.22 Pistol Suggestions??

Looking for something to practice with.

Ruger SR-22
Walther PPQ .22
Sig Mosquito
Ruger Mark III

Others.

I've shot the Ruger SR-22 and liked it.
Local Gun shop stated the Walther was much better (they had one in stock)

I've shot my dad's Ruger Mark II but it is a bitch to clean... and he has this silly scope on it (not good for practicing)

Any other suggestions?

Just one guy's opinions, but here goes:

I've owned a Walther P22. It's a great little plinker. Sometimes can be finicky with ammo but for the most part runs no problem. I haven't shot the Ruger SR-22, but I've heard good things. I've shot the Sig Mosquito. Didn't find anything wrong about it but it has a reputation that it only likes CCI .22. The Ruger Mark III is a great pistol. Can't go wrong with that.

I've found there are two different styles of .22. There's the "combat trainer" style, such as the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito. Then there's the "target" style, such as the Ruger Mark III and the Browning Buckmark.

Any of them are a good time. Just be realistic that .22 isn't 100% reliable no matter what gun is shooting it. Enjoy!

The SIG Mosquito will help you learn how to deal with malfunctions.Because that what it does half the time. When it comes to 22's Ruger is the way to go.

Ruger does .22 better than anybody. Period, end of story. For a pistol the SR22 eats anything with barely a hiccup and for a rifle the 10/22 is almost unparalleled in feeding any brand of .22 ammo.

I have a .22 conversion for my P226 and it is reliable if you keep the feedramp clean. My old SR 22 doesn't care if the ammo is dirty, clean, HV, SV, silent, M-22, or whatever you can get your hands on. And the sights are adjustable.

I wouldn't buy much else that Ruger makes but they do .22 better than anybody.

I share the above sentiments. I have a couple MK series guns and they are awesome. I also have an SR-22 and it works pretty good, mine is a little picky lately about ammo, maybe I should clean it [smile].
The Mosquito is junk and according to the Sig rep I talked to they are being discontinued. I have never shot the Walther but have heard mixed reviews.
The MK series is different than any of the others you mentioned in feel and function. The SR-22 is more like a standard semi auto.

Ruger Mark III would be your most accurate and reliable option by far. IMHO the take down is not bad at all. I can strip it down and put it back together with my eyes closed, after you have done it multiple times it gets easier.

I have the Ruger. SR 22..eats all 22 ammo...great little gun...I strongly recommend it

^this

- - - Updated - - -

The SIG Mosquito will help you learn how to deal with malfunctions.Because that what it does half the time. When it comes to 22's Ruger is the way to go.

^this too

- - - Updated - - -

SR22. Every time I take mine to the range, there is someone with a Walther P22 saying they wanted to buy the Ruger but it was not in stock.

^this three

- - - Updated - - -

Ruger Mark III would be your most accurate and reliable option by far. IMHO the take down is not bad at all. I can strip it down and put it back together with my eyes closed, after you have done it multiple times it gets easier.

I love my 22/45 mark iii but it took a lot of modification to make it worthy (LCI replacement, mag disconnect removal, new front sight, grip modifications)

SR-22 is a great little handgun for the money.

I have a Sig Mosquito and must have gotten one of the good ones. I believe Patron bought his after trying mine and liking it at a Boy Scout shoot. But I also contend that Sig's new designs have often been problematic, but I love Sig's older, tried and true designs.

I've only gotten rid of three firearms over the years. One was a trade that was just simple way too good to be true and I got a Krieghoff shotgun in return for a firearm that I loved, but didn't use much. The other two were sold and both Sig new designs that disappointed.

I really like my Ruger MK pistols. I HAVE 1 MKII and 2 MKIIIs They feel great in your hand, are very accurate and mine seem to like any 22lr I feed it. I must admit I have been frustrated a time or two while cleaning them but I took it as a challenge to learn to do it right and it's getting easier the more you do it.

As JRiopel45 said, there are basically two types of .22 pistols, except there are three; he left out revolvers.

My wife has a Sig Mosquito, and apparently it's one of the rare ones - it works just fine. Took a little time to figure out what ammo it likes, it's partial to CCI optimized for the AR-22 platform. Yeah, okay - it doesn't know it's a plinker - and worse yet, it's purple. To quote Ed Morse "so ghey".

I'm partial to Buckmarks, which are similar to the Ruger Mark II/III guns, except they're easier to clean. I've got a couple of them, you can run them with open sights or optics depending upon what you want to do with them. They're definitely "target" as opposed to "pseudo-combat" guns. Very like the Ruger Mark II/III guns, except easier to clean. As far as that goes, don't let the difficulty of cleaning a Ruger Mark II/III put you off; it's just something you learn to do, part of the price of ownership.

For a .22 revolver, I can't speak too highly of a S&W 617 10 shot. Gorgeous gun, and PennyPincher's selling one. If I didn't already have one, I'd buy hers. I've got a ultradot mounted on mine and it's unbelievably accurate.

Last, but not least, are the conversion kits available for Glock, Kimber, and ??? I've got an Advantage Arms that fits my Glock 34 and I've shot a friend's Marvel conversion kit. It's an interesting concept if you're looking for a trainer and you'd like to keep the same look and feel, (more or less).

What you will hear about other .22 pistols is that "it likes x brand ammo" or "it works fine as long as I feed it high velocity ammo".

With the SR.-22 it just doesn't care.

That is a huge difference.

I got the SR22 for the kids. It functions just fine...but mine likes to be real clean and lube well to function properly. But unlike a MK, it very easy to do...

Browning buckmark! Nothing but a good experience had here.

Also I'm a huge fan of a smith 317 or 617, no ammo worries with these

Of the ones you listed.... Ruger22

I picked up a Ruger 22/45 LITE MKIII this winter. It has filled a big hole that had been left in my collection. I had looked at the SR22's but I wanted a pistol that was a little more target worthy. Now that I have one I wonder why I waited so long.

My favorite's;

#1) S&W 617
#2) Ruger Mark III
#3) Walther P22
#4) S&W 61

The first two are mine, the last two belong to my wife.

Find a used High standard

If you want a High Standard, my Dad's cousin had
about 140 of them and I believe there are some left.
Santurjian Consignment Collection @ The Armory

Maybe I'll ask my Dad if I can grab one for myself.

Browning Buckmark, if you can find one, preferably the hunter version.

Ruger Mk.iii is Ok too. Don't let fear of disassembling deter you.

Also old H&R breaktop revolver is awesome.

Last edited:
I like the: (In no particular order)

Browing Buckmark (Pullman Arms in Worcester has had them)

SR22

S&W 22A-1

S&W 422

Back
Top Bottom