.223 rem dies?

wiskie762

Instructor
what brand of dies do you use for .223 rem and why. getting ready to get back into loading .223, so many dies to choose from(this will be primarily for an ar but not limited.)

looking at dillon and hornady. don't want lee cause the last time i had them they were awful. so what do you use(or recommend).

Thanks.

I have a bunch.

RCBS: Neck die
RCBS: Full Length & regular seater
Forster: Micrometer Seater
Redding: Full Length & Micrometer Seater
Redding: Full Length Bushing die
Redding: Small base Body die.

All of the sizing dies except the body die and bushing die, over work the neck IMO. For my purposes, the Forster micrometer die is better than the Redding IMO. I have no experience with Dillon or Hornady dies (except a crimp die) but the match grade FL dies look nice.

No matter what you get, I think a carbide expander button is a good idea.

B

I have the Hornady new demensions die set, Im a beginer and have nothing to compare to BUT I have had 0 issues with the dies. hornady has also backed my mess up by trying extract a stuck case(my fault) with the decaper! they sent a replacement anyway....free. I ordered a few things while I had them on the phone also.

For your basic dies, stick with RCBS or Redding. I use a RCBS sizer and a Forster Micrometer seater (just because it's easier to dial in my two seating depths).

LEE stuff is good enough for pistol ammo, but I'll never use one again for rifle.

Dillon dies for my Dillon 550 that I load my plinking ammo and 200 & 300 yard ammo for highpower shooting. Have loaded a lot of ammo with them and would buy them again. I use Forster Bonanza dies for my more critical loading, 600 yards plus. I would also buy them again.

I had a LEE set for 6.5x55. No matter what I did, I could never get cases sized right. I think it was bad from the factory. Bought a RCBS set and had no problems.
I know others who have had trouble with LEE rifle dies also.

I used to load a ton of .38 Special with LEE carbide dies and they worked well.

last time i was set up in .223 i used a combanation of dies. got the best results when i had the dillon trimmer and size die. i have used lee and hornady. lee sucked and the hornady were good but i think the dillon size/trim die helped.

my issue now is cost. i may save and get the dillon.

No need to get anything fancy for .223. I have a Lee set plus FCD and my loads work out fine in my Sig. However, when I pick up a bolt action in .308, 7mm rem mag, etc... I will likely go to a more "prestigious" die

I've had great luck with New Dimension Hornady dies. Also have lee as backup that I got for nothing. Haven't tried Dillon or any of the Forster etc.

I use the Dillon dies in my 650.The rifle dies that I have are either Dillon,RCBS or Redding and are the standard sets no small base dies. And as someone mention in an earlier post get a carbide expander ball for yout dies. Redding has them for their dies,Hornandy makes them for RCBS and IIRC Dillon dies have one included.

Back
Top Bottom