.22 Target shooting and 1911's

NES Member
I've been thinking of joining my clubs .22 target pistol team next year. Right now I don't have a .22 pistol worth using for this. I have been looking into the Advantage Arms "1911 Target Conversion Kit" for $350.

My questions,

1. Is anyone using 1911's for .22 target matches?
2. Would I be better off taking the $350 and put it toward something like a Ruger target model or similar.

To be honest, I don't know for sure if people use AA 1911 conversions in bullseye matches. I think they at least use Marvel conversions some. However, I've been using a Tactical Solutions 1911 conversion for a few months and when I think about it, at least the way mine worked out, it might be less than ideal for bullseye. First, they like high velocity ammo to be reliable. Typically, bullseye shooters use some sort of standard velocity ammo like Green Tag or something. Maybe using high velocity is fine, I just know it isn't the norm. Second, in order to get my conversion reliable I had to use heavy mainspring in, like 22# or 23#. The mainspring that was part of the lighter trigger jobs I was used to, #19 or 17#, didn't have the umph to set off .22s rimfires in my conversion. If your 1911 has a nice trigger, that's something to think about.

All that aside, I love having a 1911 .22 setup for cheap practice. A Ruger is nice too and really simple to set up.

More food for thought than answers to your questions.

Last edited:
$300 would buy you a Ruger Mk 3 bull barrel. $375 or so would get the same gun in stainless, which is what I bought. My thought is why buy a conversion kit when you can have a whole new gun. Also, Advantage Arms wants another $60 for the scope base, which is included with the rugers. In my experience, shooting iron sights on the poorly lit indoor ranges used for most bullseye matches is a recipe for frustration.

I've been thinking of joining my clubs .22 target pistol team next year. Right now I don't have a .22 pistol worth using for this. I have been looking into the Advantage Arms "1911 Target Conversion Kit" for $350.

My questions,

1. Is anyone using 1911's for .22 target matches?
2. Would I be better off taking the $350 and put it toward something like a Ruger target model or similar.

I have a conversion unit that fits over any 1911. I usually goes on my Colt. Buy i have tryed it on SW Preference center 1911. the unit has Adjustable sights and fits real tight. well worth the money, and it is a tac driver

One of the top shooters in the Nashoba Valley B/E League uses a Marvel conversion. I've watched him use it to shoot scores well into the 290s, so you can certainly score well with that kind of rig. That said, if you're planning to get the conversion solely for B/E competition, my personal opinion (FWIW) is that your money would be better spent on a dedicated .22 pistol such as the Ruger.

One of the top shooters in the Nashoba Valley B/E League uses a Marvel conversion. I've watched him use it to shoot scores well into the 290s, so you can certainly score well with that kind of rig. That said, if you're planning to get the conversion solely for B/E competition, my personal opinion (FWIW) is that your money would be better spent on a dedicated .22 pistol such as the Ruger.

We also have a mid 280 Average shooter that uses the Marvel conversion with good results. If you already own the conversion, go for it. if you need to purchase, take Dick's advice

I shoot a Marvel conversion on a dedicated frame in both the Nashoba & Merrimack Valley leagues. I also shoot the outdoor 1800 & 2700 matches which is where the Marvel has a real advantage because you are only learning one gun. If you use the same frame you will have the same trigger pull. With a dedicated frame you can have what you want for a trigger. All Marvel Conversions are guaranteed to shoot under 1" groups at 50 yds.

Bob Marvel the original designer/builder of the Marvel conversion is no longer involved with the company and is on his own. He has hooked up with the people from Advantage Arms and is taking their conversions and upgrading them to make them more accurate. He has not started shipping them yet. The Advantage Arms conversion as it comes from them is not as accurate as a Marvel conversion is. But after Bob Marvel is done with it I am sure it will be very accurate.

I really like the Marvel it works flawlessly and my scores have improved greatly in the 4 years that I have been shooting it. I have gone from shooting in the mid 260's with a S&W 41 to mid 270's/280's

Bob

If you do purchase a Ruger, get the Target model so you don't have to get the receiver drilled and tapped. I think most folks would also recommend the Mk II, not the III. Then get the Volquartsen trigger, it's a drop-in replacement and helped my scores by at least 15 points.

I noticed that Steve at The Shooters Box is currently listing two used Clark Custom Ruger Mark IIs on his web site. They're a bit more money than the $350 you mentioned, but might be worth a look.

Thanks for the great advice guy's. I think I'm going to start out with a MKIII.

I got an MKII and love it. Actually Scriv recommended it due to the difficulties with the MKIII (cleaning, etc). The MKII is exteremely accurate (Yelena used it while here and was pleased with the accuracy as well).

I picked it up from a dealer in TX - only 25 rounds through it, and was an anniversary edition. I feel it is one of the best purchases I have made.

Marvel makes a great 22 conversion, my longslide conversion came with a .75 in test group at 50 yds. The problem is what lower to use. In my case it was quite simple, I had a beatuful single stack custom 38 Super Colt lower that was sitting idle because the barrel and comp had worn out and it didn't make much sense to invest in a new top end as single stack Super comp guns were no longer competitive.

The Super now has a 22 top end that will hold its own with just about any other target pistol. The real advantage is that the lower is a 1911 which I am most comfortable with both shooting and gunsmithing. It is a LOT easier to do a trigger job on a 1911 than it is on a high end 22 target pistol, at least for me. If you invest in an expensive 22 upper, you have to use a lower that will allow you to take advantage of the capabilities of the 22 conversion.

All great Ideas, its going to come down to personal preference, I have both a ruger MK I & MK II with 5.5" bull barrels, both are tac drivers and triggers from factory arent that bad.... I suggest shooting different models to find the right one for you..... Ive heard the same thing about the MK III's as well.... If I'm not mistaken, can't you buy a new upper for the Mk series guns as well?

Thank you all for you input. Though I was going to buy a new target gun, I received a great price from Tony Dedo on a Marvel upper. He should be here at the meeting poiont any time now. I'll post a report at some point.

I have a Kimber with a .22LR conversion on it. It's very accurate. However it's sensitive to ammo and depending on shooter/type of rest sometimes it fails to return to battery. It may just be the type of ammo I use (federal high velocity).

For reliability, it may need some work before you take it for competition.
I'm ok using it for what I do but I would have to spend some time to get it reliable.

I bought a Wilson commander conversion kit. Since the Wilson commander is what I use for all my competitions, it made sense. Same grip, same trigger pull, same sights. Repetition!!

Both the Marvel conversion and the Ruger are good choices. One advantage to the Marvel is that if you want to shoot the 1911 .45 better- it helps. On the other side the Ruger would be a dedicated .22 with a 2 pound trigger. Greg

Back
Top Bottom