45 reload accuracy

I'm not one to shoot other persons reloads, but I recently bought a big bucket of 45 auto rim reloads from "Massnee" for a price that I couldn't refuse. I was hoping for quality reloads without any surprises. Well, I got one; these 45's proved to be incredibly accurate. Far more accurate than any other 45's I've reloaded myself or commercially manufactured (45 auto rim and 45ACP). I just couldn't believe my S&W 625 was capable of such accuracy. Unfortunately I was told, these reloads were acquired through an estate sale. Anyone know if its possible to reverse engineer a reloaded round? I know the bullet type, but haven't a clue what brand the powder might be.

I don't think there would be any way to identify what powder was used. However, I know Massnee did get quite a bit of powder from the same sale. I would bet, that if you looked up the reloading info for the manufactures of the powder that he got, you might be able to narrow it down to a couple of possibilities of powder. After that, pulling the bullet, and weighing the powder charge and getting the COL used is the easy part.

I don't think there would be any way to identify what powder was used. However, I know Massnee did get quite a bit of powder from the same sale. I would bet, that if you looked up the reloading info for the manufactures of the powder that he got, you might be able to narrow it down to a couple of possibilities of powder. After that, pulling the bullet, and weighing the powder charge and getting the COL used is the easy part.

It might not be as hard as you think. If they're handloads, they were likely made with commercially available powder. Pull a few and look at the powder. You might get lucky and it'll be Blue Dot, Red Dot, or Green Dot. If it's not, look at the texture, try to match it to something you have, then go outside and compare burn rates. I've burned quite a bit of powder (don't ask) and found that they sometimes burn very differently. Also, weigh the charge, and run a couple through a chrono. I bet that you can rule out many powders by comparing charge weight and velocity.

Good luck.

EDIT: I bought 3lbs of powder from Massnee from the same estate lot. If the powder in your reloads leaves the gun filthy, I can guess what it might be: Power Pistol.

EDIT: I bought 3lbs of powder from Massnee from the same estate lot. If the powder in your reloads leaves the gun filthy, I can guess what it might be: Power Pistol.

I'm no expert but that would be interesting. I find that PP isn't desirable in .45s IMO. I also didn't notice it's much dirtier than other powders I've tried either. I need to experiment more...

4.6 grains of Titegroup, 1.275 OAL, 230 Grain Berry round nose
Soft shooting. It's almost like cheating on the plate rack.

45ACP=4.8gr American Select, Federal Nickel case, Federal Primer, either a 230gr Montana gold FMJ for major or a 140gr Sinterfire Frangible for minor. I don't care about OAL as it is a revolver load and you can't load them long enough to bother anything. (They average 1.26)

Last edited:
.45ACP 230g LRN 4.2g Red Dot seated 1.240" OAL WLP primers.....very dirty load for the gun, but is a great load for my Kimber.

I'm no expert but that would be interesting. I find that PP isn't desirable in .45s IMO. I also didn't notice it's much dirtier than other powders I've tried either. I need to experiment more...

The reason I suggested the possibility was because I bought three pounds of it from the same guy/same estate. It burns clean if you load it hot enough, but very dirty at lower (like .45 ACP) pressure.

Back
Top Bottom