• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 test of CFE223 vs TAC - 168gr ELD Hornady

Yes, around 3200-3300. I could probably go a little higher, but they are a blast right now, no need to go higher. Varmits definitely don't care for them....
If you see most of my reloading posts Im usually running slow.
More so for low recoil , a bit of powder stretching and well because its fun to play around. Like I said 98% of my shooting is hole punching at 200 yards

More so for low recoil , a bit of powder stretching and well because its fun to play around. Like I said 98% of my shooting is hole punching at 200 yards
I have an excellent 6.5cm system for that task. .308 is an anti personnel and other 200+ lb big game elimination system. 168gr and 177gr projectiles is what it does best to pack most punch. Horses for courses.

The lightweight/high speed loads are mostly for the hell of it. I usually only load 175/190 in the win mag depending on what's going on. I tried 208 in it, but it did not like it. I didn't like it either after seven rounds.

as i continue that futile experiment to find a varget load that works on my 308 ar10 - here is the latest one on various loads of varget, using same seating depth that worked the best on the 44gr load. targets 1-4 produced an insane amount of smoke - looked like powder did not burn through.

based on shots speed the target 6 seems to be the best compromise. may be will retest target 4 load too, to see if that group of 3 was a fluke or not. overall i should have not been lazy and made groups of 10, not groups of 5 for this crap. too much wild spreads.

at 43.7+ brass starts showing a lot of overgassing signs, but i will test the 43.7 again to see which one will be the most consistent. overall it seems to like the 2550 speed a lot. if i had an adjustable gas block there - may be it would work with more powder, but, alas.

IMG-1192.jpg

Back
Top Bottom