.22LR options

kalash

NES Member
I'm a new shooter, having had my license for about four months. The only handgun I currently have is a 6" GP100. It's a ton of fun but not the easiest to learn on it seems. Thus, I'd like to get a .22 as a target gun. Although I don't like the looks, I do like how the Ruger Mk3 shoots and all reviews seem to praise it. Problem is, they are difficult to find. I have yet to see one at a store or in the classifieds in a few weeks. Do you think I should hold out for one or look for something else? I've been reading about Walthers, other Rugers, etc but I'm sure there are options that I've missed. I'm looking for something accurate, not too fussy about ammo, reliable, and inexpensive (<$400). What about the option of buying a Mk3 online through an FFL? Thanks.

If you want an entry-level .22 target gun without spending thousands, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a MkIII (or I or II,) a S&W model 22A, or a S&W 617 if you like revolvers.

The next step up from that is mega expensive ($1000 and up) purpose-build target guns for serious competitors.

All of the "tactical" style .22 guns (Mosquito, SR22, Walther P22, etc.) are finicky and not super accurate.

Another vote for the MKIII, and don't be turned off by all the talk of how difficult they are to work on. At first it'll drive you insane trying to figure out how it disassembles/ reassembles, but once you know it inside and out, it's not difficult. I believe there was talk about starting a support group for MKIII owners. [laugh]

I would hold out for a MK III. If you're not up for waiting, Bobs in Salisbury has a used S&W 22a for pretty cheap, they're normally pretty reliable guns.

The sig, walthers, and SR22 can be finicky with ammo. My SR will get a FTE every magazine if I use the cheap bulk ammo, but is great with anything else. My MK III will shoot anything I can find.

Another vote for the MKIII, and don't be turned off by all the talk of how difficult they are to work on. At first it'll drive you insane trying to figure out how it disassembles/ reassembles, but once you know it inside and out, it's not difficult. I believe there was talk about starting a support group for MKIII owners. [laugh]

You can't go wrong with a MKIII, great guns. As for field stripping, I almost lost my mind the first couple of times and had to have you tube instrucitonal videos playing while I was doing it. BUT, I installed a majestic arms speed strip kit (like $50) and it comes apart with one allen screw. Then again, if you like revolvers, the S&W 617 is awesome too.

The Smith and Wesson 22's have some nice features, like the 22A you can get with a 7" barrel, which makes target shooting
a little more fun with the longer sight radius. The Smith and Wessons also have the no-questions-asked warranty support from Smith and Wesson; if anything goes wrong, even if you bought the gun used with no paperwork, they will fix it. That includes any problems with finicky feeding.

I must have gotten a good one. Going on 3k rounds. No issues but yes I want a mk series ruger.

Me too. I love my SR22. The only time I have reliability issues is when I don't make sure that the rounds are all the way to the back of the mag - though I hear this is common amongst many .22's. Other than that, tons of fun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ruger MK family all great. Browning Buckmark. Or even a S&W 617 revolver. Better to hold out for a good one then to buy a not so good one.

That said those are the ones I recommend but this does not in any way mean they are good for you. New shooters should try every firearm you can get you're mitts on. At ranges rental places or whatever. Try try try. Then keep you're mind open and listen to recommendations but make sure you choose what fits YOU and you like the best. Remember you are buying it for you not for anyone else.

Good luck and enjoy..

Does anyone have one of those longer barreled SP101 .22 revolvers, the ones with the fiber front sight?

I don't know how accurate they are, but the heft was quite pleasant and while not exactly a GP100, it has a somewhat similar feel to it overall, just smaller.

Does anyone have one of those longer barreled SP101 .22 revolvers, the ones with the fiber front sight?

I don't know how accurate they are, but the heft was quite pleasant and while not exactly a GP100, it has a somewhat similar feel to it overall, just smaller.

One of these? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371266957.235222.jpg

Love it.

Much more accurate than my:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371266991.849581.jpg

I would hold out for a MK III. If you're not up for waiting, Bobs in Salisbury has a used S&W 22a for pretty cheap, they're normally pretty reliable guns.

ive got a s&w 22a great shooter I would jump on the bobs gun today before I buy that one also

I once asked one of the better bullseye shooters at my club about tearing down my MKIII, "is it broken or something?" He then told me put a thousand rounds through it then come see me. Follow the instructions and its fine. Can be very snug at 1st.
hold out or look for a older SW model 41.

This.

Also, there is a company that makes a kit that makes the MK series guns very easy to break down.

Finally, if you get a MK 3, you MUST remove the mag safety. It requires the purchase of a $12 bushing. The fix also makes it so the mags drop free and slightly improves the trigger.

Don

Sent from Samsung Note 2

Thanks all. Looks like I'll keep searching for a Mk.

New shooters should try every firearm you can get you're mitts on. At ranges rental places or whatever. Try try try. Then keep you're mind open and listen to recommendations but make sure you choose what fits YOU and you like the best. Remember you are buying it for you not for anyone else.
I've shot the Mk series pistols twice and liked both of them.

looking at ruger wedsite the markIII IS NOT MA compliant wonder why same for the 22/45
22/45 is compliant, I just checked yesterday. I think Mk3 is too, no?

Finally, if you get a MK 3, you MUST remove the mag safety. It requires the purchase of a $12 bushing. The fix also makes it so the mags drop free and slightly improves the trigger.

Absolutely. I threw the Volquartsen trigger and sear in my 22/45 at the same time I did the bushing and the trigger pull is so light I don't think I leave a fingerprint on it. Now I have to catch the MKIII up.

Hint hint, there's a 22/45 for sale in the classifieds right now. I have a bunch of .22s and that's my current favorite.

On second thought, it's just the one I shot most recently. [grin]

Compliance. Ha. I just figured out that my Ruger 22/45 race gun is now an Assault Weapon in CT. Thats right. A 10 round .22 LR pistol is an assault weapon because it has a threaded barrel. F&%king idiots.

I will, of course, register it or permanently affix a 6" spiked flash hider to it.

Don

Back
Top Bottom