• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 inch revolver for ccw?

Smith and Wesson K frame
Once you feel it in your hands
You’ll know S& W model 10

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The Taurus revolver is fine. To quote Boris, "if it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it."

I would like to ccw a revolver and really like the looks of the taurus 856 3 inch. However, seems like I can't get one in MA? What would you choose for a 3 inch carry?

If you're shooting for the 24-ish ounces of the 856, you'll be shut out from most of the 6-round options on the Massachusetts roster. I sometimes carry my 3" SP101, but mostly only if I'm taking it to the range that day. If that weight and bulk is OK, I might as well carry my M&P9c. I have an IWB kydex holster for a 4" S&W model 10, and I also have a Galco leather IWB holster that fits a 4" GP100 or S&W L-frame. So that's 4" instead of 3", but I tried those things and decided it was a bit much.

I love my 3” S & W 686+ but 40 ounces of iron on my hip is just too much to handle these days IWB for CC. I’d love to get my hands on a Kimber K6s 3” dasa revolver for CC at 25 ounces but those are like hens teeth in the PDRM! I love the fact that a revolver is almost foolproof from a reliability standpoint and would prefer one over a semi auto if I had my choice.

My first gun was a model S&W 66, I think it was a 2" barrel. Practiced plenty and was a good shot with it. Most self defence shooting are really close, great carry gun.

It took me five years to finally track down a Model 13 3". I had a Model 64 3", but sold it as soon as I grabbed the 13. I also have a Model 36-1 3". And that's even hard to find although I lucked into one here.

Find an old S&W Model 13 or 65 in 3” length. Good luck though.

Last edited:
The fact that you would even consider buying, never mind carrying, a taurus revolver completely prevents me from giving you a serious answer to your question.

Sorry.
At least he didn't ask about a Judge or the other thing they sell, the Public Defender, or something like that?

Just get a Ruger SP101 in 2.25 inch unless you can find a pre-lock S&W. Why do new S&W revolvers have to have the hillary hole but Ruger doesn't?

I would like to ccw a revolver and really like the looks of the taurus 856 3 inch. However, seems like I can't get one in MA? What would you choose for a 3 inch carry?
1. You can get anything you want in MA. Even revolvers.

2. Taurus revolvers have horrible triggers and very few, if any, companies sell any spring kits. There is very little after market support and I dont know any gunsmith specializing in Taurus. Their single action trigger pull is fine, but you have to be a special kind of idiot to screw that up.

3. No, I won't tell you who will transfer a revolver in MA, you have to meet people and find on your own.

4. If you find a comfortable revolver with a longer barrel, have a gunsmith cut the barrel or replace it. A new barrel should go for maybe $150-200, maybe less, and it will most likely be better than factory. I have seen some butcher jobs come out of SW, their crowns look like someone cut them with a steak knife.

Back
Top Bottom