fine for that with every brand.

The kit will easily pay for itself in ammo savings, although it's not exactly the same experience shooting .22LR as it is shooting 5.56

So what mags do you use in the Mass compliant CMMG conversions? I only saw one option and it wasn't available any more from CMMG.

Thanks, anyone have feedback on the Target Master .22 conversion they sell? $175 with 2 mags seems pretty decent.

In my experience all the Ciener copies are pretty much the same. I haven't used that particular one but I'm sure it's fine.

Black Dog's customer service is awesome by the way. I had a bunch of their old style magazines that had cracked feed lips. I wasn't even the original buyer, but they replaced them all with brand new X-Form mags no questions asked.

Back
Top Bottom