.45acp Clays under 230gr lead RN

I just got into reloading,
The reloading manual doesn't have data on the above load.
I doesn't show 230gr lead for some reason

it does have 225gr. lead.

Is there a significant difference,

The starting load and max load seem to fall in the range of what I have found on the internet,

I was thinking of starting with 3.6gr under 230gr lead round nose

any suggestions or tips

I've been using Clays in the .45 for years. It's accurate and shoots softer. Back in the dark ages, when Limited guns were our old single stack .45's the load used by the big guns (Robbie, Burner, etc) was 4.4 of Clays, with a 230 FMJ. 3.6 will be close to a major load if that's your goal, but, I don't think it will quite make it.

Dan S said:
I've been using Clays in the .45 for years. It's accurate and shoots softer. Back in the dark ages, when Limited guns were our old single stack .45's the load used by the big guns (Robbie, Burner, etc) was 4.4 of Clays, with a 230 FMJ. 3.6 will be close to a major load if that's your goal, but, I don't think it will quite make it.

Sorry to bud in but how clean is the Clays at Major PF Dan? I am still looking around even though I have 8# of Tightgroup.

Regards,

Clays seems to be pretty clean. It must be, I hardly clean my Series 70 Government model :) It's not like Accurate #7 was, that would leave little sandy looking grains in the barrel. But, that was 38 Super major loads.

Dan S said:
Clays seems to be pretty clean. It must be, I hardly clean my Series 70 Government model :) It's not like Accurate #7 was, that would leave little sandy looking grains in the barrel. But, that was 38 Super major loads.

Thanks Dan,

I am looking at 170PF loads but in a revolver so I need clean to make it through a major match without having to go to a safe area. So far, Tightgroup is working but I may try some American Select. According to Mr Miculek, it is a better load than BullsEye which seems to be cleaner than Tightgroup.

Thanls,

Gary

Back
Top Bottom