• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 inch revolver for ccw?

My son had a the Taurus version of the S&W Model 18. The Taurus had a coil mainspring instead of the leaf spring like the Smith. Horrible trigger and the only method I read about to reduce the trigger weight was to cut down the spring. Which is a stupid way to do it as it tends to make the primer strike way too light.

Buy an older S&W, which won't be cheap. The newer guns, even the revolvers, have poor build quality and reliability issues. The brand new 351C that they sent me to replace a 351C that I sent in for repair was defective out of the box. I sent it back and they replaced the firing pin, firing pin spring, and "realigned" the yoke.

hands down the S+W mod 60 pro series. Real stainless revolver, not that scandium alloy crap, good trigger, profiled and lightened. Slim 5 shot J frame. Just don"t ever put a 357 bullet in it unless you are saving your life. Too light to run 357's unless you don't need to use your hand for the next 2 weeks. Real guns cost real money, probably the most expensive of the ones listed. If you don't mind the weight then an older 686/66 or 60 would be great also. Best bet go to a gun show where you can walk around and hold every one that everybody suggested all in one day. Good Luck

hands down the S+W mod 60 pro series. Real stainless revolver, not that scandium alloy crap, good trigger, profiled and lightened. Slim 5 shot J frame. Just don"t ever put a 357 bullet in it unless you are saving your life. Too light to run 357's unless you don't need to use your hand for the next 2 weeks. Real guns cost real money, probably the most expensive of the ones listed. If you don't mind the weight then an older 686/66 or 60 would be great also. Best bet go to a gun show where you can walk around and hold every one that everybody suggested all in one day. Good Luck
Well my sp101 can eat .357 all daylong without any problem, look like ruger build better gun than s&w.

Attachments

• 20220119_124033.jpg
    20220119_124033.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 18
I would like to ccw a revolver and really like the looks of the taurus 856 3 inch. However, seems like I can't get one in MA? What would you choose for a 3 inch carry?

You can get these in Mass. Bought a 5 shot .44 spl years ago from an ffl in Plymouth new.
They also make them in vanilla calibers and .45 acp.
Looks like they're on the list that everyone craps their pants over too.
Why spend $900 plus on something that will most likely get confiscated and never returned when for half that you can make bigger holes in meat.

Any sense in getting a .357 if all you're ever going to shoot is 38SP+P? Yeah yeah alpha males would pick the .357 but what if the target customer is not? Ruger makes a SP101 in 38 only. Same feel and weight as the .357 and easy no nonsense gun for any newbie to handle in self defense and home defense usage. Wouldn't it also be easier to clean the cylinder fouling?

Any sense in getting a .357 if all you're ever going to shoot is 38SP+P? Yeah yeah alpha males would pick the .357 but what if the target customer is not? Ruger makes a SP101 in 38 only. Same feel and weight as the .357 and easy no nonsense gun for any newbie to handle in self defense and home defense usage. Wouldn't it also be easier to clean the cylinder fouling?

I think they're the same guns with different length cylinder throats.

Only sense is in resale value. The gap to the cylinder throats might not hurt accuracy, but it doesn't help. Cylinder fouling will be easier to clean just because it's 38+P instead of magnums. I don't think there's any appreciable difference in cleaning effort when 38+P is exclusively shot out of both. Both will develop fouling in the charge hole in front of the cylinder throats. It will just be spread out a little more in the 357 charge hole.

B&K has a pair of early-production 38+P 2.5" SP101's. The fit and finish looks better than current production, and I think the hammer and trigger are forged rather than mim. I already have a late production 3" SP101 in 357 magnum. I have been tempted to buy one of them just because I'm going into withdrawal shopping for guns and finding so little available that interests me.

The Taurus revolver is fine. To quote Boris, "if it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it."
The gun in that movie was a S&W model 681, which I own. They are hard to find, and solid as hell. If I were going to carry any wheel gun I owned, (and I hate carrying wheel guns) that would be the one. It’s a stainless 4” .357. It’s indeed a heavy gun for a 4”.

That doesn’t sound right, they must make the SP101 in 357.

I dunno, I’d rather have 357 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Ruger made the SP101 in 357Mag and 327Fed as far as I can remember. The did the GP100 in 357Mag and 10mm, among other calibers.

Back
Top Bottom