.40 AMMO FOR CCW VS. TARGET SUGGESTIONS

Just bought my first CCW, a S&W M+P .40C and looking for suggestions on ammo for target practice versus carry/protection. I'm new to this so really appreciate input. Bought the gun at S&W and dealer there suggested Corbon 140 gr. DPX for carry/protection. Quite pricey at 41.99 for box of 20. Later, went to local gun shop and owner suggested Winchester 165 gr. target/range for target at 43.50 for box of 100 and Winchester 155 gr. "Ranger" law enforcement ammo at 22.95 for box of 50 for protecftion since this is what police carry. So much variety in brands, prices and grain. Isn't more grain better for carry ?

Corbon is nice stuff, as are Speer SD rounds, but not range material

Shoot 100 rounds of the ranger stuff for the 2.50 more than the target stuff and see how you like it.

If you want there is white box wally world ammo for cheap money. I want to say 28 bucks for 100

for CCW JHP's: i go with 165gr Federal ammo for obvious reasons:

a. price
b. availability

for plinking FMJ's: i go with 180gr Remington UMC, Winchester White Box or Blazer CCI... occasionally, I find Independence FMJ's as well, all in either 165 or 180gr.

I've also came across some "low recoil" stuff that I didn't really like or couldn't shoot as good.

the M&P fotay is a great CCW BTW. LOL

Winchester White Box 40 FMJ or Remington UMC for the range. I prefer the WWB

Speer 180gr Gold Dots for self defense.
Federal HST is a great SD round as well.

ETA - 20 rounds of corbon for $2/rd??? No thanks. They aren't anything special.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the winchester white box was a good suggestion and purchase. Hopefully won't have trouble returning and exchanging these Corbons.

You might also try reloads for range use. NET sells them; other dealers may stock them. Check the dealers in your area.

S&B is also good ammo at a reasonable price.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the winchester white box was a good suggestion and purchase. Hopefully won't have trouble returning and exchanging these Corbons.
Usually all ammo sales are final so you probably will not be able to return or exchange them.

Back
Top Bottom