.22 Pistol Suggestions??

Love my SR22, it doesn't like the federal in the red box, but haven't had any issues with any other ammo at all.

Mark III install a tanderkross bushing for easy breakdown. The Mark III also excels at games like steel challenge and bullseye. I prefer the 22/45 version.

Either of the Rugers will be the best choices in that list. I've got the MKIII Hunter and my dad has the SR22. Awesome reliable accurate guns. I haven't heard any good things about the Mosquitos and the Walther I've heard mixed opinions on.

It really all depends on what you want to do with it? If you are looking for a .22 that you can use almost any brand of ammo get the SR22. however, if you are looking for bullseye accuracy get the Mark III. Mosquitos really only run well on a diet of Mini mags and the Walther can be almost as finicky.

We like .22Lr in this order

1. Smith & Wesson model 41 performance center.

2. Walther PPQ m2 5"

3. Beretta neox U22 6"

4. Walther PPQ M2 4"

5. M&p 22

6. Browning buck mark 7.25"

Reds

"Exclusivity is for everyone. Try us! You'll find us refreshing."

Reds, is that the full size M&P22, not the compact?

Browning Buckmark. Bought it in 1988 and it's one of the few guns that always goes to the range with me.

Wife has a SR22 and it's a decent little gun.

Both of them eat any ammo you can throw at them, but dirty the SR22 will sometimes not go into battery, so a little RemOil & toothbrush action and you're good to go.

The S&W 22A Talo edition is a beautiful gun. Discontinued, but you can still find them around. Patriot Arms in Ipswich has one in stock.
Z

If you are a target shooter, some of the High Standard target pistols are very accurate and made well.

The Supermatic Citation is a great shooter.

Any of the K22 Smith and Wesson revolvers are also excellent as well.

Ruger does .22 better than anybody. Period, end of story. For a pistol the SR22 eats anything with barely a hiccup and for a rifle the 10/22 is almost unparalleled in feeding any brand of .22 ammo.

I wouldn't buy much else that Ruger makes but they do .22 better than anybody.

That's a bit strong. I'd say Ruger does .22 better than anybody under $500.

I have a soft spot for .22 handguns...

Beretta 21a
Beretta 87bb
Browning 1911-22
Ruger MKIII bull barrel with TR-25 red dot sight.
Ruger Single Six .22lr/ .22WMR
Old nickel-plated Rigarmi .22 Long.

Well up to a Volquartson modified Ruger product anyways. Who else is close under $800?
I got to thinking about it, did some searching, and think you are right: there really isn't anything out there that is better than Ruger under $800 (pistol). Over $800 and there are lots of options both new and used.

Looking for something to practice with.

Ruger SR-22
Walther PPQ .22
Sig Mosquito
Ruger Mark III

Others.

I've shot the Ruger SR-22 and liked it.
Local Gun shop stated the Walther was much better (they had one in stock)

I've shot my dad's Ruger Mark II but it is a bitch to clean... and he has this silly scope on it (not good for practicing)

Any other suggestions?

Only .22 pistols I've used are the Ruger Mark and the Walther P22. Never been a fan of the Ruger for practice because it doesn't follow the handling characteristics of a normal semi-auto. Ruger SR-22 has looked good to me. That's what I'd do.

Ruger Mark or 22/45.

3 months ago I'd have cautioned you about the take down and cleaning. But purchased one of the Majestic Arms speed strip kit at SHOT and it transforms the whole process of take down for these pistols.

I don't consider taking down these pistols for cleaning to be a big deal. But some people do, and it makes it very very easy.

I also bought his trigger/sear/hammer/bushing kit. I haven't tried it yet. But there are many sources for decent Mk / 22/45 triggers. Including Volqhartsen and power custom.

Re the others:
Mosquito - it just sucks. I had one that ran flawlessly, a rarity. I got it for pistol classes. But its accuracy was TERRIBLE. I'm talking 6" groups benched at 25 ft.

Ruger SR22 - fun gun. But too inaccurate for target use. And too small for an accurate representation of a defensive gun. Great gun though.

Somthing you haven't mentioned - Advantage Arms or TacSol .22 conversion kits for the Glock or 1911. I love these kits. yes, they cost as much as any of the above pistols, but you can practice on your primary defensive weapon.

Don

Last edited:
I bought a Walther P.22 and I'm sorry. It's ammo fussy, not very accurate and the barrel leads up like nothing I've ever seen. I also have a Ruger MKlll and that eats anything I feed it without missing a beat. The Ruger was a bit of a PIA to take down when I first got it but no problems on that front now .I think if I was going to get another .22 I would get a Ruger wheel gun. The Bearcats I think with a .22 LR cylinder and a .22 mag cylinder. I'm afraid you get what you pay for.

Avoid the Sig and Walther 22's like a plague. The SR22 is head and shoulders better. Im not a fan of the Ruger MKIII variants at all.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Like I said above. I'm a big Mk X / 22/45 fan.

But I forgot to mention the Browning buckmark.

Its actually a "nicer" gun than the rugers for about the same money. Unfortunately there is very little as far as customizations for the gun. Especially the lack of a match trigger mod.

What the browning also has going for it is a 1911 grip angle and safety position.

Like I said above. I'm a big Mk X / 22/45 fan.

But I forgot to mention the Browning buckmark.

Its actually a "nicer" gun than the rugers for about the same money. Unfortunately there is very little as far as customizations for the gun. Especially the lack of a match trigger mod.

What the browning also has going for it is a 1911 grip angle and safety position.

Don's right that there's a limited number of truly custom internal parts for the Buckmark. Volquartsen makes a target hammer which drops the trigger to about 2 pounds. Other than that, barrels, grips, etc are available from the aftermarket with a lot of choices. The other thing about Buckmarks is that they're available in a huge number of different configurations from the factory.

Back
Top Bottom