.45 ACP revolver ammo question

Fixxah

NES Member
I was in Bass Pro recently and while drooling over pistols, came across wheel guns that fire 45 auto. While not terribly excited about moon clip idea, the fact that I already reload 45 got me thinking of possibly buying one.

My question is, will cases that are fired in this wheel gun also be re-usable in 1911? Simply put, having cases slightly exposed in cylinder leads me to believe that they will show a bulge near tha base and i am not sure if resizing dies will do the whole case.

I definately don't want to look for a case roller which I assume would cure this. If this is a ridiculous assumption on my part, sorry to have asked.

I would like to hear of anyone's experience with these guns.

John

I reload for both and have never had a problem with brass. I can't see any difference between them.

45 revolvers with moon clips are a lot of fun and super accurate. If you want to try mine pm me.

I have 30 moon clips loaded and keep them in a small carboard box. I use the demooning tool that came with the gun and then clean the powder off the moon clips with a little Hoppes and then use a super mooning tool to reload them.

The super mooning tool is made by a guy in Sandwich and you can find them at the Middleboro gun shop for $35. They are really worth the money.

Having used 2 different 625's and still competing with one of them, I have to ask:

What is this "cases slightly exposed in cylinder" you speak of?

The case walls are not exposed and the clip supports about 220 degrees of the extractor groove. I use the same ammo in both my revolver and my autoloader, reload the cases and use them again. No "bulges" or other crises.

You'll be fine using the same cases in both. The revolver doesn't leave a bulge, and even if it did, your resizing dies would fix it.

If you don't like the idea of moon clips, get yourself some .45 Auto Rim cases.

If you don't like the idea of moon clips, get yourself some .45 Auto Rim cases.

Better yet, get a real revolver caliber; .357, 44 Mag or .45 LC.

Once you give up the advantage of moon clips, the nuisance and expense of finding .45 AR cases is rather pointless.

Having used 2 different 625's and still competing with one of them, I have to ask:

What is this "cases slightly exposed in cylinder" you speak of?

The case walls are not exposed and the clip supports about 220 degrees of the extractor groove. I use the same ammo in both my revolver and my autoloader, reload the cases and use them again. No "bulges" or other crises.

Having never had the experience of shooting one and just looking at it, there is a space between the frame and the back of the cylinder that seems excessive to me. Surely this is for moon clip and I figured that cases have to stick out some and questioned whether or not this is correct. Scriv., is it worth itin your opinion to get one or get a little, cute .357? [Enter] [Enter]

I just got my Bass Pro plastic and am looking to add to my nest. BIG GUNS are too much to reload etc. and I can just shoot Jim's when I go to shoots.[wink]

That space accommodates the moon clip and rim. The case is more supported in a 625 than in most autoloaders.

And you're always welcome to shoot my revolvers.

I was in Bass Pro recently and while drooling over pistols, came across wheel guns that fire 45 auto. While not terribly excited about moon clip idea, the fact that I already reload 45 got me thinking of possibly buying one.

My question is, will cases that are fired in this wheel gun also be re-usable in 1911? Simply put, having cases slightly exposed in cylinder leads me to believe that they will show a bulge near tha base and i am not sure if resizing dies will do the whole case.

I definately don't want to look for a case roller which I assume would cure this. If this is a ridiculous assumption on my part, sorry to have asked.

I would like to hear of anyone's experience with these guns.

John

My 625 is awesome with .45AR. I load them identical to .45ACP. I will never go back to
moon clips. The person that invented moon clips (IMHO) was not the brightest bulb on
the planet and I was clearly not the brightest bulb either for trying them. Moon clips suck
beyond all that is known to mankind. [smile]

And yes, .45ACP that has been fired in a wheel gun is fine for reloading for a 1911.

I will never go back to
moon clips. The person that invented moon clips (IMHO) was not the brightest bulb on
the planet and I was clearly not the brightest bulb either for trying them. Moon clips suck

So - how do you like driving that ox cart? How many miles per bag of oats? [devil2]

Especially certain Austrian autoloaders (what's "Ka-BOOM" in German?). [wink]

Glock? [smile]

I was going to say the same thing. In a revolver cylinder, you're getting about as much support for the case as possible. The chamber tolerances can be tighter because you load the rounds directly into the cylinder rather than feeding one by one. The need for reliability in semi-autos drove one big name manufacturer to loosen the chamber tolerances enough to ensure reliability, but gives the side effect of bulged brass. That way, they always get props for reliability, but they also get the occasional kBs and reloading for them is a PITA.

Mr Fixxah, I have a .45 Revolver that uses moon clips, and it's a great gun.

There's very little not to like. Ammo stays together, reloads into gun faster, extracts all at one time and has sufficient power as a defense load. I like loading up a dozen Moon Clips before I go shooting and de-mooning them when I get home.

You might want to look into what I believe are called RIMZ moon clips that are made from polymer and can be loaded and demooned by hand.
They are not as rigid as the metal ones so probably would not be good to use in competition but they do work well in my 625.

My 625 is awesome with .45AR. I load them identical to .45ACP. I will never go back to

And yes, .45ACP that has been fired in a wheel gun is fine for reloading for a 1911.

I bought a 625 a couple of years ago and it is my favorite revolver and the moon clips are my hands down favorite way to load a revolver as they seem to be much faster that "speed loaders", probably because you don't have to worry about getting rid of the empty speed loader.

I will admit that mooning and demooning can be a PITA, but these operations are bearable with the proper tools and well worth the effort. There is no easier way to collect your empties that with moon clips and, at the big matches where they keep the brass, you get yours back.

I don't need a tool to load; any hard, flat surface does fine.

I use the snap-ring type of de-mooner; it pops them out two at a time. Very slick.

I don't need a tool to load; any hard, flat surface does fine.

I use the snap-ring type of de-mooner; it pops them out two at a time. Very slick.

Different question: I know the tool you mention, and have one. Do you have any experience with the 627-8 shot? Am having a bitch of a time with unloading. Have held off on using it in matches for this reason. No, have not worked with it daily. Took it out and had 6 clips loaded with Mag Tech 38. Almost punched a hold throgh my hand trying to eject. "Tough" and "tight" does not begin to describe it.

Put it aside for the time being. Did clean it thoroughly after purchase to get rid of any factory stuff. Have not tried it yet without the clips....but that would defeat the purpose.

Ever had the same experience?

No experience w/the 627.

Sounds like an ammo issue; weak cases or hot loads.

You could be right, but this is brand-new factory stuff, standard loads, 125 gr. FMC, flat nose. (.38 Spcl) (Mag Tech).

Will dismount and re-clean the cylinder again and try a variety of 38 and 357 of different brands to see what happens. Have not concentrated on it yet due to a lot of other projects going on. It will be addressed, one way or another. Thanks for the input.

Different question: I know the tool you mention, and have one. Do you have any experience with the 627-8 shot? Am having a bitch of a time with unloading. Have held off on using it in matches for this reason. No, have not worked with it daily. Took it out and had 6 clips loaded with Mag Tech 38. Almost punched a hold throgh my hand trying to eject. "Tough" and "tight" does not begin to describe it.

Put it aside for the time being. Did clean it thoroughly after purchase to get rid of any factory stuff. Have not tried it yet without the clips....but that would defeat the purpose.

Ever had the same experience?

I thought the eight shot revolvers used .38 super ammo as you need the extractor groove for the moon clip.

I thought the eight shot revolvers used .38 super ammo as you need the extractor groove for the moon clip.

This 627 is a Performance Center item. It was made for use with the moon clips and came with 3 from the factory.

There was a 627 chambered for .38 Super (made for a distributor with NO taste - it was one butt-ugly revolver).

However, the OP knows what his gun is chambered for and it's .357 Magnum.

WITH moon clips.

Just to update my post.

I met Eddie Coyle on Friday after work and fired his S&W 625. I was quite impressed with the gun. While it is slow compared to anything but a .22 it was comfortable to shoot and seemed very accurate as well.

I left Shirley R&G around 6:20 PM and planned on going to NET in Attleboro to see some guns because I wanted one NOW. After sitting in traffic on 495 for what seemed like an eternity, I realized that I would have to try Bass Pro because of time. Thunderstorms and torrential downpours prevented smooth sailing on road.

George at Bass Pro was accomodating to say the least and while they were ready to close, he spent considerable time with me looking at wheel guns. Meanwhile C-pher was giving me crap for being too cheap to get in on CRKT knife group buy.

After ordering my new knife from him, he bought tix for my club raffle and I was on my way. Downpour had returned to my shagrin and ride to Norwood took an hour.

Saturday, I returned to Bass Pro and George ordered a JM 625 for me, it will be in Thursday. I spent $566.99 for my new gun. I have spent over a grand in there since they opened. If only they sold LH black rifles.

My reloads didn't fit into the cylinder too easily and I wonder if I should size my LRN or SWC to .451 for my new gun? It will not arrive until the stork drops it off on Thursday. Is this a no no for lead bullets in a wheel gun?

I expect a stern reply from an individual, but go easy on me. I am new to revolvers and want to do the right thing. I'm sure if I spent countless hours pouring over old material, I would more than likely find my answer. [wink]

My 625 is awesome with .45AR. I load them identical to .45ACP. I will never go back to moon clips. The person that invented moon clips (IMHO) was not the brightest bulb on the planet and I was clearly not the brightest bulb either for trying them. Moon clips suck

They might not be convenient but they sure make reloading the gun that much faster. We have guys shooting 625s at the pin shoots that can almost keep up with the autoloader
guys in terms of reloads, and most of this is made possible by moon clips. Even guys who are good with speedloaders are almost seconds behind moon clips.

.45 AR is probably more convenient for casual plinking, but for any competition requiring fast reloads, a moon clip is a must have when running a 625.

-Mike

My reloads didn't fit into the cylinder too easily and I wonder if I should size my LRN or SWC to .451 for my new gun? It will not arrive until the stork drops it off on Thursday. Is this a no no for lead bullets in a wheel gun?

.451 is the correct bullet diameter for .45 ACP; lead bullets for that caliber will, of course, be slightly larger (.452). Do not use .45 Colt bullets, which are .454.

Back
Top Bottom