.410/20/16/12 - Which is best for Rabbit?

Viper22

NES Member
Like the title says, Which ga. shotgun is best for Rabbit hunting. I've got a Mossberg 500, but its going to be my turkey/deer gun and I was looking into getting an older, bolt action shotgun with the selectable choke....why, I don't know.

Anyway, what do you use for rabbit? Also, what shot size?

Thanks.

Anyone I have been around have used #6 Gameloads. The 20 gauge will need a much better placed shot than a 12. Depending on the model a twenty is a lot better to carry around all day compared to a 12. .410 and 16 and pretty expensive to shoot so that would be another reason I'd recommend a 12 or 20.

I'm a 16ga fan - you might as well ask what the best tire is for New England off-road wheeling is.

I'll sum it up this way:
regardless of gauge, choke & shot size is a more important choice - a 30" bbl full choke/#4 is not a great choice for rabbits over dogs - nor is a 24" bbl IC/#7.5 a great choice for pass shooting ducks...

They all will perform providing you understand the constraints of each gauge

If you've got a Mossy in 12 then use a light choke and a 1 oz load

If you want to buy a new gun, then a lightweight gun with an open fixed choke is a better choice than a heavy tight choke.

Some say a 22lr is all you need...

I think you could use any of those. The 410 may be a little small, but you could still use it. I would say that the 12 or the 20 would be your best bet.

i like my NEF 12GA. only single shot, but I can carry it all day and not be tired.

W/O dogs, a small bore rifle works very well.

try with a bow and varmint heads.. Very challenging and fun.

I feel that weight comes down to having a synthetic setup vs. a wood setup. If you have a synthetic 12 Gauge with a good sling on it you will be in much better shape than carrying around a Browning A-5 20 Gauge.

Good news! I'm trading my Mosin Nagant M44 plus some cash for a '70's era Ruger Single Six Convertable with the .22 LR and .22 wmr cylinders.

It should make for some fun hunting.

And I've got my Mossy 500 if all else fails.

The thing about the shotgun is, well, the shot.

I don't get a lot of bunnies, but the last one was a clean .22 shot through the vitals. Contrast that to the past pheasant, which was full of number 4s.

Just a personal preference, I guess.

When I saw the thread title I cracked up a bit.

And thought to myself "The best round for rabbit is the one you dont kill him with."

But when it comes to hunting rabbits I am of the opinion that a .223 or if you're on a low budget 22LR.

When I was much younger I have fond memories of slaughtering rabbits in the desert about 100 miles north of Los Angeles with my first AR15 rifle.

I used the tire method to skin them.

Good eatin rabbit cooked over an open fire.

Which is best for Rabbit?

Back
Top Bottom