.223 1:12 Twist Recommendations

I'm now loading .45 ACP on my Dillon RL550. I bought the Lee .223 dies and plan on doing the same.

Any reloading recommendations for my Colt AR15?

I have the 1:12 20 inch chrome barrel

What prodectile do you reccommend for a 1:12 twist. What powder/grains to experiment with. I know that some of the projectiles are better suited to 1:7. How about the 1:12 twist?

Dick

From my experience and readin up on the subject ...with a slow twist like that you should be shooting the light varmint bullets, 55 grains or less. 1:9 twist is generally best for 50-60 grainers and then 1:8 or 1:7 twist for 55-75 grains, with 60-62 grains being ideal for the 1:8 or 1:7.

What do you plan on doing with these loads? Plinking? Target shooting? Varmint hunting? Something else?

James Calhoon Fine Shootin' Bullets Main Page

VALUE PRICED to make high volume shooting more affordable.

DOUBLE HOLLOW POINT(DBL HPTM) Our unique DBL HP bullet, with a cavity in its soft lead core, triggers explosive expansion even at low velocities. Its high incidence of total expansion minimizes ricochets and provides added safety when hunting near livestock.

"SLICK-SILVERTM" coating is electrochemically applied to the outside of the bullet to provide an ultra slippery bore lubricant which reduces fouling and makes barrel cleaning easier. Cleans with regular bore cleaners. "Slick-SilverTM" plating gives the appearance of a real silver bullet. Useful in many of todays endevours against varmints, werewolves and vampires. All James Calhoon bullets are "Slick-SilverTM" plated.

22 Caliber NEW!! 30 gr DBL HP especially for Hornets!
30gr DBL HP Hot loads for the 22 Hornet. Achieve up to 3500 ft/sec!
37gr, 42gr, & 46gr DBL HP Designed for Hornets, used also in 22 CCM to 223. Suggested maximum - 3800 ft/sec.
50gr DBL HP Especially for 222 and 223. Can also be used from Hornets to 22-250's. Soft core enhances complete disintegration at even low velocities. Suggested maximum - 3600 ft/sec.
52gr DBL HP Similar to the 50gr DBL HP, but the 52gr DBL HP utilizes a hard core to deliver deeper penetration. An excellent coyote bullet. Suggested maximum - 3600 ft/sec.
NEW!! 52gr RBT DBL HP By popular demand, the old large hollow point 52s are back! Due to Fred's incessant belly-aching, we are forced to bring back the 52gr "Bubble Butt". Not great BC's, but you can't beat the launching, elevation and "helicopters"! Suggested maximum: 3600 ft/sec.
55gr HP Deeper penetration makes the 55gr a good light game bullet as well as a varmint bullet. Best with IMR-4350 type powders (AA-2700, H-414, and WW-760) in 22-250 & Swifts. Suggested maximum - 3600 ft/sec.

Is you colt a early model? When wad the last time they had 1/12 twist barrels out of the factory....I only ask as my dad didn't relize that the ar has come along way since he was in the army. I told him about my new match gun and he was like."1/8 twist doest that make the 55 gn bullet spin to fast for decent accuracy" he also says he first saw the ar in the airforce seems to think by his memory the bullets might have been even lighter.
ixsold my 223 boltgun to buy my first ar. Didn't reload at the time but it loved just about anything in the low 50gn bullet area. I'm pretty sure that was 1/12

According to the barrel markings it's a model 653 or a M16A1 or AR15 barrel 1974-1981 production. It has a Remsport receiver very low S/N

You can't go wrong with 'bulk' Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT w/cannelure. I load them over 25.0gr of A2230.

EC, Would suggest this same 55gr bullet with a 1:9" twist 16 inch chrome barrel ? Does the load data remain the same ? Because it has the cannelure does it mean that it has to be crimped ?

Thanks

My 1:12" barrel is much shorter than yours (14.5"), but it seems to like bullet weights in the range of 45-50 grains. It shoots 55 grainers just fine, but really performs well with lighter. The best group I have ever shot was with this rifle and 45gr Sierra hornets over Win 748.

EC, Would suggest this same 55gr bullet with a 1:9" twist 16 inch chrome barrel ? Does the load data remain the same ? Because it has the cannelure does it mean that it has to be crimped ?

They'll work great with that barrel. Same data. I don't crimp them.

Back
Top Bottom