.22 Pistol for the wife, Opinions

So the lady wants to start shooting a bit more with me, which is obviously a positive thing. She has shot my 9mm, .40, and .45 and has the problem of anticipating the "bang", causing her to become inaccurate. At the range last night we had the opportunity (thanks to another very nice shooter, we were at MFS so if you are a member on here I want to thank you again) to shoot his SR22. She was much more accurate with this gun and it fit much better in her hands as she is only about 5'2. Obviously less recoil worked to her benefit. I want her to become proficient with a caliber like this before moving on.

I aquired a Sig Mosquito about a year ago, I shot it as well did she, and we both agreed that we did not like it. Many malfunctions (even with CCI mini mags) along with it being a bit larger frame. At this time I am leaning towards picking up an SR22 and Id like some opinions on it along with some other similarly framed .22s. What do your wives or significant others shoot?

Thanks in advance for the input!

-Tom

Can't go wrong with an SR22. We've got one, along with a Mark III (w/red dot) and Single-Six Bisley. The SR22 functions reliably, is easy to operate and clean, and it fits smaller hands well. Seems accurate enough, but the limited sight radius makes longer distances less fun than shorter distances. She likes them all, but likes the red dot on the Mark III when shooting targets for fun at longer distances. To me, the SR22 feels a bit too small in the hand.

Can't go wrong with an SR22. We've got one, along with a Mark III (w/red dot) and Single-Six Bisley. The SR22 functions reliably, is easy to operate and clean, and it fits smaller hands well. Seems accurate enough, but the limited sight radius makes longer distances less fun than shorter distances. She likes them all, but likes the red dot on the Mark III when shooting targets for fun at longer distances. To me, the SR22 feels a bit too small in the hand.
About says it all. Might as well close the thread

Although having live conversations is fun, there's a nifty search feature which lets you see if a question may have been asked before.

This is such a thread, and there were LOTS of responses already... you might find some good opinions there.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...eed-a-good-MA-compliant-22-pistol-for-my-wife

Well aware of the search feature. I typed in .22 pistol and didnt find that thread, I appreciate the link though. Ill read through that before progressing with this thread. Thanks for the responses

If it really is the noise, maybe you could get her higher-rated (like NRR 33db) earmuffs. Seriously. Or have her wear plugs under muffs. I've seen immediate improvement in the flinch for noise-sensitive shooters by just upgrading hearing protection.

I don't know if I agree with getting another gun, I had the same experience as your wife. (Don't think it matters but I'm 5'3")
My soon to be carry gun is going to be a S&W 9mm model 6904 (purchased in 1991 by a family member).
I just got my LTC-A in October and had never shot anything but shotguns, rifles, and a .22 pistol and even those
were a couple decades ago. The 6904 has a hard recoil for a 9mm and the first few times I shot it I
flinched in anticipation of the recoil. I also was pointing the gun down just prior to the shot - especially
that first DA shot. For me, practicing has been the fix. A couple months later and I've been glad
I gave it a chance and invested in the 9mm ammo instead of buying another gun. Each time I go to the
range I get better with it. When I'm ready it will be my carry gun. Ymmv but I wanted to toss this
in since it sounded like my situation exactly and what a difference the practice has made. Much luck to her whatever you choose.

I don't know if I agree with getting another gun, I had the same experience as your wife. (Don't think it matters but I'm 5'3")
My soon to be carry gun is going to be a S&W 9mm model 6904 (purchased in 1991 by a family member).
I just got my LTC-A in October and had never shot anything but shotguns, rifles, and a .22 pistol and even those
were a couple decades ago. The 6904 has a hard recoil for a 9mm and the first few times I shot it I
flinched in anticipation of the recoil. I also was pointing the gun down just prior to the shot - especially
that first DA shot. For me, practicing has been the fix. A couple months later and I've been glad
I gave it a chance and invested in the 9mm ammo instead of buying another gun. Each time I go to the
range I get better with it. When I'm ready it will be my carry gun. Ymmv but I wanted to toss this
in since it sounded like my situation exactly and what a difference the practice has made. Much luck to her whatever you choose.

I appreciate the reply Michele as this is exactly what she is doing. Flinching and then pointing the gun downward prior to trigger pull. I am going to try to get her to practice with an unloaded firearm just getting her used to pulling the trigger and moving nothing else. With more practice Im hoping this resolves the problem. Using a .22 for live fire will not hurt at all either.

I would look into a .22 clone of what she wants/has in centerfire. For example, if she likes the PPK, get a Walther .22 PPK. If she likes the 1911, then a SIG 1911 .22.

About says it all. Might as well close the thread

Not quite.

there are so many great .22 pistols these days.

i'd suggest she try out the following in addition to the SR22 in a barrel length that is reasonable in weight. All of the following guns can be had with long heavy barrels or shorter lighter barrels.

1) Ruger Mk III
2) Ruger .22/45
3) Browning buckmark.

My wife MUCH MUCH prefers my browning camper to any of my rugers.

The funny thing is the rugers are all tricked out with either power custom or volqhartsen triggers and millet or dot sights. The Browning is box stock. She just likes the way it feels better. I think the camper is a great size. Long enough sight radius to be accurate, but not too heavy.

BRO%20051379490.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I would look into a .22 clone of what she wants/has in centerfire. For example, if she likes the PPK, get a Walther .22 PPK. If she likes the 1911, then a SIG 1911 .22.

Great point. Advantage Arms makes great conversion kits for 1911s and Glocks.

I hear ya Tom. A couple of things that really helped me identify and be more conscious of my movement was to have someone else load the magazine with a mix of snap caps and live rounds. That way I could actually see the flinching and downward push of the gun that I otherwise didn't realize I was doing. Also, placing a coin on top of the slide and practicing dry fire with snap caps helped me with trigger control.

Sent from an iPhone Star-Trek Communicator

Ask around your club.

See who has what, and what she likes.

I'm not much of a pistol shot, and have the scores to prove it, but I personally dislike the feel of the Rugers (though I have a Mk I and Mk II, that my kid shoots). I shoot a vintage High Standard - it feels "right".

IMO, especially with a newer shooter, the comfort level is very important. And not just with bang, and recoil, but how it "fits."

SR22, 10+1 rounds, easy to keep on target, light weight, next to nothing for recoil and eats everything, cheap to shoot, shall I go on? I have not shot the others but from what I read, this is the one you want. I have one, you will not regret it.

My wife shoots a Walther P22. Shoots well and mine for some reason doesn't jam

The P22 is nice, but I found the mag release rubbed on my finger too much. I'm 6'3" with large hands.
I ended up with the Walther SP22, decent price and shoots anything, even Thunderbolt !!!
It looks futuristic. Not complicated to takedown and clean either.

--Edit, to add value rather than inappropriate humor:
I have a MkIII Hunter (6 & 7/8, stainless fluted with factory fiber optic sights.)
At 43 ounces with iron/optic sights, I find it heavy for extended sessions of target. I kinda wish I had held out for a 5.5" or the (very rare in Massachusetts) lined aluminum barrel Lite version.

Two whole pages and none of you wiseguys have responded: "Pistol for the wife, Opinions??? Sounds like a good trade to me!"

Because you should have many firearms, but ONLY ONE WIFE !!!!
One wife is all you need, anymore than that and you are asking for trouble.

The sr22 is a very nice firearm will eat most any ammo,I think it's one of the best all around 22 semi-auto pistols.Then again you can look into the sr22.if you don't like that then I would try the sr22.

Thank you for all the quality responses everyone. I am leaning towards the SR22 given the amount of positive reviews and the fact she has already shot one. I am going to have her handle a .22 revolver as well and see how she feels about that, along with the MKIII, I am only concerned about those two choices due to the weight of them. The SR22 seems to be a cheap enough purchase where even if she "grows out of it" it can still be fun to shoot and easy to sell.

Thank you for all the quality responses everyone. I am leaning towards the SR22 given the amount of positive reviews and the fact she has already shot one. I am going to have her handle a .22 revolver as well and see how she feels about that, along with the MKIII, I am only concerned about those two choices due to the weight of them. The SR22 seems to be a cheap enough purchase where even if she "grows out of it" it can still be fun to shoot and easy to sell.

I've never handled an SR22 - I WILL say that the hotrodded MkIII I have definitely chokes on some ammo (Remington GoldenBullet notably, plated hollowpoints...)
I've noticed the point on hollowpoints tend to get hung up on the feedramp, and a portion of the bullet gets scythed off and the action jams open.

You never grow out of a 22.

Back
Top Bottom