30-30 for hunting?

LEVER GUN

I AM SURE ITS NOT A 95.and kentuk can have 100/150 yd shoots.I am in SC and can get them out of my front door got 4 in freezer.powerful to kill deer.
all the adds about magnums ect is nothing but sales talk.my friend got deer one shot with a savage mod 24 in 223 rem. (7) I believe.I have 30/30 and a 45 colt trapper.I use them and a 6.5 arisaka.
maybe what you need is a 50 cal browning.[rofl][laugh2][rolleyes][laugh]
the browning model 81 does not come in 30/30,so its got to be a win 94.

I'm also new to the hunting game. This coming fall will be my first outing for deer. (I shot duck exactly once, and having plucked and prepped 3 ducks I will never do it again).

I asked a bunch of people I've met about the best gun for New England and 30-30 was the overwhelming reply. In Maine, where I plan to hunt, the underbrush and trees are very thick. It's unlikely I'd run into a shot over 100 yards, certainly not more than 200 tops.

Since I reload, I'll be chronoing 30-30 to get a solid idea of the best deer load, but I would think plain old Nosler types would be more than adequate at anything but very long ranges, in which case you'd want something different anyway.

Experienced hunters please tell me if this is wrong, cause I'm only going by my knowledge of the terrain in Maine and advice of others.

I asked a bunch of people I've met about the best gun for New England and 30-30 was the overwhelming reply. In Maine, where I plan to hunt, the underbrush and trees are very thick. It's unlikely I'd run into a shot over 100 yards, certainly not more than 200 tops.

Since I reload, I'll be chronoing 30-30 to get a solid idea of the best deer load, but I would think plain old Nosler types would be more than adequate at anything but very long ranges, in which case you'd want something different anyway.

Depends on the area you are going to hunt. I know places where you can't see 20ft and others where there are 1000yd fields. Most woods hunting will be under 75 yds and that is where the 30-30 really shines.

As for bullets and reloading; you want soft-point bullets that will expand easily (also needed for safety in a tubular magazine). You mentioned Nosler, which I think of as a heavily constructed bullet meant to hold together for penetration. At 30-30 velocities, I don't think it will do the job it's meant to.

The Winchester model 94 in 3030 is an ideal hunting rifle for close quarters like heavy woods and small fields. It's most definitely an 100 yard or less rifle but, gosh, it's wonderful for what it does, is compact, light to carry and quick to acquire the target. I'm on a small metal gong at 100 yards with the rudimentary iron sites all day long. I wouldn't attempt a longer shot with it unless I was desperate.

Rome

good recommendation the only thing I would add is a winchester 94 pre 1964 is a lot nicer then a post 64, and not that much more money.

Back
Top Bottom