.22 Pistol Recommendations

If you go with the MK II/III go to shopruger.com and get some of their mag loaders you'll be glad you did.

+1,000!! I have had a loader similar to this one for 20+ years, and I can't even begin to describe how much easier it makes loading your mags!

Of course, if you have a little more room in your range bag and a few more dollars, this makes loading them even easier!

Go with the Single Six. May also come with a second cylinder chambered in .22 magnum, which is fun.

MkII is good if you can find one.

However, TWO people on my pistol team bought MkIIIs and they were both jam-o-matics even after having work done on them to try and cure it. Plenty of folks here apparently have good luck with MkIIIs, but IMO that's what it is: luck. I will certainly never buy one.

I've never had a problem disassembling or reassembling my Ruger MK II. But that's probably because I've never tried [laugh]

There is a speed strip kit available for those of you that have a problem with the takedown/rebuild of the Ruger pistols.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=...III_Speed_Strip_Kit?utm_medium=shoppingengine

HMMMM, very intresting, I may have to check that out closer.

I most times just use the spray cleaners now. If I'm shooting the gun a lot I just take the spray cleaner and shoot it down when I get home, if it's real dirty I may run a patch or two through it and then spray it again till I am done shooting for that period of time or when I can free up some time to clean.

It's better sometimes to leave them a little dirty, most of us go to crazy with the gun oil and that's not good either. [smile]

Last edited:
He lives pretty close to Tombstone Trading so we'll have to take a drive down and check out the Ruger and S&W and see which he likes more.

I think he would love a Smith and Wesson 617 but I don't think he'd want to spend the money. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a good used one the next couple of weeks. In the end it might be his only option.

Ya the guys at Tombstone are great, as I said in my other post they treated me great with the S&W 22 that I bought from them that broke, they have treated me great everyother time I have gone in there too.

To top it off the wife even likes going there and she doesn't like going to gun shops with me, she says I spend to much time at them [grin], but when we go to Tombstone she doesn't mind how long we stay there [grin].

. I love my MK II and just put a red dot on one,.

Yup that's my Bullseye gun.

I have a set of these grips on it and there great http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC3RG&Category_Code=VC2

and I use this sight .midwayusa.com/BSA SIGHT , I really like the circle with the 3 MOA dot in the middle, it works great for Bullseye.

Get one of these HKS mag loaders .midwayusa.com/HKS or one of the Baby Magula loaders .midwayusa.com/Baby Magula or the ADCO mag loader .midwayusa.com/ADCO

Midway USA has a good Ruger section .midwayusa.com/Ruger1022 and .midwayusa.com/Ruger

This is a great spot for 22 stuff also, Rimfire Sports

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=VC2

their home page

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=RSC

I had a Ruger Mark II years ago and now have a Mark III which I made into a Mark II but replacing the Mark III hammer and hammer bushing with a Mark II hammer and hammer bushing. I also replaced the LCI with a filler piece sold but a member of Rimfirecentral.com. That is the only difference between the two models. I shoot bullseye with a red dot and hope to shoot a steel challenge match this summer. Fun firearm.

My uncle is thinking about picking up a .22 pistol for plinking.

keltech PMR 30. 30 rounds of 22mag, rocknroll brotha

Not in MA, unfortunately. Not on the EOPS list and comes with 30 round mags. Pity... I really want one. Probably be my first purchase when I move to a free state.

The breakdown of a MkIII can be a PITA, at times. I last field stripped mine...um...a while ago. A box or three of bulk ammo. I did take a q-tip and some cleaner to break the junk out from around the feed ramp and chamber, it was VERY VERY dirty. I probably should take it completely down and clean it up, but I'm lazy and it hadn't malfunctioned until the crap was so great that the rounds were having difficulty feeding. I've never done a detail strip. There are two issues with field stripping the gun 1) There's a bunch of steps that you have to do in the right order (most are pretty obvious, but I'm brain dead on occasion), and 2) you have to make sure you've seated the receiver far enough back on the grip frame. I use a rubber mallet.

I've heard Emoto talking about his friends' MKIII's, before. I'm inclined to believe that they got on the very unlucky side of things. Most people I know with one have never complained about it's reliability, and mine keeps running and running until it gets more cruddy than any firearm every should be. I shoot federal bulk packs, blazer bulk packs, CCI SV, CCI Minimags and Aguila SV through it. It could be their particular guns were more sensitive to their particular ammunition, for whatever reason. .22 is like that. His suggestion of the Single Six is sound. Not everyone likes SA revolvers, but they are fun little guns.

Thing with the Single Six is that the gun usually comes built for the .22 mag and the .22LR type of ammo. I never owned one but have heard that it suffers in the accuracy department because the bore in the barrel is larger to accomodate the larger mag ammo. That is one reason I stuck with S&W .22LR revolvers.

We've got a MKIII Target and a Single-Six Bisley. The MKIII excels at punching holes in targets, but the Bisley is more fun to shoot at cans with. Neither one is particularly fun to clean, but the MKIII certainly has a steeper learning curve to it. But since the Bisley is "hers," I might have to get a Single-Ten for myself...

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SingleTen.htm

I have a Mark III Target, and I love it. It is not nearly as hard to strip and reassemble as everyone makes it out to be. I had to watch the video a few times during the first reassembly, but by the third time, it was down to a couple of minutes.

A mallet helps to whack the receiver off and back into place. After that, it's all in the position of the hammer and hammer strut. All of the tilting, inserting mag, pull trigger, remove mag, tilt again business is just to get the hammer into the right position. If you know where the hammer needs to be for the final step, that's all you really need to know.

And you can keep it pretty clean with just a bore snake and a toothbrush. I have disassembled it more than I needed to, just so I could get better at it.

Thanks for the info guys. FS had a used one with an extra mag for $400 but it was sold by the time I called. I will buy a new one when they come in. My 10 yr old girl started shooting her brothers rifle last week and loves it. She wants a pink Ruger. She has asked me to take her to the range often, so I want a .22 to shoot since we have been there about 1.5 hours each time. I have tons of .22 ammo and don't want to have to shoot my 9's that often.

Thing with the Single Six is that the gun usually comes built for the .22 mag and the .22LR type of ammo. I never owned one but have heard that it suffers in the accuracy department because the bore in the barrel is larger to accomodate the larger mag ammo. That is one reason I stuck with S&W .22LR revolvers.

I had read that too online but I just recently acquired a single six 22lr/22mag with the 9.5 inch barrel and it seems to be pretty damn accurate with 22lr ammo. Maybe it's the barrel length in my case that helps but I didn't notice any real issues regarding accuracy. I have yet to compare 22 mag to the 22lr yet though but I hope to hit the range again soon and do some comparisons.

i like the Walther P22.... when the last round ejects it flies straight back and hits my safety glasses so i know it's time to change mags...

Check the classifieds. There are several used Ruger .22's on there now. One more candidate would be a Browning Buckmark, which show up sometimes.
I've always liked the Single Six and the little Bearcat as plinkers. There are some other .22 revolvers that you see now and then on the used market - Charter Arms, H-R, Smith & Wesson Kit guns, Dan Wesson, etc. The nice thing about used .22's is you can be sure they haven't been stressed by hot loads.

I am thinking of getting a Ruger MKIII Hunter.

I (like most MKIII owners) love mine. Like others have said, the field strip is not bad at all once you've done it a couple times. Do yourself a favor and put 500 rounds through it before your first breakdown. It will loosen things up a little for you. Also, besides watching the videos, DEFINITELY invest in a rubber mallet and a 1/4" wooden dowel. That and a paperclip. :)

S&W Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece. One of the best .22 revolvers ever made IMHO. I love .22 revolvers. You can shoot everything from quiet little CB's to hyper velocity rounds. Cheap to shoot, super reliable and dead nuts accurate.

What's the difference between the Hunter (fluted bull barrel, fiber optic front sight) and the Competion (slab sided bull barrel, fixed front sight)? They are the same price at 4 Seasons.

What's the difference between the Hunter (fluted bull barrel, fiber optic front sight) and the Competion (slab sided bull barrel, fixed front sight)? They are the same price at 4 Seasons.

Beside the sights, the competition has a thumbrest. I am not aware that there are any other differences.

Chris

Thanks Chris, so safe to say that they are fairly equal in accuracy? I just kept going back and forth between pictures on the Ruger sight and I can't see a difference.

I own the Ruger MKIII. Great gun, accurate, reliable. Can be difficult to assemble after cleaning, but if you follow user manual directions, you'll be OK. After doing it 3-4 times, I have it down. Also a bunch of online videos to follow. The new Ruger SR22 just came out. Not MA compliant yet, but should be a no-brainer for even MA to OK. Looks like a fun general purpose .22. Ruger is good cost/reliable, great for a fisrst-time owner. Check out here: http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/index.html

Thanks Chris, so safe to say that they are fairly equal in accuracy? I just kept going back and forth between pictures on the Ruger sight and I can't see a difference.

I would bet that the competition model is easier to shoot accurately. The heavier barrel will reduce gun movement. The partridge sight on the competition model is easier to shoot accurately than the fiber optic front sight on the Hunter. The fiber optic front sight makes it easier to pick up quickly, but not easier to shoot for the utmost accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom