• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22LR Ammo

Was thinking that it would be nice to have a thread with input from others about what kind of ammo they have tried and what they thing....try and take some of the guess work out of it.

so far i have tried (with my CZ 452)

Winchester White Box .22 - cheap. inconsistent

Federal Copper Plated - cheap. accurate

CCI Blazer - pretty accurate. not too cheap. comes in boxes of 50, which is annoying

I have had great luck with all the CCI stuff I've tried. The CCI standard velocity seems to shoot really well for me. My favorite bulk ammo is Federal automatch and CCI blazer. I have also had great luck with Aguila Standard Velocity. I usually stick to 40g bullets they seem to be slightly more accurate than the lighter ones.

I'm going to assume that a CZ 452 is a rifle. In my experience i have found that Winchester Power Points, although supersonic and leave behind a sharp crack when launched, dollar for dollar are among the most consistent and accurate, paper punching or varmint killing bulk ammo out there. On the other hand, most .22 pistols/ revolvers i have fired have had a fondness towards subsonic 'target' ammo. Hope that helps!

Remington Thunderbolts suck. I've observed a fair number of duds and had several barrels get leaded up badly.

Fed 550 round bulk pack has performed very well for me.

CCI stingers do very well on squirrels and other small game.

i picked up a couple hundred CCI minimags to try out, i have heard good things

walmart in leominster had about 5 or 6k of the winchester xpert HV, but i only bought 500 since i wasnt familiar with it

Ditto...

I agree. T-bolts suck and the 550 round Federal bulk pack are absolutely the best ban for your buck (in a rifle).

Remington Thunderbolts suck. I've observed a fair number of duds and had several barrels get leaded up badly.

Fed 550 round bulk pack has performed very well for me.

CCI stingers do very well on squirrels and other small game.

I've always had no problems with Federal bulk packs and CCI Mini mags in both my bolt action rifle and ruger MKIII.

The brands in which I regularly have problems in the MKIII and do not use are Thunderbolts, golden bullets, federal champion, and pmc zapper.

My favorites:

CCI Standard Velocity : works well in everything and very accurate.
CCI Mini-Mag: works well in everything and semi accurate.
Winchester XpertHV: Works well in everything and semi accurate.
Federal Bulk Pack: Works well in everything and ok accuracy.
Federal AutoMatch: Finicky in some rifles but very accurate in those that will cycle it.
Winchester T22: Finicky in some rifles and semi accurate in those that will cycle it.
Remington Bulk pack.... Crap Crap Crap crap crap.... Just plain crap.

This info comes from shooting them in a Marlin Model 60, Ruger 10/22, Remington 597, T/C Silver Lynx and a Browning Buckmark pistol.

In general, Wolf centerfire ammo sucks, BUT...their rimfire ammo is some of the best.

Wolf Match Target and Match Extra is some of the most accurate stuff out there. Out of my Anschutz 1413, the Wolf is equal to Eley and Lapua.

I have had great luck with all the CCI stuff I've tried. The CCI standard velocity seems to shoot really well for me. My favorite bulk ammo is Federal automatch and CCI blazer. I have also had great luck with Aguila Standard Velocity. I usually stick to 40g bullets they seem to be slightly more accurate than the lighter ones.

Pretty much mirrors my experience as well. I have been able to find the CCI Blazers by the brick also. Federal Bulk is good and the Federal Target, in the blue boxes is good also. I tried the Remington target in the green package but they sucked.

I've been using the .22LR sold by CMP, which is Aguila SV, in my Walther GSP in bullseye competition for the last couple of years. It functions flawlessly and equals the accuracy of the much-more-expensive CCI SV that I used to use. My wife also shoots it in her Walther KSP200 and also has had no problems. Currently it's running $209 per case (of 5,000), delivered.

I found Xpert ammo to be junk. Winchester Wildcats are always good, Aguila Subsonics and Hyper velocity are real good, CCI Subsonic, Stingers are tops.

Federal bulk runs great in everything I've tried it in and is reasonably accurate. Automatch didn't group worth a darn in my 10/22.

Has anyone tried the CMP Aguila in a rifle? I'm thinking about picking some up if I start shooting bullseye. It'd be nice if I could use it for Appleseed also if I get better than the accuracy of the Federal.

Has anyone tried the CMP Aguila in a rifle? I'm thinking about picking some up if I start shooting bullseye. It'd be nice if I could use it for Appleseed also if I get better than the accuracy of the Federal.

I haven't yet, although it's been on my To Do list for some time. I'm hoping to test it out before April 18/19th.

The Xpery HV is pretty good stuff, ive gone through a couple bulk packs of it, i prefer the red box federal stuff from wally world though

Have you tried the new Winchester XpertHV? They come in a silver box instead of a white box.

No, my only experience is with the Xpert White box stuff. It's awful in every .22 I have. I'd give it away but I don't wish that stuff on anyone.

Federal bulk packs. cycles well through everything I own and more accurate then I am. I don't shoot over 50 yards with my 22/s so I can't comment on long range stuff I just never use the 22 for long distance stuff myself.

Can someone explain the differences in CCI ammo? Hypervelocity, mini-mags, stingers...?

CCI Mini-Mag HV -------- 1235fps --- 40grn --- copper plated round nose.
CCI Standard Velocity --- 1070fps --- 40grn --- Lead Round Nose.
CCI Velocitors ----------- 1435fps --- 40grn --- Copper Plated Hollow Point
CCI Stingers ------------ 1640fps --- 32grn ---Copper Plated Hollow Point.
CCI Mini-Mag HP -------- 1260fps --- 36grn --- Copper Plated Hollow Point.

Different bullet weights and muzzle velocities. They are meant for different purposes.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

Stingers are the only ones to be careful with. Some rifle manufactures do not recommend firing them in their rifles.

CCI (imho) makes very consistent ammunition. It always feeds. It always goes bang.

This out of a 10/22 with a Green Mountain 20" bull barrel, upgraded extractor, and Mueller APV scope at 50 yards off a bipod:

Federal blue box - most accurate, feeds well, a few failures to extract. Will put 5 rounds under a dime at 50 yards. Easily. It is more than likely more accurate than I am.
Winchester Target - VERY close behind the blue box in terms of accuracy, no failures of any kind
CCI Hypervelocity - Wont group well at all at 50 yards - Couldn't get 5 rounds under a quarter. No failures of any kind.
Rem bulk pack - Blew the extractor out of the gun when it didn't seat fully in the chamber, blowing out the side of the casing. [angry] Can't attest to accuracy because I refuse to use it in the nice gun. [wink]
Winchester XPert - Wouldn't seat in the match chamber of the barrel. No further data - Didn't want to replace the extractor again.

I still would like to try the CMP Aguila stuff (I've had good luck with their ammo in the past, but have never tried it in this gun) as well as some standard CCI.

Here's my comments on ammo that I have used at least a few hundred worth of in my Ruger Mark III. I found the federal brick packs to be the best bang for the buck.

Federal/American Eagle bricks - maybe 2-3 bad primers per brick
CCI Blazer bricks - maybe 2-3 bad primers per brick
CIC mini-mags - zero issues so far
Remington 550 bulk pack - Around 5% FTF or had bad primers, junk
Winchester Super X - Same as crappy Remington but closer to 2%

In general, Wolf centerfire ammo sucks, BUT...their rimfire ammo is some of the best.

Wolf Match Target and Match Extra is some of the most accurate stuff out there. Out of my Anschutz 1413, the Wolf is equal to Eley and Lapua.

I agree. Wolf performs best in my cheap 10/22 build. With just a Butler Creek barrel, Choate dragunov style stock, and Mueller APV scope, I can put 10 shots in a small ragged 1/2" hole at 50 yards using Match Extra.

Its very hard to find though and pricey, but I stock up on it when I see it.

Back
Top Bottom