• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3rd Annual Women's Instructional Shoot

I'll be hosting or co-hosting one of the ranges, so send your wives, sisters, daughters and mothers down to say hi and shoot some guns!

The Massachusetts Rifle Association in Woburn, "America's Oldest Active Gun Club", will be hosting its third annual "Women's Instructional Shoot" on Saturday, June 3, 2006, 8:00 a.m. and we would appreciate it if you would share this information with your members. The event is open to women who have never shot before as well as those with more experience who would like to try something safe, new and fun.

The day will start with a mandatory safety briefing followed by a series of events, with coaching, involving air rifles and pistols, shotguns, smallbore rifles, high power rifles, rim and center fire pistols. Lunch will be provided and therewill be door prizes from our sponsors.

The event is $20 per person or "attend with a friend" - two for $30. Advance registration is required and more information is available at our website: www.MassRifle.com

Thank you for your anticipated assistance,

Bob Collins, President
Massachusetts Rifle Association

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I managed to convince my wife to go as a good way to meet new people and to learn how to handle my guns safely. Fingers crossed that she will have a fun time and enjoy it. [grin]

MarkM said:
Think I managed to convince my wife to go as a good way to meet new people and to learn how to handle my guns safely. Fingers crossed that she will have a fun time and enjoy it. [grin]
That's great! It'll be a good time, I hope she enjoys it! [smile]

MarkM said:

If the last two years are any indication, she'll have a great time.

Last year we had at least one grandmother take her granddaughter. The grandmother really didn't want to be there that morning and was only there because the granddaughter's mother had to work - by the afternoon, she admitted she was having a BLAST! [smile]

They're BOTH signed up again this year -and they're bringing friends! [smile] [smile] [smile]

The MRA Women's Instructional Shoot, "Winning 'em over one at a time."

MarkM said:
We just mailed in the form and $20 for my wife. She seems both excited and nervous [grin]

Hi Mark,

Fours Seasons Fireams in Woburn has just posted and forwarded e-mails re: the MRA Women's Instructional Shoot on June 3rd.

In addition to possible membership offers and door prizes, I just found out about an additional unadvertised (until now for us "NES-types") special - $20.00 off purchase of a firearm at Four Seasons. [grin]

Unfortunately, the NRA and MSP certified Instructors who volunteer don't get a crack at the $20 special. [crying] (Sorry Jen)

Last edited:
My wife and I talked about the shoot last night and she said it would be great if it were like a wine tasting where you have a little sheet of paper where you can write notes about what you liked and disliked about each gun you try so she can then tell me what she liked and take that into account (presumably when we buy her a gun).

Sounds like she is starting to look forward to learning about guns. [banana] [banana]

MarkM said:
My wife and I talked about the shoot last night and she said it would be great if it were like a wine tasting where you have a little sheet of paper where you can write notes about what you liked and disliked about each gun you try so she can then tell me what she liked and take that into account (presumably when we buy her a gun).

Sounds like she is starting to look forward to learning about guns. [banana] [banana]

Smart lady. Tell her to bring paper, seriously!

My Wife told me that she shot a revolver at one of the SAS practice sessions and that she liked it. When I tried "20 questions" with her to ID what she had shot, it was like pulling teeth. At least she saw something at Four Seasons that she also liked and can handle, a S&W 64-3. Ironically, when our PD converted to semi-autos, our chief at that time offered me my pick of the S&W 64s they were trading in at $100 each IIRC! I took a pass (already owned a Colt Det Spcl and Colt Trooper), so fast forward ~20 years and my Wife paid 2.5x that for the same gun (but with the nicer S&W rubber grips).

MarkM said:

That's a GREAT idea!

One of the reasons we have a sit down lunch with all of the participants, instructors, RSOs and coaches is to give an opportunity for some one-on-one discussion of what they liked best/least and why. It's easy to find someone there who would be willing to help a new shooter in trying a few different guns and helping to narrow down the choices for an initial purchase.

It's a cool moment when someone with little/no shooting experience face lights up and says, "Now what was that ___ I shot on the ___ range? That was so much FUN." [smile]

Besides, sometimes teaching a family member to shoot can be like teahing them to drive a standard - better left to another. Later you can sit back and enjoy the ride.

T Dog said:
I just found out about an additional unadvertised (until now for us "NES-types") special - $20.00 off purchase of a firearm at Four Seasons. [grin]

Unfortunately, the NRA and MSP certified Instructors who volunteer don't get a crack at the $20 special. [crying] (Sorry Jen)

Whaddya mean? [crying] [crying] [crying]

You know what, I'm a woman. I quit. I'm going to be a shooter. I need a new gun! [laugh] [laugh]

Since when has "need" had anything to do with it - I left "need" a long way back (but still haven't been able to catch up to all the "wants").

Perhaps we'll have to come up with a volunteer drawing. We can even let YOU draw the name. Of course, that means you don't qualify as a contestant...

SiameseRat said:
I'll be hosting or co-hosting one of the ranges, so send your wives, sisters, daughters and mothers down to say hi and shoot some guns!

A "new" event has just been added to the air gun, pistol, rifle and shotgun events: BLACK POWDER.

There's still room for a few more but we'll be closing the list soon so we can make sure we have enough of everthing on hand.

For more info, check out the Mass. Rifle website (www.MassRifle.com) or send me a PM.

T Dog said:
A "new" event has just been added to the air gun, pistol, rifle and shotgun events: BLACK POWDER.

There's still room for a few more but we'll be closing the list soon so we can make sure we have enough of everthing on hand.

For more info, check out the Mass. Rifle website (www.MassRifle.com) or send me a PM.
COOL! I know what range Patrick is going to be on all day [wink]

MarkM said:
We just mailed in the form and $20 for my wife. She seems both excited and nervous [grin]

Mark,

I just wanted to confirm that your wife's registration form was received and is in the book. I look forward to meeting her on the 3rd.

If she/you have any more questions please feel free to send me a PM.

Last Chance Ladies...

SiameseRat said:

Tomorrow - Sunday May 28th will probably be the last chance to sign up and there's a FEW spaces available (and too few better ways to spend half a day than trying a bit of most things shooting and have some fun...).

T Dog said:
Tomorrow - Sunday May 28th will probably be the last chance to sign up and there's a FEW spaces available (and too few better ways to spend half a day than trying a bit of most things shooting and have some fun...).
Are we almost at Max Capacity? Hooray, hooray!

Back
Top Bottom