.223 / 5.56m Ammo Thread - Knowledge needed

Patriot

NES Member
I haven't a clue about what the 'good' ammo is vs the not so good ammo in mil surplus nor do
I have a clue where the 'deals' on this stuff is and now, between my mini-14 and the AR down
the road apiece, I am predicting bankruptcy if I don't l'arn some tricks of the ammo trade, and
quick. I know you mil-surp ammo guys have all kind of preferences and people that you buy
from at the shows but it would be nice to have a thread on this stuff so us noobs won't go
broke by the end of the year, causing even more family strife. And it's not just mil-surp, I
suspect that there are other places and deals to be had that you might want to share (it
might increase the competition at your favorite ammo cache). Maybe we can get a group
buy on some of this stuff going?

DO NOT POST OUT OF STATE SUPPLIERS IN THIS THREAD!

So, anybody want to start off the conversation? [smile]

Last edited:
Good ammo... Black Hills and Federal Premium. You are probably looking at $.45-$.90/rd even with a group discount.

I've been stocking up on .223 from WM (Rem Green box 45grJHP's for varmints) & Dicks (Rem UMC yellow box for evil pumkin's)

Check yer pm box while your at it...[wink]

I make my own, and can duplicate M855 Ball, M193 Ball or M196 Tracer with what I have on hand.

This is the right Idea. But even reloader need brass. I picked up 500 rounds of PMC 55gr BT FMJ for .36 a round shipped 4 months ago. It is the most I have ever spent. I still have battle packs w/ $24.00 price tags on them. I payed $100.00 for 1100 rounds of Barnuel steel cased 4 years ago. All the Deals are gone. If you are not sitting on 5000 rounds I feel for you. Get a Wasr2! 5.45 is still running about $139.00 per 1050. I paid $249.00 for a Romanian double stack Wasr2, $108.00 for 1050 rounds of ammo less than a year ago. Extra mags were $6.95 each. I have yet to have any issues. jp

I just started reloading 223’s, so I’m a noob at the rifle ammo. So, I bought some resized, trimmed and deprimed once fired Lake City Brass. Loaded them up with 24.3g Winchester 748 powder with Sierra 69 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail bullets. The accuracy was beyond belief. Not cheap, but affordable if you shoot in any type of accuracy competitions.

I just started reloading 223’s, so I’m a noob at the rifle ammo. So, I bought some resized, trimmed and deprimed once fired Lake City Brass. Loaded them up with 24.3g Winchester 748 powder with Sierra 69 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail bullets. The accuracy was beyond belief. Not cheap, but affordable if you shoot in any type of accuracy competitions.

I take it that was out of an AR - what was the barrel length and twist if you don't mind me asking?

2r7mwau.jpg

This is the right Idea. But even reloader need brass. I picked up 500 rounds of PMC 55gr BT FMJ for .36 a round shipped 4 months ago. It is the most I have ever spent. I still have battle packs w/ $24.00 price tags on them. I payed $100.00 for 1100 rounds of Barnuel steel cased 4 years ago. All the Deals are gone. If you are not sitting on 5000 rounds I feel for you. Get a Wasr2! 5.45 is still running about $139.00 per 1050. I paid $249.00 for a Romanian double stack Wasr2, $108.00 for 1050 rounds of ammo less than a year ago. Extra mags were $6.95 each. I have yet to have any issues. jp

Right you are! I stocked up on south african .223 when it was 199.00 per case of 2700 rds (the brown tubs hold 9 sealed battle packs of 300 ea) caught alot of abuse from my friends for 'wasting my money'.
The sad truth is that there is no 'cheap' .223 around anymore. I would buy smaller quantities of quality reloadable .223 and invest in a Dillon press; thats about the cheapest way I know.

Back
Top Bottom