.22 rifle hunting in Mass?

From the 2008 abstracts.
Coyote
Jan - Mar. 8
Oct. 8 - Mar. 7, 2009
<snip>
Coyote & Fox -Hunting hours end at midnight. Artificial lights prohibited. Rifles chambered to take larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire ammunition and pistols and revolvers larger than .38 caliber are prohibited between the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise (night time). Shotguns are allowed: see shotgun ammunition, page 5. Firearms other than shotguns and bows and arrows are prohibited on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season. Coyote and Fox must be tagged within four working days of the end of the season.

Restrictions are for hunting after dark. You can use centerfire rifles during daylight hours.

Last edited:
I'm not a hunter, but will .22lr do the job cleanly on an animal as big as a coyote? I honestly don't know, but it seems a little on the weak side.

I'm not a hunter, but will .22lr do the job cleanly on an animal as big as a coyote? I honestly don't know, but it seems a little on the weak side.

You are correct. It is on the weak side. Way on the weak side. A .22LR will kill porcupines, fox, coyotes, and larger stuff, but not always humanely.
Save the .22 for squirrels and rabbits.

Kar98

The hunting abstract says one can hunt with a rifle chambered up to, and including .22 long rifle, with some exception listed on page 10 and 12.

Just got this off the MassWildlife web page.

Changes in Hunting Methods:
The so-called "rifle ban" in the southeastern counties will no longer be issued. Hunters in those counties will now be able to use rifles chambered equal to or larger than .22 caliber (including .17 caliber rifles), except as provided below:
a. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, (nighttime hours) rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle.

b. Rifles of any kind may not be used on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons.

There have also been changes in the allowable shot sizes. For the purpose of hunting coyotes, hunters may use shotgun cartridges with shot sizes up to and including FF (.230 inches diameter). However, shot sizes larger than #1 birdshot may not be used for hunting other game birds or mammals (including fox and bobcat), except for waterfowl as provided in the annual Migratory Game Bird Abstracts . Also, in accordance with state law, cartridges loaded with slugs, single balls and buckshot may be used for hunting deer or coyotes only during the shotgun deer season.

Good luck
Kurt

P.S. Why not use a shotgun?

So you are all saying that has changed? What other species am I allowed to hunt with a rifle?

Black Bear - "Hunting only with rifle .23 caliber or larger, muzzleloader .44 - .775 caliber, bows with 40 lb. pull or greater, or revolvers .357 Magnum or .40 caliber or larger. Handguns permitted in September season only. "

Bobcat, Coyote, Fox (red & grey), Gray Squirrel, Opossum, Racoon & Snowshoe Hare. may also be taken with rifles or pistols.

All of this and more is in the link I posted above.

I am surprised no one has taken advantage of this law with the deer season.

I spoke with wildlife management and if they see you in the woods with a 308 during deer season, and you say "I am hunting coyotes" they have nothing on you.

I'm more concerned about legality.

I missed this comment.

I'm not looking to pick a fight here but it sounds like you just want to go out and shoot coyotes with no concern of a clean kill and no intent of harvesting the pelts.

Please, don't do this. There's more to hunting than just shooting animals, it's a waste of a perfectly good pelt.

I'm told by a friend of mine who's a trapper that coyote pelts in prime condition were bringing upwards of $95.00 last year.

From your commentary in this thread I have to think you have'nt taken a hunter safety course. You'll need to take one before you can buy a hunting license in this state.

If you need to hunt with a .22, stick to smaller game.

I missed this comment.

I'm not looking to pick a fight here but it sounds like you just want to go out and shoot coyotes with no concern of a clean kill and no intent of harvesting the pelts.

Please, don't do this. There's more to hunting than just shooting animals, it's a waste of a perfectly good pelt.

I'm told by a friend of mine who's a trapper that coyote pelts in prime condition were bringing upwards of $95.00 last year.

From your commentary in this thread I have to think you have'nt taken a hunter safety course. You'll need to take one before you can buy a hunting license in this state.

If you need to hunt with a .22, stick to smaller game.

+1

and it might be useful to actually READ the abstract. All of it.

I would tend to disagree about the coyote thing. They are WAY over populated, and a nuisance animal that is also very dangerous. If we left it up to those who would only kill for the pelts, we would have a crazy over population issue. (imagine that) When I am out hunting deer, a coyote would be a kill of opportunity, and helping the health of the overall population, and helping to keep a healthy white tail population.

Alas, in MA, the regulations require checking the carcass,
which is a major PITA for a target of opportunity. I think that this
is one of the reasons that we do not have much dedicated Coyote hunting.

F

The abstracts state nothing about checking the "carcass" in, but rather state "Pelts must be tagged within four working days of the end of the season"

So, if you don't intend to keep the pelts, do you still have to check them in? If so, maybe I prefer to keep all my pelts in place, on the carcass stacked in the woods until the due date, and by then, what if something else has already eaten the carcass?

Last edited:
The abstracts state nothing about checking the "carcass" in, but rather state "Pelts must be gagged within four working days of the end of the season"

So, if you don't intend to keep the pelts, do you still have to check them in? If so, maybe I prefer to keep all my pelts in place, on the carcass stacked in the woods until the due date, and by then, what if something else has already eaten the carcass?

It is my understanding that all pelts must be checked in, whether they
are to be sold or not. I would be quite happy to learn that I am mistaken.

It is my understanding that all pelts must be checked in, whether they
are to be sold or not. I would be quite happy to learn that I am mistaken.

It only states pelts, but what if you aren't planning on keeping the pelts? Do they expect you to skin everyone you kill? What if you wanted to have it stuffed complete? Would you have to skin it, check the pelt, then send the body and the pelt already separated from the carcass to the taxidermy man?

Hey, guys, I came across this discussion while doing a Google search and decided to join in....

I am surprised no one has taken advantage of this law with the deer season.

I spoke with wildlife management and if they see you in the woods with a 308 during deer season, and you say "I am hunting coyotes" they have nothing on you.

Actually, this isn't correct. Under the laws, it is still illegal to possess rifles or handguns during the shotgun deer season.

Hey, guys, I came across this discussion while doing a Google search and decided to join in....

Actually, this isn't correct. Under the laws, it is still illegal to possess rifles or handguns during the shotgun deer season.

Hello and welcome.

I was told that during bow and Muzzle that I could hunt for coyotes with my .50 cal. You are right about Shotgun season, they restrict the use of thses firearms, other then shotgun.

It only states pelts, but what if you aren't planning on keeping the pelts? Do they expect you to skin everyone you kill? What if you wanted to have it stuffed complete? Would you have to skin it, check the pelt, then send the body and the pelt already separated from the carcass to the taxidermy man?

The way it's written, the pelt (or animal) must be brought into an official check station prior to whatever you plan on doing with it. It falls under the furbearer classification, which in the scope of things, is probably the only way a coyote season was ever allowed in MA in the first place. [wink]

I would tend to disagree about the coyote thing. They are WAY over populated, and a nuisance animal that is also very dangerous. If we left it up to those who would only kill for the pelts, we would have a crazy over population issue. (imagine that) When I am out hunting deer, a coyote would be a kill of opportunity, and helping the health of the overall population, and helping to keep a healthy white tail population.

You should study up.

I suggest here: http://www.coyotegods.com/

Some consider it to not be hunting if you are just disposing of it. The coyote is such a noble predator, it deserves some respect. I haven't totally made up my mind on it yet (despite the screen name).

Last edited:
You picked a fight MrTwigg.

Someone should give you and matt an infraction for insulting my intelligence.

Or my readiness to hunt properly.

I've read the whole abstract.

And I have a sporting license.

This is just another unhelpful thread on the forum supposedly made to contribute to the shooting community.

Sorry you took things the wrong way
According to your comments in my "Latest Reputation Received" :
I have a hunting license. Thanks for being so unhelpful.
So posting a link to the most recent Ma. abstract and answering your first question as well as stating what other game was lawfull for a rifle to answer your second question was of no help to you at all ?

Let's review;
I thought the abstract said you can hunt coyote with a .22 rifle.
Is this true?
Only in certain areas?
According to your first post you did not know if or what you could hunt with a rifle in Massachuestts, despite claiming to have read the abstract.

Then;
Well I was under the impression that there was NO RIFLE HUNTING IN MASSACHUSETTS.

So you are all saying that has changed? What other species am I allowed to hunt with a rifle?

I don't know what could have "changed". Looks to me like you still had not read the abstract or you would have known what was legal game.

Then there's this comment;
I'm more concerned about legality.

Think about how this comes across. I reads like you don't care about taking the animal cleanly.
This after three other people suggested a .22 might be insufficent, and before I made my previous comment to you.

Then you give me a smart*ss comment and get all pissy.

Just answer one question for me;
In your second post here you stated;
I figured, get the FID, get a gun, join a couple clubs, don't do anything illegal for a few years, then get an LTC-A. There is no way in hell they were giving me one right off the bat. They even restricted my FID...
emphasis mine

AKIK "Restircted" FID's are for O/C only, How are you buying guns on a restricted license ?

We've already had one former(now banned) member here admit to being a convicted felon while attempting to purchase firearms here, now I'm not saying you are but things just don't add up.

1. You have a "Restricted" FID.

2. You want to know if you can obtain and carry a pistol using a military ID.
Does having a military ID allow someone to:
A) Purchase a pistol and ammunition in Massachusetts?
B) Carry concealed in Massachusetts?

3. You are trying to buy ammo without walking into a gun store.
At least from the responses you received it sure sounds like you don't want to actually walk into a gun store. [hmmm]

Put these all together and it looks
thstinkyfish.gif

I don't want to see anyone here "help" you and then have legal problems if you are not 100%.
Since I have been so "unhelpful" I'll just put you on the ignore list.
elf_moon.gif
[laugh]
I will not comment further on this thread.

You should study up.

I suggest here: http://www.coyotegods.com/

Some consider it to not be hunting if you are just disposing of it. The coyote is such a noble predator, it deserves some respect. I haven't totally made up my mind on it yet (despite the screen name).

Trust me I have "studied up", and I have come to realize the fact that they are WAY over populated in this state, and with no natural predators they are pushing their way into areas occupied by humans, and posing threats to children. They are also pushing other indigenous animals out of their habitat, and the number of people who hunt them is so low, the population in MA is rising at an exponential rate.

If someone goes into the woods, tracks an animal, waits patiently, stalks and kills that animal, that's hunting period. Weather of not they take the animal and eat it, or use it for the hide, it's still hunting. Just because the idea of doing so doesn't match up with the beliefs of self righteous, and self proclaimed "real hunters" or "purists" doesn't mean Jack. The fact still remains that hunters for centuries have hunted the coyote for no other reason than to remove their threat to game populations. In my eyes, there is no difference in killing a coyote, or a damn prairie dog. They are both varmints.

All that being said, I could care less if someone is out to hunt them to thin the heard, and remove a varmint, or to take the animal and stuff it, and keep it in their living room for the purpose of having to point at when their own dog is acting up.

I lost three cats in three years to coyotes. When I was a kid, the cats could go out, now our latest cat is only indoors. Does not seem fair.

I have had many arguments both publicly and informally with Dr. Jonathan Way. This guy names his coyotes, so I would be worrisome of his studies.

Granted I have lost my blood lust for Deer the last few years, however I will be thinking seriously about getting a license this year and going on a killing spree. The coyotes on the Cape do not belong here. If I do this; will I check them in? yes... will I keep the pelts? I am unsure...

Back
Top Bottom