.22lr suggestions

So, I was supposed to apply for my license about 8 months ago but....Life happened. Finally applying for it this week and I want to get a .22lr rifle. I'm debating between the GSG-522, M&P 15-22, and Sig 522. The search function wouldn't work for me when I was trying to search...

I'd love to hear some feedback from the owners of these rifles. Hell, if someone has one of these and wouldn't mind letting me shoot, I'll buy the ammo then after buy some beers :)

I have experience with the GSG..... a perfectly good waste of $400+ in my mind. Im not a big fan of things looking "tactical" that aren't. I have spent time with a M&P 15-22 and it was ok, lots of plastic. Personally for the $400-$500 your gonna spend on anyone of those ( Im not sure on the price of the sig ) I would rather buy a ruger 10/22 and a .22lr pistol. If you buy right you can have both for the same price. But thats just me. ( 10/22 and a Sig mosquito at four seasons is aprox $470+ tax )

Last edited:
Of the 3 listed I only have a 15-22, I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you're planning to get an AR-15 it serves as a great (cheap) trainer.

I also have a stock Marlin 60 and a 10/22 that I slicked up a bit, both classics of the .22lr world so don't count them out if you haven't checked 'em out yet.

Hi Loki, I have an M&P 15 22. I think its a great rifle for target shooting. I have a lot of fun with it. I live in Hanover, and shoot at the Marshfield range. If you are within 20 miles, shoot me a PM, and maybe we can hook up. That pretty much goes for any NES member here too.

Of the 3 listed I only have a 15-22, I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you're planning to get an AR-15 it serves as a great (cheap) trainer.

I also have a stock Marlin 60 and a 10/22 that I slicked up a bit, both classics of the .22lr world so don't count them out if you haven't checked 'em out yet.

I haven't ruled out the 10/22. However, I was thinking the same thing on the M&P as my next gun after that will be an AR-15

Hi Loki, I have an M&P 15 22. I think its a great rifle for target shooting. I have a lot of fun with it. I live in Hanover, and shoot at the Marshfield range. If you are within 20 miles, shoot me a PM, and maybe we can hook up. That pretty much goes for any NES member here too.

Sounds good. Thanks :)

I have experience with the GSG..... a perfectly good waste of $400+ in my mind. Im not a big fan of things looking "tactical" that aren't. I have spent time with a M&P 15-22 and it was ok, lots of plastic. Personally for the $400-$500 your gonna spend on anyone of those ( Im not sure on the price of the sig ) I would rather buy a ruger 10/22 and a .22lr pistol. If you buy right you can have both for the same price. But thats just me. ( 10/22 and a Sig mosquito at four seasons is aprox $470+ tax )

^^This

I tried the M&P 15-22 and then the 10/22. I decided that the fancy tactical stock wasn't worth an additional 250.00 so I went with the 10/22. I'm now in the process of picking up a .22lr handgun. I like the Mosquito because it feels closer to a typical semi auto than others. As mentioned above, I will be able to own both of them for just about the cost of the 15-22 alone. You can also upgrade and customize the 10/22 down the road if desired.

I have the gsg It's ok for what It does. It depends what your doing with it. The gsg is good under 25 yards. Its not a bench gun. It's fun for makeing cans dance. For the money go cmp kimber g82. Or go to guns shops for use bolt 22's. I just got a use Rom. 1969 m2 for $70.00 otd. I still like my 1022 It fun to shot. I was looking at the sw ones they are cool went with a 22 lr upper for my ar 15.

DRB is spot on with good advice. The 10 22 is the standard for .22lr rifle and it just happens to be very reasonably priced. Save the money for your AR project down the road.

as said it depends on your application. the 10/22 is probably the most customizable "plinking" .22 out there. dependable, fun and with more accesories available than you can imagine. if you are looking to augment your AR training the 15-22 is a great choice. i have one and love it. same control set up as an AR. fun, reliable and great for continuity of training platforms. IMO cant go worng with either piece of hardware, but you need to make it fit your application. have fun

If you're looking for a fairly inexpensive but very accurate, out of the box 22LR, take a look at the Savage bolt rifles. They are a little bit more than the 10-22 but not much. Stay away from their bottom of the line and get one with the heavy, varmint barrel and the laminated stock, like the Savage BV or BTV or BTVS.

Last edited:
SIG522

Since no one is siding with the SIG522, I recommend it, although Ruger 10/22 is a good choice also for upgradeable options and accuracy. have tried out the GSG-522 & M&P 15-22 wasn't impressed and decided on the SIG522 for Sig Sauer reputation, accuracy, testing and general training purposes(same weight of SIG556 classic/SWAT models in an inexpensive .22LR). Bought The SIG522 for $449 and came with a heavy target barrel for free. I'm not a student of Sig Sauer academy in Epping, NH but every time I go there, get the 20% student discount on everything bought. if your considering a .22LR pistol Ruger Mark I, II, III or 22/45 are fine choices for accuracy and reliability.

I have a number of .22's, and the last .22 rifle they pry from my dead hands will be my GSG-5. It's the most fun .22 I own, and the only gun I take to the range every time I go, no matter what else I'm shooting.

That said, for what you're describing, it's pretty hard to beat a 10/22. For around $200, you can set one up nicely, and you since they're pretty much a modular rifle, you can always change it around later. Then buy ammo and bang away.

As far as the surrogate AR trainer, I'd buy the AR first, and then the surrogate trainer, not the other way around.

Buy an AR in 5.56 then get a dedicated upper from Model 1 or Spike's. That's what I did,push out 2 pins remove one upper replace with the other. Granted a little pricey but worth it IMHO

I'm debating between the GSG-522, M&P 15-22, and Sig 522.

Of those three, I've seen the first two. I've also seen more than a few 15-22s on the line at Appleseed Shoots and they seem pretty reliable - certainly their owners like them a lot.

I'm planning on getting one myself.

Get a 10/22, even the carbine version is dead accurate right outta the box. If you want a tactical look you can buy a Tapco stock for it for another $80. Feeds any ammo I put through it, even works pretty reliably with the two crappy used ram-line hi capacity mags I bought at a flea market. Haven't had a single hiccup with the stock mag and I have put 600+ rounds of the cheap CCI ammo they have on sale at Four Seasons through it. I even fed the lord knows how old ammo that was in the ram-line mags when I bought them. Could have been 20 years old because the old timer I bought the mags from said he hadn't shot the 10/22 in quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom