• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

223 OAL issue

peterk123

NES Member
Need you advice. I'm setting up my dies for 223. The bullet is a 75gr hornady match. It's a long bullet.

If I seat this to 2.260 this is what things are looking like. Not sure I'm okay with this. My book has an 80gr hpbt that gets seated at 2.550. Also a 75gr that is 2.390.

What are you thoughts? See if the rifles (ar 15s) will take a longer OAL, or stick to the 2.260? Thx Pete

Edit. Set it at 3.350 and it's too long for the mag.

Next edit. Went with the 68 gr bthp match, which is quite a bit shorter.

20240114_132606.jpg 20240114_132625.jpg 20240114_132738.jpg

Last edited:
Those long bullets won't fit in an AR magazine if they're seated correctly. Single loading a semi automatic seems rather foolish. If you really want to use those long bullets, look at something like the Savage bolt guns. The magazine is much longer.

Those long bullets won't fit in an AR magazine if they're seated correctly. Single loading a semi automatic seems rather foolish. If you really want to use those long bullets, look at something like the Savage bolt guns. The magazine is much longer.
In any slow prone or offhand stage of a match, that's exactly what we do- hand feed. I use Berger 80's and must hand feed them. At 600 yards they are a much better option than 69's or even 77's.

@peterk123 - Are those ELD type 75's? Those definitely have to be loaded longer. I've had no issues loading Nosler 77 CC's at mag length but the VLD's / RLD's or whatever Nosler calls them have way too far of a 'jump' when loaded at mag length. 77's and definitely 69's have always been OK for me at mag length, so long as they are not the super aerodynamic long distance projectiles.

In any slow prone or offhand stage of a match, that's exactly what we do- hand feed. I use Berger 80's and must hand feed them. At 600 yards they are a much better option than 69's or even 77's.

@peterk123 - Are those ELD type 75's? Those definitely have to be loaded longer. I've had no issues loading Nosler 77 CC's at mag length but the VLD's / RLD's or whatever Nosler calls them have way too far of a 'jump' when loaded at mag length. 77's and definitely 69's have always been OK for me at mag length, so long as they are not the super aerodynamic long distance projectiles.
Yes they are. They are quite a bit longer than the 68gr. I may load some up for fun and hand feed them just to see what it does.

Thank you, that's helpful.
i also got initial decent results with 70gr nosler rdf, loaded a ladder of them but not yet got time to get out and test them.
in 6CM RDFs gave me very good results. 75gr hornady also grouped quite well, i loaded around 400 in 24.4gr varget. it grouped well, with no odd deviation as below.

1705280587045.png

I understand that long range competitors have to single load when longer bullets are used. I had the opportunity to speak with a Camp Perry shooter who was practicing at Harvard. He was drilling the x ring off hand at 200 yards. I get the impression that Peter is more interested in plinking and hunting.

Back
Top Bottom