.45ACP for $12.98/case

C-pher points out some very valid points about the retail business.

When I look at Dick's Lodge wrt guns, I see the focus is mostly on hunting guns. Since I know nothing about hunting, fishing and almost as little about archery, it's not a place where my personal expertise could be very useful.

Although I've shot with some people who were also very "into" fishing and hunting, when I think back over all those years I realize it was maybe a handful of people who had expertise in all three areas.

The nature of retail is keep overhead costs down, so when you go into the Lodge, you are lucky to find one or two people working there at one time. You're drawing straws as to getting the employee who knows something about your sport vs. another one.

That is why we oftentimes say . . . support your local gun shop! If you need something quick at a Dick's or a Wal-Mart, go in and grab it, but do NOT expect "service" at those stores!

I'm hoping that Bass Pro has a "real" gun department where the clerks sell all sorts of guns (handguns, C&Rs - I can hope, as well as long guns and accessories) and it's not part of the fishing, boating, etc. department. If so, I may just look to work there part-time for fun and $.

I usually go to the Dick's in Danvers and the guys behind the counter in the hunting/fishing department arnt the best but they are nice and I have never had a problem with them. They always ask for my LTC upstiars when i am getting the ammo. The main problem is downstairs at the register where you have to pay. I think i have been asked once for my LTC (out of at least 10-15 times). They really need to train the people at the register downstairs just like they do upstairs.

As for Fiveseven you need to chill out. I think you may need to change jobs or something. It is easy to talk trash on a computer. Im sure you wouldnt say that to someones face.

Before I worked at a certain gun shop, I picked up 10 boxes of .223 in which I was only charged for half. I was at the range when I realized what had happened. I called the owner of the shop and explained what happened. The next week I showed up with the receipt and paid for the other 5 boxes.---TYPE01313
Diogenes is looking for you my friend. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Hi.

Stealing is wrong.

Lord have mercy.

Have you all lost your mind?

Do you not know ammo is heavily regulated by the ATF, State and Local Police?

Is potentially ending someone else's occupation and livelihood acceptable behavior?

Are all NES members more intelligent than all Dick's Sporting Goods employees?

Are all retail associates "idiots"?

Can somebody cite a moment in time when "C-pher" or "FiveseveN" ever called 9mm Luger "9 m-m Lugger"?

Do "C-pher" and "FiveseveN" not know what a Ruger 10/22 rifle is?

Could "C-pher" and "FiveseveN" possibly share instances in which licensed firearm owners displayed stupidity?

Why did I have to be born with nothing but a little dime roll in my pants?

Should retail associate's stand by silent while other's insult their occupation and intelligence?

Will you be sharing your story about stealing hundreds of dollars worth of ammunition with your CLEO when renewing your LTC?

How would that exchange go down?

Do mods on Northeastshooters actually follow the guidelines?

Or do they wait until someone insults a mod before they take action?

When can non-moderators take action?

Should non-moderators remain silent after other NES members insult them?

Do moderators have selective attention to such matters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexander the Great,

You know, one could have summed all that up in one post. Anyways, please allow me to retort.

stop_whining_and_get_a_life.jpg

bad-newbie-bad.jpg

Last edited:

WTF? The guy went into a store to purchase ammo, he was undercharged, corrected the associate twice and both times got grief from said associate. The store farked up, he won, end of story.

Alexander the Great , or FiveseveN, Dwayne Allman, Shane or who ever you are today. Your on thin ice. Pony up and contribute in a positive manner or you'll be bounced out of here..... again

Last edited:
I just wanted to clarify something. We've ended up discussing two different subjects here: The first is the specific mistake and attitude of the cashier. The second is the knowledge and customer service of salespeople.

In the case of the cashier, that I refer to as "stupidity." It's entirely her fault the mistake was made, and regardless of the fact that she made what should be considered an honest mistake, she refused to allow herself to be corrected. Mistakes + bad attitude = stupidity.

In the case of salespeople not having good product knowledge, I'm not trying to say they're stupid or any less of a person. However, I think it's very poor training on behalf of Dick's (or any retail store, for that matter) for failing to give them better training. Regardless of where a salesperson's expertise lies, they should have a solid understanding of all products they're responsible for. If they join the store with a background in one type of product, they should be trained more heavily in the others, because they're responsible for all the products they sell, not just the ones they like.

C-pher, you're a firearms guy there at Dick's, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a solid knowledge of the bow and fishing products you sell as well. What are the most popular bow models? What are the most popular fishing lures? What are the product differences between salt water and fresh water fishing? It may not be your passion, but it's stuff you've got to know.

We had a similar problem at my store. We hired a guy who was a Manga expert (Japanese comic books - a HUGE seller), and had a strong knowledge of music and movies. He was amazing - you could ask him ANYTHING about these departments, and he'd have an answer for you. However, he had no interest in the rest of the store's products. You ask him what the latest Oprah book was (something EVERY bookseller should be able to tell you in his/her sleep), or what was on the NYT best seller list, and he'd look at you like you had two heads. But the problem wasn't that he didn't know, it was that he didn't want to learn. But the fact of the matter was that he wasn't hired just to sell Manga and DVDs - he was hired to sell everything in the store. After about 9 months of this, we ended up having to let him go.

Point being is that just because it's not a salesperson's passion, doesn't mean they don't need to have a BASIC understanding of the products they sell.

Hi.

Stealing is wrong.
It's not stealing. Money was paid and a receipt was given to the customer with the price of $12 per case.

Have you all lost your mind?

Nope, I think that is your claim to fame.

Do you not know ammo is heavily regulated by the ATF, State and Local Police?

What point are you trying to make?

Is potentially ending someone else's occupation and livelihood acceptable behavior?

If I was the business owner and watched the transaction take place with the employee's comments I would have terminated employment on the spot.

Are all NES members more intelligent than all Dick's Sporting Goods employees?

Hardly, however in this case yes.

Are all retail associates "idiots"?

Hardly.

Can somebody cite a moment in time when "C-pher" or "FiveseveN" ever called 9mm Luger "9 m-m Lugger"?

Again what point are you trying to make?

Do "C-pher" and "FiveseveN" not know what a Ruger 10/22 rifle is?

Absolutely.

Could "C-pher" and "FiveseveN" possibly share instances in which licensed firearm owners displayed stupidity?

Probably.

Why did I have to be born with nothing but a little dime roll in my pants?

You're Irish? I don't know but I think they have pills that will make it bigger if it poses a problem.

Should retail associate's stand by silent while other's insult their occupation and intelligence?

That didn't happen

Will you be sharing your story about stealing hundreds of dollars worth of ammunition with your CLEO when renewing your LTC?

If the conversation goes that way yep.

How would that exchange go down?

He would probably ask to buy some boxes off of me.

Absolutely.

They take action when they feel it's necessary.

Read the above comment.

If there is an issue bring it to my attention.

That would be a big negative.

Point being is that just because it's not a salesperson's passion, doesn't mean they don't need to have a BASIC understanding of the products they sell.

Agreed, but as for what there is to know about fishing and bows... IT'S a lot... As is it is for people that don't know guns.

Anyway, I learn something new every day... Yet, I have to be careful what I tell people. There's a lot to bows where if I tell them the wrong information, I could get someone really hurt. So, while I can do the basics, there's some information that I just don't know. And no matter what you want me to tell you...if I have possibility of getting you hurt, I'm going to tell you that I don't know. Rather than tell you something I THINK and then have you get get hurt out in the woods. It's not as simple as picking up an arrow for any type of bow. You have to know bow sizes, cam sizes, poundages, what's your bow's length of pull set to...??? It's not as simple as people want to make it out to be.

Fishing, I can tell you the differences between salt and fresh. I can even tell you the most popular lures. And, if you're looking for an item related for fishing, I can show you where it is in the bazillion fishing products on the floor.

Still, without having the time to spend catching up on a lifetime of people that fish, I can only begin to understand the basics. I don't know all the fish species in the North East, I also don't know what might be the best lure for the pond in Norton vs the pond in Northbridge. And without having time to fish those areas, I can't really tell you the best thing for them.

And if you ask 10 people, you'll get 100 different answers. I can understand knowing what's on the best sellers list. That's tangable vs. knowing what lure will be the best for that trout on the stream behind your grandmothers house. It's hard to know unless I know what bugs are flying around, what statge larve might be in at that point in time.

It's not as simple as knowing a book that's on display at the front of your store...

So, knowing that, they hire people that can get by on the other items, but have a specialty in another. Maybe it's just the way that they do this store, I don't know. I can't speak for the store that you're shopping.

As has already been said, I don't see anything wrong with what happened. You made an honest attempt to correct the mistake, the cashier felt she was above correction, so be it. Perhaps she'll have a more open mind when her boss "corrects" her.

To be bluntly honest, when things like this happen to me, I don't even bother to say anything. For one, it's not my business to run YOUR business...if you make a mistake and undercharge me, that's a valuable lesson that I won't deprive you of learning. For two, the whole moral argument to me is self-serving hypocrisy at it's best...yeah, maybe it makes you feel all holier-than-thou for awhile for making an attempt at being "fair", but in that case you'd have to travel to China and "fairly" compensate all those 8 year old kids for building your VCR or sewing your Levi's for pennies a week. Just because the "immorality" in question is further up the supply chain doesn't mean you're not a contributor when you buy the products so either take the high-ground 100% or be honest with yourself and admit that in these situations trying to "do the right" thing is mostly a matter of convincing oneself that what they're about to do is "ok" so they won't feel bad about it later, not because they feel some genuine moral conflict.

"Buy low, sell high" is the mantra of business. They don't feel bad for the ridiculous profit they make on certain items, charging hundreds of dollars for what cost pennies to manufacture, why should I feel bad when they slip up and get a taste of their own medicine? Granted, a smaller mom and pop store is more likely to get a "pass" from me when something like this happens, depending on the service, but the big chains have made a fortune by exploiting people, pushing the little guy out of the game and generally taking the "Don't like the service? Tough! Where else are you gonna go?" approach to customer service. I don't lose any sleep for sticking it to them when I can.

As for the cashier...coming from someone who has done extensive sales work in the past...all I can say is "tough $hit". Nobody is "costing her her job" other than her. Stop being lazy and take the time to actually know your merchandise and you won't have to worry.

As for the cashier...coming from someone who has done extensive sales work in the past...all I can say is "tough $hit". Nobody is "costing her her job" other than her. Stop being lazy and take the time to actually know your merchandise and you won't have to worry.

And there are a half-dozen illegals waiting to take her place.

Damn....

I might just have to go find a certain Dick's and ask a certain employee all about the pros and cons on using a Hula Popper vs. a Red Devil Spinner.

Anyone else feeling bored?

Hey C-pher what nights are you on?

(^_^)

Just for the record, a Red Devil is a spoon, not a spinner. C-Pher, do they need any help down there?

Damn....

I might just have to go find a certain Dick's and ask a certain employee all about the pros and cons on using a Hula Popper vs. a Red Devil Spinner.

Anyone else feeling bored?

Hey C-pher what nights are you on?

(^_^)

Is a "hula popper" anything like a jalepeno popper? Just asking. [grin]

This thread should actually be titled, "I love stupid people."

So I stopped at Dick's this afternoon to pick up some ammo. Remington UMC was on sale for $12.98/box when you buy a case of 10 boxes (500 rounds), so I picked up two cases. The cases are typical bulk containers, sealed cardboard boxes with no pictures or merch. descriptions on them, just a written description and several bar codes.

So I bring the two cases up to the cashier. I should note that she wasn't the happiest, or most pleasant person in the world. When she asked for my ID, I handed her my LTC. She got all upset and lectured me on how I had to show her my driver's license or an official ID, not whatever it was I just handed her. I wasn't in the mood for a fight, so I just handed her my driver's license.

So then she tries to scan the bar codes on the case, but they don't work. I start to explain that she might have to open the case and scan the box inside, but she brushes me off. Then she finds the SKU # on the box, and types that in. Price: $12.98. She hit's 2x, and my final price was $27.26. I said, "Are you sure that's right?" She said, "Yes." Then I said, "Actually, I think you need too..." and she cuts me off and says, "Don't tell me how to do my job!"

That's all I needed to hear. I handed her a $20 and a $10, took my change, and off I went. Who am I to tell her how to do her job? Her boss will tell her, when he finds out she sold $260 worth of ammo for $28.

I WOULD HAVE GONE BACK AND GOT 2 MORE!

Not to prolong this thread any more than need be but I wanted mention that I went to a local Dick's on the north shore to pick up some 45 acp ammo and was quoted $12.98 per box But the sales person told me not to buy it as it will be on sale Sunday! I'l wait a couple of days to save a couple of bucks.

I'm sure the price won't be $12.98 per case but I'll take what I can get.

I just wanted to let everyone know so you can try to find that clerk and try to get a case for $9.99???!!

Back
Top Bottom