.45 ACP reload fail

Devils Paintbrush

NES Member
Reloading .45 ACP yesterday and ended up with this abomination on the right.

Not going to reveal what happened yet.

Anyone want to guess what happened?

Attachments

• 45 ACP reload.jpg
    45 ACP reload.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 58
What kind of press? Did the finished cartridge stay in the press and get hit with the sizing die?

Kinda hard to tell without touching it. Is the bullet loose? If so, you failed to size the case?

Or maybe you used some undersized bullets?

Or maybe there was a bullet stuck in the seating die?

.40 case or not-a-.45acp case
not a .40 case.
What kind of press? Did the finished cartridge stay in the press and get hit with the sizing die?
The hint is that the case was belled too much compared to the others. Using a Dillon 650.

Case was resized correctly...with an asterisk.

Projectile was the correct size.

It did stay in the press and had a final crimp of .473

Last edited:
I will end the mystery.

I have had this happen with .380 case and a 9mm case, but never with a .45 case, never considered it.

I thought at first it was my powder die had slipped, but it was tight.

Extra case length made the bell of the case larger.

Live and learn.

Another thing I learned today.

Rowland conversion

Attachments

• 45 acp dimensions.JPG
    45 acp dimensions.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 460 roland.JPG
    460 roland.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 45 ACP side.jpg
    45 ACP side.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I didn't catch the difference in length of the two cases in the original picture, but now that you mentioned it, I can see it.

Mine was a result of an unsized, un reprimed piece of brass getting into a bag of sized and primed 9mm. Thinking they were all sized and primed, it got put into the loading tray and loaded. The primer was expended so there was no issue with a squib, and I picked up on the different feel of the press when seating the bullet.

Thats what the inertial hammer puller is for. [thumbsup]

I just thought you pushed the "thingy" on the top too far into the "thingy" on the bottom !! o_O

I will end the mystery.

I have had this happen with .380 case and a 9mm case, but never with a .45 case, never considered it.

I thought at first it was my powder die had slipped, but it was tight.

Extra case length made the bell of the case larger.

Live and learn.

Another thing I learned today.

Rowland conversion

If you get the chance to build one-

250 gr lead rn- avg 1100 fps (6" longslide}

230 gr lead rn- creeping up on 1300 fps. (6" longslide)

Don't run wax lubed lead, run the hi-tek coated stuff.

All with AA#7. Jacketed runs faster. 185-200 gr jacketed is stupid fast.

IMG_2050.jpeg IMG_2051.jpeg IMG_2052.jpeg

If you get the chance to build one-

250 gr lead rn- avg 1100 fps (6" longslide}

230 gr lead rn- creeping up on 1300 fps. (6" longslide)

Don't run wax lubed lead, run the hi-tek coated stuff.

All with AA#7. Jacketed runs faster. 185-200 gr jacketed is stupid fast.

View attachment 875748View attachment 875751View attachment 875752
Wait this guy is still alive??!?!? I thought he went south to the land of milk and honey?!?

Did you move back up so you can shoot steel with us again?

Wait this guy is still alive??!?!? I thought he went south to the land of milk and honey?!?

Did you move back up so you can shoot steel with us again?

Am still alive, not moving back up ever.
Ordered some lead from Missouri bullet company for an 8 stage steel challenge match, was drivin home and thought "hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder" and here I is.
First shoot in like 3 years. If I can get most of my brass back I'll shoot .45, but I'll feel it out with the wheelgun for a few matches, see whats what.
90% of whats on practiscore down here is rifle or 3 gun. Closest bowling pin shoot is 3 hrs away in Georgia. Lot of rimfire stuff.

I do miss Walls of Steel and the outlaw steel shoots, but its a tradeoff I guess.

Am still alive, not moving back up ever.
Ordered some lead from Missouri bullet company for an 8 stage steel challenge match, was drivin home and thought "hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder" and here I is.
First shoot in like 3 years. If I can get most of my brass back I'll shoot .45, but I'll feel it out with the wheelgun for a few matches, see whats what.
90% of whats on practiscore down here is rifle or 3 gun. Closest bowling pin shoot is 3 hrs away in Georgia. Lot of rimfire stuff.

I do miss Walls of Steel and the outlaw steel shoots, but its a tradeoff I guess.
Sounds terrible down there. If you come back tomorrow you can shoot the match this weekend 😂

Back
Top Bottom