.45ACP for $12.98/case

This thread should actually be titled, "I love stupid people."

So I stopped at Dick's this afternoon to pick up some ammo. Remington UMC was on sale for $12.98/box when you buy a case of 10 boxes (500 rounds), so I picked up two cases. The cases are typical bulk containers, sealed cardboard boxes with no pictures or merch. descriptions on them, just a written description and several bar codes.

So I bring the two cases up to the cashier. I should note that she wasn't the happiest, or most pleasant person in the world. When she asked for my ID, I handed her my LTC. She got all upset and lectured me on how I had to show her my driver's license or an official ID, not whatever it was I just handed her. I wasn't in the mood for a fight, so I just handed her my driver's license.

So then she tries to scan the bar codes on the case, but they don't work. I start to explain that she might have to open the case and scan the box inside, but she brushes me off. Then she finds the SKU # on the box, and types that in. Price: $12.98. She hit's 2x, and my final price was $27.26. I said, "Are you sure that's right?" She said, "Yes." Then I said, "Actually, I think you need too..." and she cuts me off and says, "Don't tell me how to do my job!"

That's all I needed to hear. I handed her a $20 and a $10, took my change, and off I went. Who am I to tell her how to do her job? Her boss will tell her, when he finds out she sold $260 worth of ammo for $28.

Last edited:
[smile] Good for you, every now and then one of the little guys catch a break, glad it was one of our own this time. [smile]

Wow what a deal. It's funny though getting a deal like that and still feeling it's just not right. You tryed to tell her, I don't think she will be working there tommorow.

Ignorance and arrogance - always an entertaining combination!

In your case, profitable as well......

Early this spring I took 4 20 lb propane tanks to be filled and the 'girl' at the checkout only charged me for 1 lb for each tank. I too tried to correct it with her to no avail.

After I paid (I'd already dropped the tanks out back for filling) I went an found the owner of the hardware store.

To this day, when I walk in and he sees me, he makes the effort to make sure I was able to find whatever I needed.

Granted at a place like Dick's the manager might just thank you, but at a little home-town business, that honesty meant a lot to him.

...they call it "Dicks". [smile]

I love cashiers like that !

This is the same Dicks as the one that formerly employed the worlds most politically incorrect salesperson. For those of you who didn't hear the story:

This was about 6 months back. I was looking to buy .357 for my S&W. The guy behind the gun counter said they were out of .357, but tried to sell me .38 special. I passed, telling him I preferred the stopping power of the .357. He told me: "I don't know much about stopping power. All I know it it'll kill a n***er, and that's good enough for me."

I took a moment to inform the manager about THAT exchange, and I don't believe he works there anymore.

Early this spring I took 4 20 lb propane tanks to be filled and the 'girl' at the checkout only charged me for 1 lb for each tank. I too tried to correct it with her to no avail.

After I paid (I'd already dropped the tanks out back for filling) I went an found the owner of the hardware store.

To this day, when I walk in and he sees me, he makes the effort to make sure I was able to find whatever I needed.

Granted at a place like Dick's the manager might just thank you, but at a little home-town business, that honesty meant a lot to him.

I agree with you on this one, Chris. If this had been a small mom & pop shop, I would have called over the manager to correct the cashier. But my sympathy only goes so far at a box store like Dick's. Hell, if it'd been Walmart, I would have told her to ring up a dozen!

The second to last time I picked up Shotgun shells the kid did the same thing, but wasn't at all rude about anything. If I had the girl you had, I would've kept walking out the door. I just don't get people who work in the service industry that feel they are doing me a favor by ringing me up. You don't like your job find another one where you can hide yourself away from the public.

This is the same Dicks as the one that formerly employed the worlds most politically incorrect salesperson. For those of you who didn't hear the story:

This was about 6 months back. I was looking to buy .357 for my S&W. The guy behind the gun counter said they were out of .357, but tried to sell me .38 special. I passed, telling him I preferred the stopping power of the .357. He told me: "I don't know much about stopping power. All I know it it'll kill a n***er, and that's good enough for me."

I took a moment to inform the manager about THAT exchange, and I don't believe he works there anymore.

Do you happen to remember his name?...We had a "friend" here at NES that worked at a Dick's...

Nope, it wasn't out friend - different Dick's. Maybe it's their hiring practice.

Is his name "Nick"?

I think he works at an Army/Navy surplus store now...

fallingdown.JPG

I go to the Dick's in South Attleboro a lot for ammo. Whenever they have their sale prices I buy a case or more of .45 and 9mm.

They always open the box at the register and count the individual boxes.

I've told them I want the cases left sealed, and that there are ten boxes in a case, but they won't leave them sealed like I ask. I know it's a little thing, but a lot of the time I'm buying in quantity just to stock up, and it's easier to keep track of sealed cases.

What store did you go to, maybe I can buy some sealed cases there.

Could I get the full name of the individual who just claimed to have stolen large quantities of ammunition? The date of the theft and the location of the store would also be helpful.

If we're going to rat people out for politically incorrect comments in hopes they lose their jobs, we might as well rat out actual criminals who actually steal large quantities of live ammunition.

Last edited:
Is it stealing? I mean he did pay, it just wasn't the right amount. I always correct cashiers at small family owned buisinesses, but not corporate stores. It's their problem for hiring idiots.

Is it stealing? I mean he did pay, it just wasn't the right amount. I always correct cashiers at small family owned buisinesses, but not corporate stores. It's their problem for hiring idiots.

It's not stealing at all...In fact, he said that he tried to interrupt her to correct her, but she told him to not tell her how to do her job. As far as I'm concerned, he made the effort and she wanted to "flex her muscle" as the cashier...She f***ed up. Good for him.

Hiring idiots??

No they don't do that. They hire overwhelmed, underpaid, underappreciated men and women of all ages who put up with idiots (YOU, THE CUSTOMER!) every single day. They are bombarded with stupid questions and unreasonable requests all day long. Half you a**h***s who come in to buy ammo are f***ing ugly and overweight and have totally distasteful personalities.

then you have the unreasonable requests from management, coupled with the insane tasks required to keep a store properly price tagged, merchandised etc.

You act like a bunch of tough guys because you hope your the only one with a gun. [rofl]

Next time you walk into Dick's to buy some ammo, treat the employees with a little f***ing respect and maybe you'll get some good service.

even cops go in there and don't know what the f*** they are talking about. they need someone to explain the difference between a rifled and smoothbore shotgun barrel. and we trust these people with a badge and a gun... [shocked]

seen an LTC-A holder come in there and not know what ammunition he had in his carry gun WHILE CARRYING. i had to have him eject his mag and let me inspect the cartridges.

but that ugly and overweight comment really is the meat and potatoes of this discussion, please look at yourself in the mirror, and think about it.

and when you feel like getting mouthy and tough with your salesman, don't think for a second that the salesman wouldn't put you in your place in a heartbeat if he didn't need the job to pay the bills.

Last edited:
As I read through this thread I was wondering both if anyone would bring up the moral (or legal) question of “livinwatertown’s” action as well as what response that moral question might bring.

Is there anyone else, besides “FiveseveN”, who sees paying $26 for $260 worth of ammo as wrong?

Interesting insight into people’s real values, isn’t it?

Respectfully,

jkelly

As I read through this thread I was wondering both if anyone would bring up the moral (or legal) question of “livinwatertown’s” action as well as what response that moral question might bring.

Is there anyone else, besides “FiveseveN”, who sees paying $26 for $260 worth of ammo as wrong?

Interesting insight into people’s real values, isn’t it?

Respectfully,

jkelly

I did point that out in my answer, I tryed to do it politely. I don't think it is right but if you made every effort to correct her I would pay the money than go see the manager to inform them of what just happened. I think the manager would make you pay the right amount but with a huge discount I would hope.

No they don't do that. They hire overwhelmed, underpaid, underappreciated men and women of all ages who put up with idiots (YOU, THE CUSTOMER!) every single day.

FiveseveN I agree most cashers are good people putting up with "us customers". I worked in sales alot and I agree "us customers" can be A%% H**s, but as my old boss said "the customer is always right, do not make the customers mad, a happy customer brings in more customers".

What I don't agree with is your wording, please clean it up, I am not a Mod or the Fourm Police but this trys to be a clean site. I use alot of colorfull words also, but not in print.

David

Hiring idiots??

No they don't do that. They hire overwhelmed, underpaid, underappreciated men and women of all ages who put up with idiots (YOU, THE CUSTOMER!) every single day. They are bombarded with stupid questions and unreasonable requests all day long. Half you a**h***s who come in to buy ammo are f***ing ugly and overweight and have totally distasteful personalities.

then you have the unreasonable requests from management, coupled with the insane tasks required to keep a store properly price tagged, merchandised etc.

You act like a bunch of tough guys because you hope your the only one with a gun. [rofl]

Next time you walk into Dick's to buy some ammo, treat the employees with a little f***ing respect and maybe you'll get some good service.

even cops go in there and don't know what the f*** they are talking about. they need someone to explain the difference between a rifled and smoothbore shotgun barrel. and we trust these people with a badge and a gun... [shocked]

seen an LTC-A holder come in there and not know what ammunition he had in his carry gun WHILE CARRYING. i had to have him eject his mag and let me inspect the cartridges.

but that ugly and overweight comment really is the meat and potatoes of this discussion, please look at yourself in the mirror, and think about it.

and when you feel like getting mouthy and tough with your salesman, don't think for a second that the salesman wouldn't put you in your place in a heartbeat if he didn't need the job to pay the bills.

You need to leave the customer service industry NOW. You're clearly not cut out for it.

When you pay and are gruffly rebuffed when attempting to make things right, it's time to smile pick up your bags and head for the door. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom