.380 was made great again (.380 Intercepter Taofledermaus)

It won’t penetrate deep enough to hit vitals.

380 needs an FMJ, low-expanding JHP, or a Lehigh fluted solid copper.

Edit: scanned through the video. 8.25” of penetration confirms my hypothesis. On pistols, the diameter of an expanded JHP is far less important than adequate penetration. Some are even leaning to being higher than FBI spec is desired due to what has been observed in people.

Smaller pocket guns than 9mm. Or, less recoil in locking guns like the P365 for those recoil sensitive.

380 can have effective terminal ballistics for a pistol cartridge. You just need to stay away from heavily expanding JHPs to get those ballistics.

Pfffftttt we are splitting hairs here. 240 ft-lbs is the real problem

Pfffftttt we are splitting hairs here. 240 ft-lbs is the real problem

And yet, 240 ft-lbs is enough energy to send a .355” projectile through someone’s body.

You asked why, I shared the reasons.

It doesn’t matter if the hole is .355” or .75” from an expanded .45. The only way for a quick incapacitation of a threat from a pistol is a vital shot or a CNS hit. The 380 will get the job done with good shot placement and an appropriate bullet. Even 9mm and 45 have considerations for JHPs that don’t penetrate enough.

Last edited:
380 - why?

Because it's 2002 again. LOL

380 made sense when every 9 was a behemoth. Back when a double-stack Glock 26 was somewhat teh smallest 9 you could carry. (You could get a Kel-Tec Psomething-9 but it wasn't 100% reliable and they felt like the plastic outside was going to slide off in your hands while you shot it.)

I could see a 380 for pocket carry. But long gone are my days of carrying a 380 or worse a P32 in my pocket.

Because it's 2002 again. LOL

380 made sense when every 9 was a behemoth. Back when a double-stack Glock 26 was somewhat teh smallest 9 you could carry. (You could get a Kel-Tec Psomething-9 but it wasn't 100% reliable and they felt like the plastic outside was going to slide off in your hands while you shot it.)

I could see a 380 for pocket carry. But long gone are my days of carrying a 380 or worse a P32 in my pocket.
No idea, considering how many 9mm pocket guns are on the market now.

380s are still smaller. And when comparing a locking action to a locking action (not direct blowback), 380 is noticeable lower recoil and less slide spring weight. That is a significant factor for a great many people who carry.

IMG_0492.jpeg
IMG_0493.png

380s are still smaller. And when comparing a locking action to a locking action (not direct blowback), 380 is noticeable lower recoil and less slide spring weight. That is a significant factor for a great many people who carry.

View attachment 877436
View attachment 877435
You can go even smaller though:

Screenshot_20240501-091649.png

I don't think the goal is "as small as possible", is it? Isn't it more of "largest I can fit in my pocket"?

My Sig 238 failed me with the Personal Defense ammo last time I took it out. Very upset. Then caught another guy saying Sig 238's are very unreliable with the PD ammo, so I stuffed mine with Blazer Brass. <shrug> <toothlessHillbilly>

View attachment 877438

I don't think the goal is "as small as possible", is it? Isn't it more of "largest I can fit in my pocket"?

Or maybe the smallest that’s still effective and reliable? 🤷‍♂️ Start playing with the largest that can fit in your pocket game and all of a sudden your draw gets snagged.

I have been using the ARX in the wife's G42 carry gun and I have a G42 I carry jogging or doing any type of activity that I can’t carry a 9 or 45 easily. They seem to have pretty good penetration they leave a three prong hole in ballistic gel and seem to function reliably.

Attachments

• IMG_4999.png
    IMG_4999.png
    374 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
My Sig 238 failed me with the Personal Defense ammo last time I took it out. Very upset. Then caught another guy saying Sig 238's are very unreliable with the PD ammo, so I stuffed mine with Blazer Brass. <shrug> <toothlessHillbilly>
My wife's 238 does not function reliably with most carry ammo she would put all round nose and then the first round is a nasty defensive round. That way you rack the first round and it goes, then the rest are round nose and feed reliably behind it.

View attachment 877438

Yeah but there's a trade-off and basically a 380 is about as small as is really practical. 9mm doesn't really lend itself to pocket carry even with the smallest guns.

James Bond carried a Walther PPK in .380 and he had no problem making kill shots.
It was actually a .32 ACP (7.65mm)...at least in the earlier JB movies

"Walther PPK. 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. Takes a Brausch silencer, with little reduction in muzzle velocity. The American CIA swear by them."
~Major Boothroyd to James Bond~

Back
Top Bottom