• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

30+ year old ammo. Maybe 40. ok to shoot?

Agnotology

NES Member
So as part of putting my collection of odds and ends back together from what I inherited from my father, I have a fair bit of old ammo. All stored more or less appropriately. Area it was in would stay around 50% humidity, but drop to near desert conditions during winter when the wood stove was running. Temp ranges would be 60 degrees to as high as 80 in the winter. Cuz wood stove.

I have a full box and a partial of 30-30 Winchester sold by Weir River Gun Shop for 5.95 a box. 170 Grain Core-Lokt HPs. No advertised FPS.

20 gauge remington "power Piston" shells, #4 and #6. I assume this is target load. 25 and 17 shells respectively.

1 box (5 shells) of Remington Express Rifled Slugs.... $1.75 from Weir River as well.

3 boxes totaling 14 shells of BRI Sabot Bullets - brass marked Fiochi. Marked $8.95 and $8.99 but without any store markings, believe them to be R&R

3 boxes totaling 15 rounds of Winchester Super X #3 buck (20 pellets) $3.49 a box from R&R Sports Shop in Belchertown

22 Mag CCI V-max poly tipped HP's , 2200 fps, marked $12.99 and from R&R Sports shop

I think the Remington Power Piston I bought are target load, which makes them 8 to 14 years old. The 20 gauge slugs and buckshot are probably the same age as the 30-30. The sabot's are from R&R and most likely 30 to 40 years old as well. The .22 Mag's for sure i bought, and are 12 to 14 years old.

Anywho, is there any rounds in here that should just be disposed of? Any glaring problems that make any of these concerning to shoot in the future?

Russia and Ukraine are both using 30-50 year old ammo every day and it’s working just fine for them and I’m sure the storage conditions haven’t been ideal.

So as part of putting my collection of odds and ends back together from what I inherited from my father, I have a fair bit of old ammo. All stored more or less appropriately. Area it was in would stay around 50% humidity, but drop to near desert conditions during winter when the wood stove was running. Temp ranges would be 60 degrees to as high as 80 in the winter. Cuz wood stove.

I have a full box and a partial of 30-30 Winchester sold by Weir River Gun Shop for 5.95 a box. 170 Grain Core-Lokt HPs. No advertised FPS.

20 gauge remington "power Piston" shells, #4 and #6. I assume this is target load. 25 and 17 shells respectively.

1 box (5 shells) of Remington Express Rifled Slugs.... $1.75 from Weir River as well.

3 boxes totaling 14 shells of BRI Sabot Bullets - brass marked Fiochi. Marked $8.95 and $8.99 but without any store markings, believe them to be R&R

3 boxes totaling 15 rounds of Winchester Super X #3 buck (20 pellets) $3.49 a box from R&R Sports Shop in Belchertown

22 Mag CCI V-max poly tipped HP's , 2200 fps, marked $12.99 and from R&R Sports shop

I think the Remington Power Piston I bought are target load, which makes them 8 to 14 years old. The 20 gauge slugs and buckshot are probably the same age as the 30-30. The sabot's are from R&R and most likely 30 to 40 years old as well. The .22 Mag's for sure i bought, and are 12 to 14 years old.

Anywho, is there any rounds in here that should just be disposed of? Any glaring problems that make any of these concerning to shoot in the future?
#4, and 6 birdshot are probably upland hunting loads... maybe turkey.

Shoot those young things. Christ, I'm shooting stuff that was rolled up in the '60s. Theres nothing wrong with that, and thats not old. I'm old.

Send it.😁. Some of the stuff I shot in the military was pretty old, but we had no issues. Unless that ammo had crazy humidity issues, I think you'd be good to go.

I'd be more concerned with the shotgun stuff, but shotguns are more forgiving of misfires, except maybe for slugs.

I'd have no issue shooting any of that. Maybe not through my daily carry, but any other gun? Sure.

Shoot the ammo!

The only thing I have found with very old ammunition is that there's an occasional dud. (a round that does not fire, despite a good firing pin strike)

So have fun and shoot the ammo.

I've shot ammo approaching 100yrs old, worst that can happen is a dud or a squib, I just pay attention when I'm shooting old or remotely questionable ammo. Anything marked with R&R is going to be fine, that shop isn't old enough to have sold ammo that's too old to shoot lol

With a low round count take a good look at it. If it has corrosion or you have any doubt , chuck or pull it down ?
Ammo generally last a long long tine.

Shoot it. None of it is going to harm your guns.

If there's a problem with any of it, it simply won't fire. Get too many of those in any one box? You might want to chuck that box.

It's not rocket science. It's barely even ballistic science.

I was at the range yesterday and the brass bucket had a bunch of 30-06 brass with 1939 on the head stamp. Definitely 30+ years old. I'd say you are good to. go with your stuff.

I have a bunch of slugs and bird shot, that I was told you can't use because it's lead?
I haven't hunted since the early 80's so I tried to give it to my son to go duck hunting, he refused it.
Lo and behold, that morning they were approached by the EPO for a random complete check and passed no problem.

But, if he had the lead bird shot, is it true its illegal to hunt with now, just MASS or Federally?

I have a bunch of slugs and bird shot, that I was told you can't use because it's lead?
I haven't hunted since the early 80's so I tried to give it to my son to go duck hunting, he refused it.
Lo and behold, that morning they were approached by the EPO for a random complete check and passed no problem.

But, if he had the lead bird shot, is it true its illegal to hunt with now, just MASS or Federally?
Federally illegal for waterfowl. Still legal for upland, etc.

I've got a bunch of 45acp ammo dated 1923-1934. I shot some of the loose stuff and it worked flawlessly.

I have been "rotating my stock" of both 5.56 and 22LR. Some of it is over 40 years old.

No problems at all, Although I am just plinking. I have not tested long range accuracy.

I've got a bunch of 45acp ammo dated 1923-1934. I shot some of the loose stuff and it worked flawlessly.
I shot a bunch of 45 acp 20 years ago trying to get into service pistol a bit. it was about that same time frame

Russia and Ukraine are both using 30-50 year old ammo every day and it’s working just fine for them and I’m sure the storage conditions haven’t been ideal.
Yup. There is TONS of 7n6 5.45x39 manufactured in the 80s being shot here, and they made so much of it, it's still in common use in a military capacity the former SSR sphere as well.

These threads make me happy, because I have stockpiles dated back to Sandy Hook (the first time for me ammo prices went nuts and became hard to find)

I've shot and still shoot .38S&W ammo loaded by my grandfather in the 1970s without any issues.
Just shot a box of 38 Special reloads I bought in1984. Used to trade my brass and $3 per box. Shot fine but pretty dirty.

Shoot it

I've used old paper 12 gauge and 20 gauge I've been given. All shot fine and all broke hand thrown clays at the club.

Paper shells I’d have to think twice about shooting. Collectors will pay good money for those. Then again, they smell so good - I swear my guns moan when I’ve loaded them into the chambers.

Back when I had an M1 Garand I had a bunch of ammo dated from the 40s with it, it all shot just fine.

Back
Top Bottom