.22 Pistol for the wife, Opinions

Agree w the recs for SR22.
it feeds almost anything. A few ammo types cant extract but overall it is awesome.
ive got ~3k rounds through mine and very pleased. Excellent gun.

the 22 revolvers like 617 are nice too but pricy...id rather put the $$ towards a soft shooting 9mm for training.

Shooters get used to the weight. Girls boys don't matter.
I love the 22 revolvers but I never seem to pull out the cash for one of my own.
My wife shoots the mkIII hunter very well small hands and all.

Agree w the recs for SR22.
it feeds almost anything. A few ammo types cant extract but overall it is awesome.
ive got ~3k rounds through mine and very pleased. Excellent gun.

the 22 revolvers like 617 are nice too but pricy...id rather put the $$ towards a soft shooting 9mm for training.

I have 2 9mm, ,a MKIII, and a Sig P232. Looking for a revolver. She has a tough time with the Sig, and the 9mm.
After about 30 rounds she can tighten the group.
I don't mind spending the $, but was wondering of of the 2 revolvers I mentioned, would one be a better choice than the other?

I have 2 9mm, ,a MKIII, and a Sig P232. Looking for a revolver. She has a tough time with the Sig, and the 9mm.
After about 30 rounds she can tighten the group.
I don't mind spending the $, but was wondering of of the 2 revolvers I mentioned, would one be a better choice than the other?

ruger SP101 in 22LR is well built and awesome value. The grip size is nice and small but easily swapped out to bigger if needed. The 4" barrel helps the 22 round get decent velocity. a little better than snubbie or shorter barrel.
i love the s&w 617 too, but man its pricy. Fit and finish is nice but i just cant see deopping the $$ on a 22 revolver. Price difference is approx $200...quite a bit.

another revolver to consider is the ruger LCR in 22. Its good for training w the short signt radius and requires good trigger control. It is very light but recoil still super easy. Major downside is cant go single action although i am not a fan of using SA too much anyway since its unlikely to be used defensively. I love my LCR22 and it gets tons of use at the range. Great little gun.

Last edited:
Ruger SR22 all the way! it's a great gun... Mine has seen 3000+ rounds w/o issue. Plus having double &single action will be better for her to work on both types of trigger pull.

Plus NEW it's about $299 and

USED your looking at $225-250 on average!

Since this thread has been revived I will chime in and say that I ended up getting her the SR22. She loves it, as do I! Its a great gun to shoot, feeds anything we have put through it. We had my Mom shoot it who is pretty new to shooting and she loved it as well, so much so that she went out and bought one for herself. Same thing, she has had ZERO issues with it. Overall I give it an A+ rating for anyone looking for a quality .22 pistol

I appreciate the reply Michele as this is exactly what she is doing. Flinching and then pointing the gun downward prior to trigger pull. I am going to try to get her to practice with an unloaded firearm just getting her used to pulling the trigger and moving nothing else. With more practice Im hoping this resolves the problem. Using a .22 for live fire will not hurt at all either.
I got the SR22 for practice, and it has helped a lot. Just do not use Wichester X. The CCI works beautifully.
It is small, but I would still recommend a decent holster. Don't have it loose in the purse. The adjustable rear sight is vulnerable and can snag, as well as go out of adjustment.
Otherwise, it is a nice little CCW. At times I carry it instead of my LCR 38. The mag extension, and two different size grips make it a very comfortable gun.

From your post I gather that she does not do any dry fire. I would recommend for her to do daily dry fire practice... 50 to 100 rounds a day, to build up muscle memory. ANd do that again in the range, Maybe 5 - 10 rounds immediately before and after a string of live fire.

Here is a very good training method trick which has helped me a lot whe I had the same problems.
When you do the second trigger press... you can see the muzzle dip down immediately.
Most likely, if she does the training in the video below for 50 rounds, and the flinching will be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruger SP101 in 22LR is well built and awesome value. The grip size is nice and small but easily swapped out to bigger if needed. The 4" barrel helps the 22 round get decent velocity. a little better than snubbie or shorter barrel.
i love the s&w 617 too, but man its pricy. Fit and finish is nice but i just cant see deopping the $$ on a 22 revolver. Price difference is approx $200...quite a bit.

another revolver to consider is the ruger LCR in 22. Its good for training w the short signt radius and requires good trigger control. It is very light but recoil still super easy. Major downside is cant go single action although i am not a fan of using SA too much anyway since its unlikely to be used defensively. I love my LCR22 and it gets tons of use at the range. Great little gun.

I went with the Ruger SP101 in 22LR. She / we seem happy .
Hopefully we get to shoot it this weekend.

I went with the Ruger SP101 in 22LR. She / we seem happy .
Hopefully we get to shoot it this weekend.

good choice. She will love it.
other nice thing w 22 revolver is you can shoot 22 long or 22 shotshell or 22 quiet...basically weird 22 types that are either cheaper or more interesting.

got some 22 quiet recently and its cool if you want to shoot on private property but dont want to freek people out. It sounds like a snapping, not gunfire.

Last edited:
good choice. She will love it.
other nice thing w 22 revolver is you can shoot 22 long or 22 shotshell or 22 quiet...basically weird 22 types that are either cheaper or more interesting.

got some 22 quiet recently and its cool if you want to shoot on private property but dont want to freek people out. It sounds like a snapping, not gunfire.

I did pick up some of the CB rounds.
The hammer makes more noise than the actual round itself going off.

Sent from my iPhone thingy.

I did pick up some of the CB rounds.
The hammer makes more noise than the actual round itself going off. 

Sent from my iPhone thingy.

Ive heard people shooting .22CB in their basements with proper trap setup.
One of the many reasons why i loooooove wheel guns! So many options w ammo.

Back
Top Bottom