.22LR HV

guys what other high velocity .22 is out there? currently using winchester wildcat...cci mini mags seem to be out of stock in most places...what about maxi mags? stingers?

Remington Golden Bullets and a Federal equivalent - both at Wal Mart.

Thunderbolt "may" cause problems. Advantage Arms advised AGAINST them for their .22LR conversion kits. I found out why in spades a short while ago, after accidentally shooting 50 of them in an AA G17 kit. One .22LR brush jammed in the barrel, destroyed 3 brushes and 1 aluminum cleaning rod getting it out and cleaning all the lead out of the chamber/barrel.

I'm told that, while velocity is not expressly stated as either "standard" or "high," the bricks of Blazer .22 LR are, shall we say, "warmer" than standard velocity. My Rugers seem to run fine on it.

Aquila also makes HV ammo.

guys what other high velocity .22 is out there? currently using winchester wildcat...cci mini mags seem to be out of stock in most places...what about maxi mags? stingers?

i usually pick up mini-mags (standard and hi velocity) at Dicks or Walmart in Framingham...

i like them better than the lead nose stuff. the price is a huge factor but for me it's well worth it. the mini-mags feed more realibly for me too.

i use them in my P22, 10/22 and Mossberg 702...

**especially for the rifles.. the lead stuff sucks and is a bitch to clean...

the "standard velocity" stuff is harder to find and seems to be more expensive around here metrow west / north shore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxi mag is WMR. Midway carry's Aguila Hyper velocity 33gr .22lr. Stingers are outstanding! I hate the $, but the best around. Midway also carries Wildcats, I ran out over a year ago, but just got a brick w/ my Birthday priced order. If you come up 93 at all PM me. jp

Len, not sure what gun he is using, but if it's a Walther P22, thunderbolt -will- cause problems... [laugh] Don't ask me how I know this... I don't think I've ever seen a 22 barrel get more gummed up in my life than when I ran a few boxes of it through a friend's P22.

Rem golden bullet is about the only bulk HV I buy. It's dirty as hell but usually it works well enough. This is un-scientific, but I think the gun-shop boxes of golden bullet
are better than the wal mart ones. I think the wal mart ones get abused more in transit or something. The wal mart boxes seem to have more duds and more inconsitent
charges than the gun store flat pack ones do.

-Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

I wish that I didn't have a ton of Thunderbolt here!!

Maybe the 10/22 can digest that stuff without leading up? I can hope.

I find that most 22's will detonate when a second attempt is made, as long as you rotate the location of the primer hit. This tends to point to primer material not being evenly spread out when they spin the cases. I've had this happen with almost all brands at one time or another.

Mike,

I find that most 22's will detonate when a second attempt is made, as long as you rotate the location of the primer hit. This tends to point to primer material not being evenly spread out when they spin the cases. I've had this happen with almost all brands at one time or another.

With the wally world Remington's I find about 3-5 per 100 that mis fire the first time. Of those less than half will fire at all even after rotating the cases. The several I've taken apart show little if any primer material around the rim. Some show remnants mixed in with the powder as though they fell away from the rim. That's out of about 4-5 boxes in the past 6 months.

EC1,

Sounds like Quality Control has seriously gone to hell.

You should contact Remington and complain (as should others if it is more than a rare occasion). Perhaps they can "clean up their act" so that we all get good product?

I can remember buying Thunderbolts back in the late 70s,early 80s and they garbage then and seem to have gone down hill from there. I bought a case of Russian made sv 22 from J&G years ago shoots the nuts but the lube they used looks and smells like cosmoline. I'm pretty much Wally world 22s now I got at least a case and a half left to shoot up.

I shoot brick after brick of the Federal bulk from walmart with very few issues. Maybe one or two FTFs per brick that go on a second hit. My 10/22 stovepipes from time to time, but the mark3 never misses a beat.

i dont know if it applies to ammo but most things that walmart buys are made to order for just their stores. clothes are a bit thinner...cheaper than other stores.... it applies to most of their products. but as i said i dont know about ammo.

After a good break-in period, my SIG Mosquito .22LR runs well on Federal Bulk Pack and Winchester Wildcats. I had fair results with the Remington Golden Bullets, more light strikes that would fire on the second hit, more duds and some stovepipes that I wouldn't see with the other two.

The secret of breaking the CCI Mini Mag habit is to lightly lubricate the rounds before use (from the Mosquito manual). Lay 100 rounds on a silicone gun cloth, give a light spritz of silicone spray, then roll the cartridges between the cloth. Store them in leftover MiniMag cases to keep them clean and for easy access. It takes 20 minutes to prep 400 rounds of .22LR for a session at the range. At ~$14 per 550 rounds at Wally World, it is economical practice. [grin]

CZ-452 Trainer and the 10/22 both get fed the Aquila 40 gr. HV roundnose. The CZ shoots both the Aquila and the CCI Mini-mags equally well so I keep a supply of both handy. THe Mk.1 gets fed the same thing.

Joe R.

My Mk. II has a little issue feeding the Aguila Standard Velocity (I suspect the bullets are a tad larger and/or have a thicker coating of lube on them), but the accuracy is worth it.

I have a new Ruger MK3 and it states that high-velocity ammo is ok to shoot. What about hyper velocity? I've seen hyper velocity 22 and was interested in it but i didnt want to wreck my gun by shooting ammo it wasn't designed for.

Mike,

Hi Len:
If you want to get rid of some of those Thunderbolts, let me know. For some reason, don't ask me why, my Ciender coversion kit for my M16 absolutely loves Thunderbolts. I can see you tomorrow at the GOAL table if you want.
J

Hi Len:
If you want to get rid of some of those Thunderbolts, let me know. For some reason, don't ask me why, my Ciender coversion kit for my M16 absolutely loves Thunderbolts. I can see you tomorrow at the GOAL table if you want.
J

Ouch, bad timing. I sorta promised them to Depicts, he has a gun that eats them up too, so I owe him the right of first refusal.

I've been out all day and just got to NES now. We have to be out real early to get to the show to man the GOAL table before they open, so I won't be checking back here again until after the show, sometime tomorrow evening.

My Hi-Standard Model B pistol loves CCI MiniMags, and jams if I feed it anything that isn't copper coated. My JC Higgins rifle (same as Marlin Model 80) shoots fine with Blazer bulk packs. I tried Winchester bulkpacks from walmart, and had many dud rounds. I won't buy that stuff anymore. It was noticeably less accurate than the Blazer.

Ouch, bad timing. I sorta promised them to Depicts, he has a gun that eats them up too, so I owe him the right of first refusal.

I've been out all day and just got to NES now. We have to be out real early to get to the show to man the GOAL table before they open, so I won't be checking back here again until after the show, sometime tomorrow evening.

That's OK. If the deal falls through, let me know. How did you make out at the show? We did fine.

I was personally very disappointed with the turn-out wrt the GOAL table. We took in less than 1/2 what I've done before for a day, only 6 people signed up for GOAL. We had a good location, but there just wasn't enough "traffic" in the show.

I did have TWO felons (back to back, no less) burn my ears about "needing to get their LTC back"! All that I could really do was tell them to get a lawyer involved and pray a lot.

Which company were you with?

I did have TWO felons (back to back, no less) burn my ears about "needing to get their LTC back"! All that I could really do was tell them to get a lawyer involved and pray a lot.

Meaning both were a complete waste of your time, attention and patience. Welcome to my world! [wink]

Meaning both were a complete waste of your time, attention and patience. Welcome to my world! [wink]

Mostly yup!

The first one at least sounded semi-reasonable, even if not realistic. He said that he had done the crime and the time and was looking to get a lawyer to help him get a Governor's Pardon. I probably shouldn't have told him that his chance of getting a pardon from Cadillac Devil was probably zero unless he was a murderer or sex-offender . . . but I did say that and didn't make his day. [thinking] I did give him 3 GOAL affiliated attorneys names . . . yours was one of them. [smile] [You can thank me later, if he calls you. [rofl] ]

The second one looked like a disheveled street person and kept insisting that GOAL should get him back his LTC since he was a member of GOAL. No way that I could convince him that all that GOAL could do for him was refer him to some attorneys. He refused my offer of giving him the names of the three of you and just insisted that GOAL contact him to get his LTC back for him.

Meanwhile JonJ was standing next to the table, sorting thru AR mags and with a shit-eating grin from ear to ear as he heard what I was dealing with at the GOAL table!! Thanks Buddy! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom