.45 ACP cases getting mashed?

I'm fairly new to .45, and really starting to appreciate it and the 1911. Now that I am reloading and collecting my casings, I'm noticing that every now and then I come across some that have the following deformations:

case_damage.jpg

Anyone know what might be the cause? I though it might be the ejector, but that grabs onto the rim of the base. Maybe hitting the feed ramp too hard or at a bad angle?

Thanks

Case is hitting the ejection port on your slide on the way out possibly. I usually see some dings on the side of the case. Or they are hitting a wall next to you where you're shooting. Is your 1911 new? Used? How many rounds?

II though it might be the ejector, but that grabs onto the rim of the base. Maybe hitting the feed ramp too hard or at a bad angle?

Just a terminology correction.

The extractor grabs the rim of the case and is the hooked piece on the right side of the slide. The ejector is a metal stud that appears on the left side of the pistol when you pull the slide all the way back. The ejector kicks the lower left side of the casing and the extractor provides the pivot to allow it to fly free.

Chances are the cases are not being flung up enough to clear the ejection port and the case mouth is slamming into the lower part of the port. Check your extractor and see if it is straight or slightly bent. Also, check your ejector and see if it is nice and square.

A gunsmith will be able to tune the ejection to eliminate this, but your reloading die can also correct the casing.

Thanks for the replies. Would someone care to explain how they lower the ejector port? This is a stock S&W 1911 with about 500 rounds through it.

Thanks.

S&W 1911s already have a lowered and flared ejection port. Here's an original style ejection port:
M1911_Pistol_US.jpg

And here's a lowered and flared port:
kimber.jpg

See the difference?

Back
Top Bottom