.22LR Handguns

Boghog1

NES Member
I would like a .22LR handgun for my collection, I have owned a Ruger Mark II target in the past but would like some input, I have toyed with the idea of a Single Six with the interchangeable cylinder for 22WM, and a 22/45 with threaded barrel as well as a conversion kit for Glocks or even that Glock clone in 22 but not certain which what to go. any personal experiences things I should consider when deciding?

Colt Woodsman:

marilyn-1948-edit.jpg

Colt Officer Model Revolver in 22lr is also very good.

10816403_4.jpg

Bad trigger discipline, Marilyn! Well you're long gone so we'll give you a pass.

Boghog, what will you mostly be doing with your new .22 pistol? Target practice? Get another Ruger MK series gun. Can't go wrong.
Plan on using it for random plinking in the woods or on fishing trips? I'd go with something smaller and lighter. I have a Browning 1911-22 that I love to shoot. It's light, (I mean really light), accurate, reliable, and it's a perfectly scaled down version of a 1911A1. Being that you're in NH, you should have no trouble getting one. I also have a Beretta model 87 that's an excellent little gun, a little heavier than the 1911-22 but just as accurate and dependable. Those are hard to find nowadays though.

I have two Ruger Single Sixes , 22/22Mag one in stainless and one blued. Could not be happier, fun accurate and formally cheap to shoot.

Colt Woodsman, S&W model 41 or a 422 for plinking, S&W 617, Ruger MK II target, Colt new Model Frontier, I've owned all of these at one time or another and all were reliable though some fit my hand better and so I shot a bit better, but all were more accurate than I was.

Glock 22 slides are fairly pricey at around $400 if you can find one and feeding is not great.

I got one, not sure about the company, it's the one that's not backed up 'til September. It has extraction issues, looks like a**h***s never fired it before they shipped it. I just need to mod extractor to make it work, but for a BN slide that sucks.

Otherwise Glock 22 slides are great since you can use the same gun and just swap out the slide at the range for whatever caliber you are shooting.

I would like a .22LR handgun for my collection, I have owned a Ruger Mark II target in the past but would like some input, I have toyed with the idea of a Single Six with the interchangeable cylinder for 22WM, and a 22/45 with threaded barrel as well as a conversion kit
I have a Single Six with the WMR cylinder and the newer 2245 Lite. The Single Six is a hassle to load and unload compared to a break-barrel pistol, so I don't use it as much as my other 22s.

Conversion kits are great, especially if you have a spare frame and can just leave one gun 'converted' for practice (rather than switching back and forth). Sig has 22lr threaded barrels available for 220/226/229 models.

I picked up this Model 18-4 (1980) S&W a couple of years ago. It's a 4" model of the K22. If I rest it, I can shoot nickle sized groups with it at 50'. Of course, I never rest it so it only shoots as good as me, too bad.
2w2qzr5.jpg

MKIII, 22/45, Single-Six (or Single-Ten) are all good-to-go. Like Kevin_NH said, the Single-Six is slow to load/clear but that's part of the charm for me.

I've shot a ISSC (Glock clone) and am not a fan. It took some work to get it running and I'm not convinced it's 100%. Not like my Rugers which are all tip top.

Ruger SR22 if you want a semiauto. Grip is small (and interchangeable backstraps), it shoots most anything, and the threaded variant is the same price as the non-threaded at Shooters Outpost.

I'm not a revolver guy so I'll defer to the above posters on 22lr revolvers.

I have a MKII bull bbl and I also have a Single Six w/ 22 mag conversion cylinder. It's a lot of fun to shoot and it's good to have for new shooters. Definitely recommend the SS.

Ruger SR22 if you want a semiauto. Grip is small (and interchangeable backstraps), it shoots most anything, and the threaded variant is the same price as the non-threaded at Shooters Outpost.

I'm not a revolver guy so I'll defer to the above posters on 22lr revolvers.

+1 to the SR22. It's a GREAT pistol. I trained on a Ruger Mark II semi-auto, it is nice but it's a b**** to take down and clean, so I have heard. Or is it the Mk III? Or both?

Likewise, I cannot comment on revolvers. My only one is a .36 and it is a BP gun, so it's not in the same 'range' as to what you're asking. But I love my SR22. Great pistol. I adapted to the smaller grip just fine. Actually, it came with the longer grip attached and optional 'finger-grip' extensions for the mags, which I don't use.

Colt Woodsman, S&W model 41 or a 422 for plinking,

Got one of each, plus a model 63 and a 622VR, they're all fun to shoot.
For the OP, don't overlook the H&R top-breaks either.
They can normally be had for less money than any of the others already mentioned.
I have a single action Sportsman 199 and its double action brother the Sportsman 999.

8975H_R_999.jpg

Another vote for the SR22. Probably my favorite gun I own. Don't have much experience with .22 revolvers- I think the only one I've shot was my buddy's Ruger Single Six. Cool gun but we always had trouble with the accuracy, even at close range.

S&W M+P 22 is what I use, if you carry a pistol from the M+P line, the .22 has the same form factor and control are in the same place. It has eaten every brand of ammo I've given it, without a problem. Easy to take down for cleaning, which is nice.

Got one of each, plus a model 63 and a 622VR, they're all fun to shoot.
For the OP, don't overlook the H&R top-breaks either.
They can normally be had for less money than any of the others already mentioned.
I have a single action Sportsman 199 and its double action brother the Sportsman 999.
8975H_R_999.jpg
I've seen a few of those H&R top breaks and was always skeptical, but mostly because I haven't heard much about them one way or the other. In the condition shown, what is the price range? $200? How smooth are they? I'm not looking for the feel of a worked over S&W, but I obviously don't want a hunk of crap either.

S&W M+P 22 is what I use, if you carry a pistol from the M+P line, the .22 has the same form factor and control are in the same place. It has eaten every brand of ammo I've given it, without a problem. Easy to take down for cleaning, which is nice.

...now I just wish the M+P 22 would be included in the MA AG's 'approved' list. I been eyeballing it as a trainer for my SR9c carrry gun rather than the SR22 given the thumb safety direction.

I've got a Ruger Mark III, Ruger SR22, Ruger Bisley .22LR, and S&W 351PD .22 WMR all at hand. The Mark III w/red dot is very accurate, and the SR22 is a great shooter, but dealing with their mags is almost as tedious as reloading the SA Bisley. The 351PD is fun to shoot on occasion, but I enjoy shooting the Bisley the most.

They're all great plinkers, but I'm wanting for a larger .22 WMR revolver now. Something with a bit more useful range, and DA. The hunt is on for a S&W 651.

Also in the market for a .22. I read the above reviews regarding the SR22, so I went to youtube for a Hicock45 video - sure enough I found one.

What's up with the multiple failure to feed issues? Bad magazines?

Ruger SR22 - YouTube

My vote is for the Ruger MKII because it never fails me and I like the "retro Luger" style. The heavy barrel version with a red dot is all you will ever need if you decide to get into competition. The Ruger Single Six is fun and makes you slow down and focus more on each shot too. Important these days when ammo is so precious.

Back
Top Bottom